Opinion The Evolution of Your Best 22 for 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Main difference being they made the most of their opportunities and won a premeirship - where as we let it slip, missed opertunities early against the Hawks when we dominated the game but not the scoreboard cost us a premeirship.
Yeah well you can be the best team in the home & away but means nothing if you can't win the premiership. We were minor premiers a couple of times with nothing to show for it. Apart from 2004. Doggies won this years premiership from 5th. Now they jagged it I don't care what anyone says. Only other team to jag it were the Cows 97/98 .

Yeah well you can be the best team in the home & away but means nothing if you can't win the premiership. We were minor premiers a couple of times with nothing to show for it. Apart from 2004. Doggies won this years premiership from 5th. Now they jagged it I don't care what anyone says. Only other team to jag it were the Cows 97/98 .
They were 7th.

Out of the 4 I remember but my point is nobody has won out of the top 4 until now. Call it luck,jag,umpires & even Giligans bye round before the finals. Not sure it will happen again anytime soon.
The bye has definitely almost rendered finishing top 4 and winning in the first week detrimental because you're having 2 byes in 3 weeks and go into the prelim with no consistency.

The bye has definitely almost rendered finishing top 4 and winning in the first week detrimental because you're having 2 byes in 3 weeks and go into the prelim with no consistency.
It was a pathetic idea to begin with. Took away all the anticipation of finals. Hope it never happens again.

There's never just one reasob..it's the culmination of a lot of things and if we had the weeks break I believe we would have had a better chance..you wont convince me otherwise

We didn't loose because we wernt fresh though, we dominated early and not putting in in the score board followed by letting the Hawks build up a strong lead cost us the game. From there we spend the rest of the game playing catch up and very very nearly got it done. If we'd kicked goals instead of points early on we win comfortably.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's shown this year that it makes it an even playing field in the finals. Perfect for the AFL because they didn't like the fact only 4 teams were a chance, now all of the top 7 can be.
The whole point of top 4 was the rest factor on winning the first final. Ok finish 8th who gives a s**t.

That's it, I have finally seen the light.

The AFL ahould take the premiership off the Bulldogs and give it to us.

Hey guys and girls, sorry to intrude but looking to visit all the club best 22's over the next couple of weeks before Xmas. I'm up to Port Adelaide so here's my crack at your best 22. Appreciate any feedback

FB: Darcy Byrne Jones ~ Logan Austin ~ Tom Jonas
HB: Matthew Broadbent ~ Jack Hombsch ~ Jasper Pittard

CENTRE: Hamish Hartlett ~ Travis Boak ~ Jared Polec
FOLL: Jackson Trengove ~ Oliver Wines ~ Robbie Gray

HF: Jarman Impey ~ Charlie Dixon ~ Sam Gray
FF: Justin Westhoff ~ Patrick Ryder ~ Chad Wingard

INT: Sam Powell Pepper ~ Brad Ebert ~ Matthew White ~ Riley Bonner

Start off in the back pocket with Byrne Jones. Not a highly skilled defender but he has courage beyond his inexperience and has the discipline required to handle a dangerous small forward. Fast at ground level and not one to shirk a contest. Will become a main stay of the Power team for years to come hopefully.

With Jonas in the other back pocket is the experience necessary to assist the other relatively inexperienced last line defenders. Aggressive player who like Byrne Jones doesn't shirk a contest even if it costs him a lengthy suspension... just kidding, i hold no grudge against Jonas. He copped his fair whack at the tribunal and I genuinely hope it doesn't change his game style. Just needs to be more disciplined with it especially as a leader around the club. The role that I have him playing is basically a third tall defender.

Broadbent and Pittard are the main instigators for defensive drive and carry from the back half which is a role I'd love to see Bonner get involved in as well as well as some outside run and class by foot in the midfield, hence why i picked him there.

There's possibly a rotating role for SPP available in the back half as well if you wanted to test his game defensively but that's not where his best use is obviously.

Austin got some good expsoure in 2016 against big name key position forwards which was great for his development no boubt. Clurey will keep him honest at selection but I think if fit selection in Round 1 is a good reward for Austin.

Hombsch has had some big asks as a CHB but hasn't been flustered under the pressure. Big job for him now with no Carlile to fall back on anymore, he is the most experienced key defender in the team but shows great maturity and leadership.

Hartlett (right foot wing) and Polec (left foot wing) rule the first choice wings for me. Both players that can win the ball in space, run with it and kick it long. Those two along with Matt White and other rotating mids balance the bigger bodied inside presence of Wines, Ebert and SPP out well.

An ideal set up for Port in my opinion wouild see to see Pittard and Bonner use there skills as outside midfielders as well however I'm aware that Bonner doesn't need to be pushed to deep to quickly. You want him to be a 10 - 15 year player for the club.

Boak is a top notch midfielder and a great leader for the Power, leads by example week after week and I'm sure would make his team mates walk taller. Wines and Robbie Gray add a contested ball ball and lethally damaging midfielder into the starting midfield 3.

I'm an unashamed fan of Wines, have been so since his draft year and followed his career closely at Port. Beast at the clearances and seems the most likely successor to Boak as captain. Testament to how highly he is regarded is how much Port miss him when unavailable.

Gray reminds me a lot of Ablett Junior the way he gets around. Great story of resillience winning multiple B & F's after a shocking knee injury in 2013. With his ability to sniff out a goal he is arguably the MVP for Port.

I've gone with Trengove in the ruck. Liked his work when thrown there in 2016. His competitiveness around the ground and aggression at the contest, even though undersized make him a very viable ruck option, particularly if the 3rd man up at ruck contests rule stays in 2017. With games under his belt I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Ryder take number one ruck duties again during 2017 however.

The biggest change to the 2016 forward line is the addition of Ryder. It's clear to see that Dixon needs solid help in the KPF posts and as good a role player as Westhoff is he doesn't cut the mustard as a KPP for me. Far better served as a 3rd tall forward drawing the 3rd tall defender from the opposition which having Dixon and Ryder allows that to happen.

Impey has work to do to repay the faith of the club and team mates after his recent off field indiscretion but I'm backing him in. Adaptable enough to play small at either end of the ground but with his opposition pressure he will keep the ball locked inside 50 for the Power forwards. Off the other flank I've got Sam Gray who is capable of going into that second tier midfield group as well. Knows how to find the ball and can hit the scoreboard, he keeps more experienced names like Monfries and Neade in the SANFL but they are able to slot straight in if he slips up.

Dixon if he can get his body right is so dangerous. Not many defenders that can go with him for size I think living away from the shadow of Tom Lynch and the GC lifestyle is good for his footy. Having him alongside Ryder initially in the key posts is a potentially lethal partnership if they can work together well.

Don't need to add much about Wingard. His a jet, everyone knows that, even the neutral supporters like me. One of the most exciting young players to watch in the league, just makes things happen.

SPP I've touched on a couple of times. Got some good exposure in the WAFL seniors in 2016 and likes wines from the 2012 draft is ready made to impact as a midfielder in 2017. Alongside Ebert they form a bigger bodied partnership in the second tier midfield.

I can't knock Ebert to much. Works to his strengths very well but there's areas of his game that are still the same as they were at West Coast. Would I take him back at West Coast if the opportunity arose now, I personally don't think so. Still super fit and an endurance runner but doesn't have genuine speed.

Matt White is the line breaking outside midfielder to compliment Ebert and SPP in the second tier midfield and possibly be a defensive weapon to keep the ball locked inside the forward 50.

Bonner is a kid who like SPP I rate highly and although less experienced than guys like Neade, Monfries and Young I see him as a definite part of the future where as Monfries and to a lesser extent Neade are surplus to small forward needs. Adds some needed extra carry and a good kick from the back half or outside midfield.

For me after missing the 2016 season Monfries almost needs to start from the bottom again, my fingers are crossed that Ken doesn't go along the line of seniority with him at selection early.

Looking at the future and the recent draft I was a big believe that Todd Marshall would end up going in that mix of later first round picks between Brisbane, Port and the Bulldogs. I really hope that the Power give him some time to develop properly in the gym and in the SANFL not throw him in to early like was done with Westhoff in 2007.

Not doubting Todd's class and skill one bit, his skills at ground level for a 6'6 guy are exceptional but needs to fill out in his body. Right now his like Cam McCarthy was when drafted, tall and raw but skinny as a rake.

I've touched on Powell Pepper already, i rate his strengths highly. His weakness is a large part of the reason as to what cost him getting to West Coast earlier in the draft, but he works to his strengths very well. Greater disposal efficiency by foot under the pressure of AFL football will come with more experience, his foot skills in space are much better.

I like the additions of Drew and Atley. Two future midfielders for the team you'd think and both are strong at the contest like SPP. All 3 of those boys know how to accumulate the ball and contested possessions/ clearances in big numbers.

For a team that is shorter on bigger body ruck options Ladhams is a good option to have on the rookie list. Powerful sied body so he has that in his favour but his needs for improvement will get worked on heavily at SANFL level.

Brett Eddy is a good selection for a rookie pick. Cover for an injury to a tall/ KPF player who wouldn't look out of place for a elevation and playing in the senior side.

Lienert I can't give to much on. I'll rely on the knowledge of Port fans who follow the SANFL more closely than me for information there. Irra in the same category as Lienert.

You've got a doggies membership haven't you ? By the way what did you make of Ports 2014 campaign? We beat flying Fremantle in Perth during the finals & a kick away from beating the hawks at the mcg. Kind of similar to the doggies year no ?

Pffftt, foundation member for Portz m8. Like everyone I loved the 2014 season and thought we were on our way to a sustained period at the top. Not sure of your point though as we didn't win the prelim nor the GF. And since then we have delivered 2 years of crap. I don't know how anyone can say we are better than the Bulldogs. It could be argued that our list has the potential to be but potential doesn't win premierships.

Hey guys and girls, sorry to intrude but looking to visit all the club best 22's over the next couple of weeks before Xmas. I'm up to Port Adelaide so here's my crack at your best 22. Appreciate any feedback

Start off in the back pocket with Byrne Jones. Not a highly skilled defender but he has courage beyond his inexperience and has the discipline required to handle a dangerous small forward. Fast at ground level and not one to shirk a contest. Will become a main stay of the Power team for years to come hopefully.

With Jonas in the other back pocket is the experience necessary to assist the other relatively inexperienced last line defenders. Aggressive player who like Byrne Jones doesn't shirk a contest even if it costs him a lengthy suspension... just kidding, i hold no grudge against Jonas. He copped his fair whack at the tribunal and I genuinely hope it doesn't change his game style. Just needs to be more disciplined with it especially as a leader around the club. The role that I have him playing is basically a third tall defender.

Broadbent and Pittard are the main instigators for defensive drive and carry from the back half which is a role I'd love to see Bonner get involved in as well as well as some outside run and class by foot in the midfield, hence why i picked him there.

There's possibly a rotating role for SPP available in the back half as well if you wanted to test his game defensively but that's not where his best use is obviously.

Austin got some good expsoure in 2016 against big name key position forwards which was great for his development no boubt. Clurey will keep him honest at selection but I think if fit selection in Round 1 is a good reward for Austin.

Hombsch has had some big asks as a CHB but hasn't been flustered under the pressure. Big job for him now with no Carlile to fall back on anymore, he is the most experienced key defender in the team but shows great maturity and leadership.

Hartlett (right foot wing) and Polec (left foot wing) rule the first choice wings for me. Both players that can win the ball in space, run with it and kick it long. Those two along with Matt White and other rotating mids balance the bigger bodied inside presence of Wines, Ebert and SPP out well.

An ideal set up for Port in my opinion wouild see to see Pittard and Bonner use there skills as outside midfielders as well however I'm aware that Bonner doesn't need to be pushed to deep to quickly. You want him to be a 10 - 15 year player for the club.

Boak is a top notch midfielder and a great leader for the Power, leads by example week after week and I'm sure would make his team mates walk taller. Wines and Robbie Gray add a contested ball ball and lethally damaging midfielder into the starting midfield 3.

I'm an unashamed fan of Wines, have been so since his draft year and followed his career closely at Port. Beast at the clearances and seems the most likely successor to Boak as captain. Testament to how highly he is regarded is how much Port miss him when unavailable.

Gray reminds me a lot of Ablett Junior the way he gets around. Great story of resillience winning multiple B & F's after a shocking knee injury in 2013. With his ability to sniff out a goal he is arguably the MVP for Port.

I've gone with Trengove in the ruck. Liked his work when thrown there in 2016. His competitiveness around the ground and aggression at the contest, even though undersized make him a very viable ruck option, particularly if the 3rd man up at ruck contests rule stays in 2017. With games under his belt I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Ryder take number one ruck duties again during 2017 however.

The biggest change to the 2016 forward line is the addition of Ryder. It's clear to see that Dixon needs solid help in the KPF posts and as good a role player as Westhoff is he doesn't cut the mustard as a KPP for me. Far better served as a 3rd tall forward drawing the 3rd tall defender from the opposition which having Dixon and Ryder allows that to happen.

Impey has work to do to repay the faith of the club and team mates after his recent off field indiscretion but I'm backing him in. Adaptable enough to play small at either end of the ground but with his opposition pressure he will keep the ball locked inside 50 for the Power forwards. Off the other flank I've got Sam Gray who is capable of going into that second tier midfield group as well. Knows how to find the ball and can hit the scoreboard, he keeps more experienced names like Monfries and Neade in the SANFL but they are able to slot straight in if he slips up.

Dixon if he can get his body right is so dangerous. Not many defenders that can go with him for size I think living away from the shadow of Tom Lynch and the GC lifestyle is good for his footy. Having him alongside Ryder initially in the key posts is a potentially lethal partnership if they can work together well.

Don't need to add much about Wingard. His a jet, everyone knows that, even the neutral supporters like me. One of the most exciting young players to watch in the league, just makes things happen.

SPP I've touched on a couple of times. Got some good exposure in the WAFL seniors in 2016 and likes wines from the 2012 draft is ready made to impact as a midfielder in 2017. Alongside Ebert they form a bigger bodied partnership in the second tier midfield.

I can't knock Ebert to much. Works to his strengths very well but there's areas of his game that are still the same as they were at West Coast. Would I take him back at West Coast if the opportunity arose now, I personally don't think so. Still super fit and an endurance runner but doesn't have genuine speed.

Matt White is the line breaking outside midfielder to compliment Ebert and SPP in the second tier midfield and possibly be a defensive weapon to keep the ball locked inside the forward 50.

Bonner is a kid who like SPP I rate highly and although less experienced than guys like Neade, Monfries and Young I see him as a definite part of the future where as Monfries and to a lesser extent Neade are surplus to small forward needs. Adds some needed extra carry and a good kick from the back half or outside midfield.

For me after missing the 2016 season Monfries almost needs to start from the bottom again, my fingers are crossed that Ken doesn't go along the line of seniority with him at selection early.

Looking at the future and the recent draft I was a big believe that Todd Marshall would end up going in that mix of later first round picks between Brisbane, Port and the Bulldogs. I really hope that the Power give him some time to develop properly in the gym and in the SANFL not throw him in to early like was done with Westhoff in 2007.

Not doubting Todd's class and skill one bit, his skills at ground level for a 6'6 guy are exceptional but needs to fill out in his body. Right now his like Cam McCarthy was when drafted, tall and raw but skinny as a rake.

I've touched on Powell Pepper already, i rate his strengths highly. His weakness is a large part of the reason as to what cost him getting to West Coast earlier in the draft, but he works to his strengths very well. Greater disposal efficiency by foot under the pressure of AFL football will come with more experience, his foot skills in space are much better.

I like the additions of Drew and Atley. Two future midfielders for the team you'd think and both are strong at the contest like SPP. All 3 of those boys know how to accumulate the ball and contested possessions/ clearances in big numbers.

For a team that is shorter on bigger body ruck options Ladhams is a good option to have on the rookie list. Powerful sied body so he has that in his favour but his needs for improvement will get worked on heavily at SANFL level.

Brett Eddy is a good selection for a rookie pick. Cover for an injury to a tall/ KPF player who wouldn't look out of place for a elevation and playing in the senior side.

Lienert I can't give to much on. I'll rely on the knowledge of Port fans who follow the SANFL more closely than me for information there. Irra in the same category as Lienert.

Aaron Young is best 22, kicked 37 goals last year at almost 2 a game for mine he starts forward pocket with Wingard, Impey and him rotating through there and the midfield. if push came to shove i would expect him taking White's or even SGray's spot.

it is a balancing act playing enough midfielders though.

#1 Ryder will certainly start in the ruck and play as our primary Ruckman, with Trengove rotating into the ruck to allow Ryder to rest up forward, i do like how you summarised Jacko in the ruck, so it'll be great to see the competitiveness up forward next year.

#2 Idd take Sam Gray out - Bring in 1 off Monfries/Young/Palmer - after the year he hard Young probably has first grab at the moment. (2 of these guys for round 1 with Impey suspended)

#3 I do like having Krakouer in the side. He brings good versatility and he is an elite kick and with our disposal efficacy being the worst in the comp id be hesitant to drop a guy like this. With Bonner and SPP coming into the side it could make Matt White in danger of coming out….Tough call here so pre-season form to decide.

Im probably gonna get slammed for this but with the emergence of DBJ and Bonner I wouldnt mind seeing Krak push up the ground a bit, maybe onto a wing.

A lot of people dont realise that our humble Krak actually has some blistering accelleration to go with those elite foot skills. Hes got a pretty decent leap too.

Back when he was drafted he set a 20m combine time of 2.83 which would have won several of the draft combines we've had since then, including the last couple.

We just dont get to see a lot of it in the position he currently plays.

Last edited:
Im probably gonna get slammed for this but with the emergence if DBJ and Bonner I wouldnt mind seeing Krak push up the ground a bit, maybe onto a wing.

A lot of people dont realise that our humble Krak actually has some blistering accelleration to go with those elite foot skills. Hes got a pretty decent leap too.

Back when he was drafted he set a 20m combine time of 2.83 which would have won several of the draft combines we've had since then, including the last couple.

We just dont get to see a lot of it in the position he currently plays.
Probably has the fitness to go into the midfielder a bit more now....easily gets picked on the bench has the ability to play in a foward or back pocket and rotate through the middle - where ever we need him

Last edited:
B: Darcy Byrne-Jones, Jack Hombsch , Jasper Pittard
HB: Hamish Hartlett, Jackson Trengove , Matthew Broadbent
C: Brad Ebert, Ollie Wines, Jared Polec
HF: , Justin Westhoff, Patrick Ryder , Jarman Impey
F: Aaron Young, Charlie Dixon, Chad Wingard
Foll: Matthew Lobbe , Travis Boak, Robbie Gray
I/C: Tom Jonas, Nathan Krakouer, Sam Powell-Pepper, Matthew White

Comments-

Trengrove goes back to CHB a position he made his own before being required to ruck, sitting him a forward pocket seems a waste. I think Hombsh is better suited to full back also.

Wingard goes to a forward pocket but can roam further if he likes. Impey on a flank to take the attacking half back flankers with Young close to goal.

The one move some Port fans here wont like is bringing in Lobbe as first ruck , hoping he will bring his A game (also hoping slow switches of play is removed from our game so he doesn’t get flogged out running back and forth across the ground trying to be the down the line option!) and Ryder to CHF…..IMO we are better with Ryder forward…IMO a balanced side consists of 3 talls forward with one a mobile type (Hoff). So if for whatever reasons this particular move is failing then Eddy or another tall is brought in......and Lobbe is dismissed

Jonas goes to bench as tall cover in case of need and 3 runners

Looking forward to fighting it out with 13 other teams for the bottom 4 spots in the 8!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back