The clubs not serious about memberships (Unless you're Victorian)

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 5, 2015
West of Woop Woop
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Marconi, Arsenal, GreenEdge
Hi guys,

I just got my membership package, living in Country NSW Ive had a "Sideline" membership for years now. Nothing else on offer makes any sense. The "Interstate" membership offers 1 game in my state and 4 at Marvel FFS! Thats a country Vic membership. If you live anywhere beyond probably Wagga Marvels not viable.

I would buy 4 interstate memberships if they were for real and offered me 2 games in my state (if played that year obviously), and Id buy 2 pet memberships if they were offered (like Collingwood does/did). Send me 2 dog tags and my kelpies would be happy.

Im not about to splash $135 for 1 game in my state. Memberships have to be attractive. Im prepared to pay a premium but not that much for a bog standard seat that would cost me $20 from ticketek.

Im happy to be a sideline member while thats all thats being offered (I get a $60 hat) but I had to ring the club to get that coz I know it exists but it isnt on the website. How many interstate fansgo through the "pick your membership" tool and get cut out like I just did?
Q1 I support AFL,
Q2 No I wont be going to Marvel,
Q3 No I wont be going to Mars,
Q4 No I dont need online viewing (I have Kayo),
Submit - Nothing. Not even a "sorry we dont cater for you coz youre not in Victoria, maybe you should support a club in your state!" Which, being honest is what the club is telling me.

How any of interstate fans would get an interstate membership if it was real and offered them something? Or would they get a sideline membership if they knew it existed? Just for the pride of wearing a 2022 member hat? Some would.

And while Im not changing clubs anytime soon, my sons are 19 and 21, living in Sydney and Brisbane, they might think about jumping ship if the club doesnt start considering them. My 21 year old lives walking distance from the Gabba, hes gonna be tempted.

Sorry about the rant but Im a little bit cranky

The club is costing itself 5 memberships by not being serious about its membership options.

Last edited:
Our options suck arse. I had a look at Essendons membership options the other day and the flexibility they have is pretty damn good compared to our “3 game 6 game 9 game gold silver or bronze” options.

Agreed- used to live in Melbourne and was at the footy basically every weekend. Moved back to Canberra (reasons) and just find the membership options underwhelming. I've been to plenty of games up in NSW against GWS/Sydney, and we often have GWS play the dogs at Manuka. More than one interstate game would be welcome for the interstate membership.

I don't even mind the Marvel games attached to the interstate membership but four isn't good value for me. I really only get to Melbourne once or twice a year to watch a game if I'm lucky.

A 2 home + 2 away membership would work well for me - but until then I'll stick with sideline.

I just pay for an interstate membership each year regardless of whether I can see a game. I get that much worth in pleasure watching the club, even if I only see every second game on TV and none live. If I get to see two games live it's a good year (last year was three, I think!)
So for me it's just a $135 donation. I understand that not everyone can do that though - many need to see genuine value for their money.

I suspect we focus more on our Victorian based members than some other clubs because of our history of not being a widely supported club. We certainly need to lock in those members and make sure they are looked after. However a bit more effort on the Bulldog diaspora who are spread all over the country wouldn't hurt. I reckon we could easily clock up another 2-3 thousand members around the country with some better tailored offerings as suggested in the OP. Five from the OP just to start with!

Outback Footy have you written to the club about your disenchantment? You might end up doing both yourself and the club a favour if they can see the value in offering some better constructed membership packages.

I just pay for an interstate membership each year regardless of whether I can see a game. I get that much worth in pleasure watching the club, even if I only see every second game on TV and none live. If I get to see two games live it's a good year (last year was three, I think!)
So for me it's just a $135 donation. I understand that not everyone can do that though - many need to see genuine value for their money.

I suspect we focus more on our Victorian based members than some other clubs because of our history of not being a widely supported club. We certainly need to lock in those members and make sure they are looked after. However a bit more effort on the Bulldog diaspora who are spread all over the country wouldn't hurt. I reckon we could easily clock up another 2-3 thousand members around the country with some better tailored offerings as suggested in the OP. Five from the OP just to start with!

Outback Footy have you written to the club about your disenchantment? You might end up doing both yourself and the club a favour if they can see the value in offering some better constructed membership packages.
Cheers dogwatch, agreed, thats why I get the Sideline membership. Its something at least. I recon theres a lot more than 2-3000 potential members out there. Particularly with the hot team weve got atm. I play sport with 2. In Dubbo (NRL central)!

And yes Ive written to the club, I got a form response, I said this didnt answer me and hopefully someone would respond. Nothing since.

Hi guys,

I just got my membership package, living in Country NSW Ive had a "Sideline" membership for years now. Nothing else on offer makes any sense. The "Interstate" membership offers 1 game in my state and 4 at Marvel FFS! Thats a country Vic membership. If you live anywhere beyond probably Wagga Marvels not viable.

I would buy 4 interstate memberships if they were for real and offered me 2 games in my state (if played that year obviously), and Id buy 2 pet memberships if they were offered (like Collingwood does/did). Send me 2 dog tags and my kelpies would be happy.

Im not about to splash $135 for 1 game in my state. Memberships have to be attractive. Im prepared to pay a premium but not that much for a bog standard seat that would cost me $20 from ticketek.

Im happy to be a sideline member while thats all thats being offered (I get a $60 hat) but I had to ring the club to get that coz I know it exists but it isnt on the website. How many interstate fansgo through the "pick your membership" tool and get cut out like I just did?
Q1 I support AFL,
Q2 No I wont be going to Marvel,
Q3 No I wont be going to Mars,
Q4 No I dont need online viewing (I have Kayo),
Submit - Nothing. Not even a "sorry we dont cater for you coz youre not in Victoria, maybe you should support a club in your state!" Which, being honest is what the club is telling me.

How any of interstate fans would get an interstate membership if it was real and offered them something? Or would they get a sideline membership if they knew it existed? Just for the pride of wearing a 2022 member hat? Some would.

And while Im not changing clubs anytime soon, my sons are 19 and 21, living in Sydney and Brisbane, they might think about jumping ship if the club doesnt start considering them. My 21 year old lives walking distance from the Gabba, hes gonna be tempted.

Sorry about the rant but Im a little bit cranky

The club is costing itself 5 memberships by not being serious about its membership options.
It might be worth writing to the club. Hopefully they'd reassess the packages if it was going to cost then members. Particularly if other clubs had better packages they could replicate.

It might be worth writing to the club. Hopefully they'd reassess the packages if it was going to cost then members. Particularly if other clubs had better packages they could replicate.
Yeah hopefully I hear back from them. Or at least an internal discussion gets started.

It seems a no brainer, particularly with all the work weve been doing in the Territory. Sidelines the only thing that makes any sense for them and its not even on the website.

If we want to be taken seriously increase our membership has to be a primary goal (2nd only to success on field). Offer pople options and the club might be pleasantly suprised.

Agreed- used to live in Melbourne and was at the footy basically every weekend. Moved back to Canberra (reasons) and just find the membership options underwhelming. I've been to plenty of games up in NSW against GWS/Sydney, and we often have GWS play the dogs at Manuka. More than one interstate game would be welcome for the interstate membership.

I don't even mind the Marvel games attached to the interstate membership but four isn't good value for me. I really only get to Melbourne once or twice a year to watch a game if I'm lucky.

A 2 home + 2 away membership would work well for me - but until then I'll stick with sideline.
Cheers Sammo, Im happy to drive to Canberra or Sydney for a game, and I do every chance I get, but Melbournes 10+ hours away from here. Its a non-starter. 2+2 makes much more sense than whats on offer. Id buy those.

I didn’t know about the sideline membership either. But - I don’t know that you could attach a Social Club add-on to it, which as we know you need to have to be guaranteed a GF ticket 😀. I think you need full membership, which interstate is counted as being.
True. I dont get guaranteed GF access with Sideline. Im ok with that, Ive bene doing it for years.

But the club doesnt promote Sideline anymore for some reason. And surely there are more fans than just me who would get it to help the club and boost membership numbers.

Whats annoying is in a year where we are pushing for increased memberships the best we can offer to interstate fans is a membership thats most attractive to country Vic and nearby fans. Its easy from Wagga or Canberra to get to Melbourne for a weekend, not so much for me or anybody north. As I said in the OP what about Qld, WA, NT, Tas, SA etc etc fans? As another fan said, even a 2+2 (home and away) membership would work better for most than the current 4+1.

The club is costing itself members.

Ive yet to hear from the club. Still waiting.

It would be interesting to know what it cost's the club to offer games interstate to interstate members.......someone has to pay the piper (stadiums).
True, but generally General Admission tix interstate are cheaper than Melbourne. Maybe there would be a premium, fine I'll pay a premium, s**t, I currently pay $60 for a hat! And the knowledge Im helping the club. If they offered an interstate membership with just the interstate game it would make more sense than whats currently labelled as "Interstate". 4 games at Marvel + 1 interstate game!! Cost that interstate game however you need to but at least its a fair dinkum attempt to encourage fans around the country. Tack on a game at marvel if contractually necessary (cant see why it would be but the club has signed some funny contracts over the years). Better yet 2 home + 2 away, as a commentator said earlier.

Or promote the Sideline membership thats currently invisible. Whats happeing now is just stupid.

I just rang and spoke with membership, old mate said that offering 1 interstate game cost $60-70 and then said that offering only 1 game at Marvel would cost the same as the 4 being offered now. So a 1+1 membership (home and away) would cost the same to me as the current 4+1 offering.

Oh and the Sideline membership hides in with "Add Ons", how did I miss that? Heres me looking for a membership when really what I want is an add on to an existing ... wait ... ?

He did say theyd look at fixing the questionnaire that currently directs me to nothing, if you cant get to games they'll now direct you to Sideline. Thats a win I guess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would be interesting to know what it cost's the club to offer games interstate to interstate members.......someone has to pay the piper (stadiums).
Hi Hoian, I posted earlier but not in reply to you. I spoke with the club this morning, apparently it costs $60-70 for an away seat. He claimed it would be a similar cost for 1 home + 1 away as the current 4 home + 1 away offering.

Hi Hoian, I posted earlier but not in reply to you. I spoke with the club this morning, apparently it costs $60-70 for an away seat. He claimed it would be a similar cost for 1 home + 1 away as the current 4 home + 1 away offering.
Geez, i was thinking may $15 but i am not up with current admission pricing.

I got a free game at the Gabba in 2019. Whoopee! It was a bad day on many levels. I won't mention getting there, but that wouldn't have mattered if we'd won. But we lost, badly; most of the action took place on the far side of the ground (always the way when I go to games :think: ); the stands were packed and I had the added misfortune of sitting behind the largest, baldest, most tattooed Lions supporter, who stood up cheering loudly every time his team kicked a goal, seemingly every 2 minutes, then glared around at our little red, white and blue silent group. Not in a hurry to repeat the experience.

I got a free game at the Gabba in 2019. Whoopee! It was a bad day on many levels. I won't mention getting there, but that wouldn't have mattered if we'd won. But we lost, badly; most of the action took place on the far side of the ground (always the way when I go to games :think: ); the stands were packed and I had the added misfortune of sitting behind the largest, baldest, most tattooed Lions supporter, who stood up cheering loudly every time his team kicked a goal, seemingly every 2 minutes, then glared around at our little red, white and blue silent group. Not in a hurry to repeat the experience.
Just remember how he would have felt after the siren at last year's semi final. That should make you feel better. His big fat bald head probably exploded. 🙂

Remove this Banner Ad

Back