Analysis The Coach – Simon Goodwin: "Working incredibly hard" until at least 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Wasn’t he also guilty, along with Clarko, of going berko at a kids match? Pretty sure, only he was in media by then and had to do one contrite soliloquy On The Couch and it was all forgotten
Cant remember but good on him if he did. Teach them young to take criticism and a bake.

Cant remember but good on him if he did. Teach them young to take criticism and a bake.
I think it was more that he tried to assault an umpire, but that seems reasonable on a few levels too

Imagine Goody going nuts at our players for s**t ball movement and no forward leading like this, the fan base would love him.....

Lol workplace bullying these days. I cooped these sprays under 18s didn't bother me at all

These days it's just goody rubbing their shoulders whispering it's not us into their ears.

This is pretty much true. The AFL ‘accredited’ media aren’t really commentators or analysts, they are sales people. So they don’t feel the need to look too closely at the state of the game or the general unwatchable quality of so many games. Because they are basically trying to sell. It’s like real estate agents really who crap on about the advantageous aspect of a property where the foundations have crumbled.

Which leaves lots of space for debating whether this or that guy being outed on social media doing coke is the right example for the kids, or whether Melbourne members are campaigners because they don’t cheer at all the right places.
They are glorified gossip reporters, it's more interesting to them to find a headline about something a player in the media said than actually dissect teams.
The analysis of footy is 90% "they brought the heat" "moved the ball quicker"
Apart from when Gaz took it personally and did the rest mist on the couch about us I reckon I've spent more time in the lab than I've seen on any footy show about why our forward entries don't work

Lol workplace bullying these days. I cooped these sprays under 18s didn't bother me at all

These days it's just goody rubbing their shoulders whispering it's not us into their ears.

My u16 coach used to treat me like Rocket Eade treated Brian Lake, didn’t bother me at the time. Actually had a lot of respect for the guy.

My u16 coach used to treat me like Rocket Eade treated Brian Lake, didn’t bother me at the time. Actually had a lot of respect for the guy.
I loved that s**t especially when theyd give the group a huge bake, leave a couple seconds silence then pull you in together and go right now let's ******* get em boys!

It's also a personality thing, I often could get a bit comfortable and those bakes would make me wanna prove the campaigner wrong

I loved that s*t especially when theyd give the group a huge bake, leave a couple seconds silence then pull you in together and go right now let's ****** get em boys!

It's also a personality thing, I often could get a bit comfortable and those bakes would make me wanna prove the campaigner wrong
Different generation unfortunately.

Started playing senior footy when I was 14 and pretty much stayed right through even to now where im still having a kick (im 34 now).

I can absolutely tell you that even with how young I was back then I certainly didn't get left off the hook in terms of getting a spray. But I didn't give a stuff, I badly wanted to play senior footy and I had enormous amount of respect for my senior coach because back then you were just taught to respect the big dog in the chair and i always felt they were father figures as well to us young fellas. And honestly back then, you just copped it on the chin because if I wanted to mix it with the big boys I had to simply grow up fast and just accept that this is how it is.

I do some part time development work with the Murray Bushrangers under 15's and 16's and now days there a lot more resources invested in the wellbeing and welfare side of things more then I have ever seen. There is still and element of kids needing to be pulled back into line but certainly nothing like it was back when I was coming up through the ranks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Different generation unfortunately.

Started playing senior footy when I was 14 and pretty much stayed right through even to now where im still having a kick (im 34 now).

I can absolutely tell you that even with how young I was back then I certainly didn't get left off the hook in terms of getting a spray. But I didn't give a stuff, I badly wanted to play senior footy and I had enormous amount of respect for my senior coach because back then you were just taught to respect the big dog in the chair and i always felt they were father figures as well to us young fellas. And honestly back then, you just copped it on the chin because if I wanted to mix it with the big boys I had to simply grow up fast and just accept that this is how it is.

I do some part time development work with the Murray Bushrangers under 15's and 16's and now days there a lot more resources invested in the wellbeing and welfare side of things more then I have ever seen. There is still and element of kids needing to be pulled back into line but certainly nothing like it was back when I was coming up through the ranks.
I'll never forget we had Tom Hafey come down and train us when I was 14, there was a point where he didn't think we were listening to him properly and he went right through us. Even took the time to learn what ladder position we were in so he could use it against us.

Loved that stuff.

Is it just me or is Goodwin now officially taking the piss as head coach. The early 2024 signs would indicate yes.

1) allows a 10 goal run on against a bog ordinary Richmond.

2) treats a practice match in 36 degree heat as some kind of final therefore leaving us buggered by 3 qtr time of the opening game a week later. Meanwhile Sydney rests Warner and Gulden in their last praccy.

3) Starts Billings as the sub for the lolz.

4) gets beaten in inside 50’s and on the inside which I thought were our strengths under Goodwin football..

5) Has a score line of 1.8 before the half time siren which I’m absolutely convinced Goody ordered to the players just to razz up the media after the 55,000 articles written about our conversion and connectivity. 7.2 in the second half suggested to me that crazy Goody said “righto buys, you can stop with the inaccuracy”

I'll never forget we had Tom Hafey come down and train us when I was 14, there was a point where he didn't think we were listening to him properly and he went right through us. Even took the time to learn what ladder position we were in so he could use it against us.

Loved that stuff.
Ha.. I've had a Tom Hafey session at senior level as well.

Fantastic fella who implemented some really old school fitness work on the night. Then as everyone was sitting down or a Thursday night meal and a beer, he requested a cup of tea instead. Body was a temple, but a ripping fella!

Ha.. I've had a Tom Hafey session at senior level as well.

Fantastic fella who implemented some really old school fitness work on the night. Then as everyone was sitting down or a Thursday night meal and a beer, he requested a cup of tea instead. Body was a temple, but a ripping fella!
Must have held a training sesh at every club in Victoria, what a legend.

I had a coach who said hit guys behind play because they're going to do it you anyway. That's some old school coaching haha.
* yeah our coach Vaughno from Tarwin Lower after we were getting a touch up at half time grabbed a few of us and gave us a massive spray and said you gonna ******* let those campaigners embarass ya at your own home ground. Go out and make em ******* earn it.

We had 4 blokes sent off and also hurt a couple in massive contests. That was round 9 in an under 18s game.

* yeah our coach Vaughno from Tarwin Lower after we were getting a touch up at half time grabbed a few of us and gave us a massive spray and said you gonna ******* let those campaigners embarass ya at your own home ground. Go out and make em ******* earn it.

We had 4 blokes sent off and also hurt a couple in massive contests. That was round 9 in an under 18s game.
I think the 1958 gf was an upset because Collingwood played dirty which put melbourne off their game. Don't think Collingwood beat melbourne all year. Sometimes you got to do what ya gotta do.

I think the 1958 gf was an upset because Collingwood played dirty which put melbourne off their game. Don't think Collingwood beat melbourne all year. Sometimes you got to do what ya gotta do.
If you can't rise to their level nothing wrong with bringing em down to yours.
We had a great home record at Tarwin cause teams were s**t scared to come to our ground.

Vis a vis the Tholstrup announcement, one small thing I like about Goody is that he never makes a debutant the sub (that I can recall). I think he recognises the importance of your first game and not sitting on the pine for 3 and a half quarters.

Zero enjoyment watching this team. . 🥱

Keep the Ls coming, give us a nice pick on the way out the door Goody. I want 2019 bad.
4-1 with a much improved style of play and synergy up forward, still feel the same?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back