Updated The Bruce Lehrmann Trials * Justice Lee - "Mr Lehrmann raped Ms Higgins."

How long will the jury be out for?

• Back the same afternoon

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • One day

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • Two days

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Three to five days

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Over a week

Votes: 2 5.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Historical Rape Allegation Against Fmr AG Christian Porter
The Alexander Matters matters

Just a reminder, this is the crime board and we need to be aware that there will be victims of crime either watching this thread or engaging in here from time to time. A degree of respect in all discussions is expected.

LINK TO TIMELINE
CJS INQUIRY
FINAL REPORT – BOARD OF INQUIRY – CRIMINAL JUSTICE SYSTEM
Joint media statement – Chief Minister and Attorney-General

LINK TO FEDERAL COURT DEFAMATION PROCEEDINGS

Last edited:
Just a thought. Do we think that the CCTV/video surveillance in the corridors at Parliament House can record sound?
I think so.
And in the small hours of the morning, there might be a sound recording from the ministers office.

Maybe ask the Chinese ...

'Chinese-made cameras found in 88 MP offices'

'6:23PM FEBRUARY 14, 2023'

'The government has confirmed 122 Hikvision or Dahua devices – mainly surveillance cameras and intercoms – have been installed in 88 federal electorate offices, where members of the public come to meet their elected representatives.'

'The department has not committed to replacing the intercom systems, but says it will replace them “where required’’.'

Surely Canberrra's Federal Parliament House(s) did not have any of these Chinese devices that are now being belatedly and swiftly reviewed/replaced with less risky ones?

'Chinese-made cameras found in 88 MP offices'

'6:23PM FEBRUARY 14, 2023'

'The government has confirmed 122 Hikvision or Dahua devices – mainly surveillance cameras and intercoms – have been installed in 88 federal electorate offices, where members of the public come to meet their elected representatives.'

'The department has not committed to replacing the intercom systems, but says it will replace them “where required’’.'

Surely Canberrra's Federal Parliament House(s) did not have any of these Chinese devices that are now being belatedly and swiftly reviewed/replaced with less risky ones?
Their presence in Secure (sic) sites is every bit as concerning.
IF the paper trail is incomplete, heads must role.

Last edited:
Goodness, what a surprise, Murdoch's media is biased! I was interested to hear the defamations lawyers' thoughts at the end. I'm not a lawyer but my initial, unprofessional reaction was the same, he'd be a bloody fool to take this to court.

Is there anything in particular in the article that demonstrates your bias claim.
Even Joe the blind miner knows the ABC has a different view of life to the Murdoch Press. Is it your opinion being questioned that causes you to claim this represents bias.
Q: have you read the article?

“In addition to Mr Stokes’ role on Council, he contributed financial and in-kind support to the Memorial, in both a personal capacity and through his commercial operations. That support included donations of items to the Memorial’s National Collection, a number of Victoria Cross medals and the Thuillier Collection of First World War photographs featured in the exhibition Remember me: the lost diggers of Vignacourt.'

Is there anything in particular in the article that demonstrates your bias claim.
Even Joe the blind miner knows the ABC has a different view of life to the Murdoch Press. Is it your opinion being questioned that causes you to claim this represents bias.
Q: have you read the article?
The bias is obvious. The articles I have read in the Murdoch press always mention Wilkinson, but fail to mention that one of their media channels is being sued. Janet Albrechtsen is one of the worst at it. This is biased reporting.

The bias is obvious. The articles I have read in the Murdoch press always mention Wilkinson, but fail to mention that one of their media channels is being sued. Janet Albrechtsen is one of the worst at it. This is biased reporting.

Fyi, IF you would even know the difference between a reporter & a columnist.

'Janet Albrechtsen is an opinion columnist with The Australian. She has worked as a solicitor in commercial law, and attained a Doctorate of Juridical Studies from the University of Sydney. She has written for numerous other publications including the Australian Financial Review, The Age, The Sydney Morning Herald, The Sunday Age, and The Wall Street Journal.'

I trust you were home schooled, though there are many on BF without any idea of the role of a reporter - see the ABC MD's performance in front of the Senate Commitee yesterday backing down on the 'white supremacy' claim from ABC radio & repeated on the TV breakfast show. I'd link an ABC report on this but they dont report that for some reason.

Fyi, IF you would even know the difference between a reporter & a columnist.

'Janet Albrechtsen is an opinion columnist with The Australian. She has worked as a solicitor in commercial law, and attained a Doctorate of Juridical Studies from the University of Sydney. She has written for numerous other publications including the Australian Financial Review, The Age, The Sydney Morning Herald, The Sunday Age, and The Wall Street Journal.'

I trust you were home schooled, though there are many on BF without any idea of the role of a reporter - see the ABC MD's performance in front of the Senate Commitee yesterday backing down on the 'white supremacy' claim from ABC radio & repeated on the TV breakfast show. I'd link an ABC report on this but they dont report that for some reason.
I don't think the issue of Jounalist/reporter/columnist is germane in this conversation at all. Irrelevant.

I don't think the issue of Jounalist/reporter/columnist is germane in this conversation at all. Irrelevant.

How very self serving, acknowledging your lack of understanding and the fact you have not read Ms Albrechtsen opinion & are regurgitating an ABC opinion of her work. Lazy CD.

Last edited:

Given the ABC choose not to report the MD's missteps, perhaps The Guardian might be acceptable to the blinkered news coverage you engage with.

How very self serving, acknowledging your lack of understanding and the fact you have not read Ms Albrechtsen opinion & are regurgitating an ABC opinion of her work. Lazy CD.

Do you think most people know the difference?

The inbreds on my wife's side of the family all watch Sky "News" and believe every word the great unwashed on there have to say. The same people also read the papers. A columnist and a journalist are one and the same as far as an awful lot of people are concerned.

The inbreds on my wife's side of the family all watch Sky "News" and believe every word the great unwashed on there have to say. The same people also read the papers. A columnist and a journalist are one and the same as far as an awful lot of people are concerned.

I agree & its not only on one side.
I have Sky & dont watch Bolt or Rowan Dean because they do NOT know opinion from fact themselves. La Tingle & Grant are no different on the ABC.
I have the time to try & get across both political sides of an issue.

More to the point, in 2023 the tabloid press - which encompasses virtually all of the Murdoch stable in Australia - do not make the distinction.

Their business model is now solely dependent on advertising revenue as opposed to newspaper sales and subscriptions. This requires ALL their main contributors to write articles that maximise click traffic to their online articles. Accuracy, context and transparency run a distant second to content that generates controversy and hysteria for the Murdoch media.

This applies as much to Janet Albrechtsen as it does to Paul Kelly or Greg Sheridan.

To compare the journalistic standards of the ABC, which is governed by specific legislation and regulation (the ABC Act and the Public Governance, Performance and Accountability Act) with regards to accuracy and objectivity, with Sky News is just ignorant nonsense.

Kwality lecturing others for their 'lack of understanding' while (yet again) clearly demonstrating his own superficial comprehension of the subject matter is par for the course in this thread.

Last edited:
More to the point, in 2023 the tabloid press - which encompasses virtually all of the Murdoch stable in Australia - do not make the distinction.

Their business model that drives is now solely dependent on advertising revenue as opposed to newspaper sales and subscriptions. This requires ALL their main contributors to write articles that maximise click traffic to their online articles. Accuracy and context are secondary to content that generates controversy and hysteria.

This applies as much to Janet Albrechtsen as it does to Paul Kelly or Greg Sheridan.

Kwality lecturing others for their 'lack of understanding' while (yet again) clearly demonstrating his own superficial comprehension of the subject matter is par for the course in this thread.

Lecturing, its my opinion.

No different to your pseudo legal opinion on the Lehrman trial, e.g the role of the Victim Support Commissioner. Your opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lecturing, its my opinion.

No different to your pseudo legal opinion on the Lehrman trial, e.g the role of the Victim Support Commissioner. Your opinion.

So you are happy with the state of journalism in this country then?

Do you think the Murdoch mob provide fair and balanced commentary? Do you think that they report actual news accurately?

Goodness, what a surprise, Murdoch's media is biased! I was interested to hear the defamations lawyers' thoughts at the end. I'm not a lawyer but my initial, unprofessional reaction was the same, he'd be a bloody fool to take this to court.

Although he wasn't named, Lehrmann needs to prove he was identified by both Maiden and Wilkinson which is a pretty big hurdle.

The analogy used I felt was fitting "This looks like being a high stakes game of poker to see who folds first."

Justin Quill defamation lawyer. :D

JustinQuill.png

Although he wasn't named, Lehrmann needs to prove he was identified by both Maiden and Wilkinson which is a pretty big hurdle.

The analogy used I felt was fitting "This looks like being a high stakes game of poker to see who folds first."

Justin Quill defamation lawyer. :D

View attachment 1607748

Thomson Geer are representing channel 10.

Lisa Wilkinson dumps Channel 10 lawyers in case against Bruce Lehrmann

They would have probably known that back in early December, if they weren't already on retainer.

So he may be correct, but still, he would say that wouldn't he.

I agree & its not only on one side.
I have Sky & dont watch Bolt or Rowan Dean because they do NOT know opinion from fact themselves. La Tingle & Grant are no different on the ABC.
Yep. Murdoch press is his propaganda, ABC is government propaganda (both channels mixed in with facts as well).

To compare the journalistic standards of the ABC, which is governed by specific legislation and regulation (the ABC Act and the Public Governance, Performance and Accountability Act) with regards to accuracy and objectivity, with Sky News is just ignorant nonsense.
ABC is just as poor as Murdoch/Fairfax/Guardian sometimes. You think they always tell you the facts about what our government, who owns them, is doing? Accountability? Try making a complaint and let us know how they respond. Hint: they don't.

Ever wonder why the presenters go out of their way not to mention commercial brands, yet ABC/JJJ can run advertorials and promote certain for-profit goods and services? Just like Murdoch? ABC is not what you think it is, and they rely on viewers' misguided sense smug superiority over 'inbreds' who watch Sky/Murdoch.

Thomson Geer are representing channel 10.

Lisa Wilkinson dumps Channel 10 lawyers in case against Bruce Lehrmann

They would have probably known that back in early December, if they weren't already on retainer.

So he may be correct, but still, he would say that wouldn't he.

Tens lawyers didnt know Wilkinson was going alone:
'The move came less than a day after the network’s legal team lodged papers declaring they would be representing her.'

Tens lawyers didnt know Wilkinson was going alone:
'The move came less than a day after the network’s legal team lodged papers declaring they would be representing her.'

Only reason I can think Wilkinson would go it alone is because she won't want pressure from Channel 10 to settle. Smart.

It's war.

So you are happy with the state of journalism in this country then?

Do you think the Murdoch mob provide fair and balanced commentary? Do you think that they report actual news accurately?

I shop around both the opinion & the facts I am presented by the range of media on offer.

I'm not happy with the state of journalism full stop. Believing one source is always correct beggars belief. I'm not suggesting you believe that.

Imho most journalists & their editors/producers are unable to distinguish between fact & opinion as the ABC did once upon a time. Not so these days, the MD of the ABC battling to answer for failures in management/producers/the journo in the reporting of white supremacy claims that went to air on ABC Radio & were repeated the next morning on ABC morning TV. Two weeks on, Anderson does not know who was responsible for the utensil up. Are ABC listeners/viewers across the utensil up?

The Australian offers a range of opinion on many issues, & it is up to the reader to draw a conclusion. Thats not to say there is not opinion.
Sky News is a mixture of fact with both opinion & political flavour at play. I'd suggest it is no less slanted than the ABC is to other side of politics.

ABC is just as poor as Murdoch/Fairfax/Guardian sometimes. You think they always tell you the facts about what our government, who owns them, is doing? Accountability? Try making a complaint and let us know how they respond. Hint: they don't.
The reporting (and non-reporting) of Covid and Ukraine-related issues have been nothing short of propaganda.

Whenever I have written to correct factual (and provable) errors I never received a response and there were never any corrections. ABC is taxpayer-funded garbage.

I shop around both the opinion & the facts I am presented by the range of media on offer.

I'm not happy with the state of journalism full stop. Believing one source is always correct beggars belief. I'm not suggesting you believe that.

Imho most journalists & their editors/producers are unable to distinguish between fact & opinion as the ABC did once upon a time. Not so these days, the MD of the ABC battling to answer for failures in management/producers/the journo in the reporting of white supremacy claims that went to air on ABC Radio & were repeated the next morning on ABC morning TV. Two weeks on, Anderson does not know who was responsible for the utensil up. Are ABC listeners/viewers across the utensil up?

The Australian offers a range of opinion on many issues, & it is up to the reader to draw a conclusion. Thats not to say there is not opinion.
Sky News is a mixture of fact with both opinion & political flavour at play. I'd suggest it is no less slanted than the ABC is to other side of politics.

So, when you have listened/watched all the sources of information (media not bloke next door/best friend, etc), how do you then decide which version you will believe?

So, when you have listened/watched all the sources of information (media not bloke next door/best friend, etc), how do you then decide which version you will believe?
You just got to make up your own mind then, don't you? Personally, I don't bother too much any more with any political news or anything else that doesn't affect me (except true crime, of course :)). That's where most of the propogada occurs.

Read the sports, crime, weather, some food/farming stuff... anything else, what's the point? It's just intended to manipulate us and pit us against each other IMO.

I agree with all of that and I think we can see from your response that it is rather complex. I also think, agree or disagree with you that you are of relatively high intelligence and if I take your response at face value, I suggest that those of a more "modest" IQ would find it almost impossible to distinguish opinion from actual fact based news in our dailies and on our "news" feeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back