Mega Thread The Father-Son Mega thread - 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft and TAC scouts have mentioned that Finn is versatile and has really made the move to the inside midfield role this year. He can apparently play both outside and inside.
I don't doubt his long term versatility but people should probably lower the expectation that this kid is automatically ready to play in our senior footy day 1. The only first year players we tend to play early (since 2008) have played on hff or hbf. Burton, Anderson, Worpel. ITs not that they don't ever get a go in the centre but they just typically can't run out full games in there. If we are trying to play finals we won't take many/any players who can't run out full games (80-90% game time) in their primary position. And if we do end up recruiting a player like Greenwood the chances of many senior games are slim unless he really explodes in an AFL environment. Let's just exercise patience around a kid who we haven't even drafted yet :)

17. FINN MAGINNESS

Clubs: Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro

Position: Midfielder

Size: 187cm, 80kg

Bio: The Hawthorn father-son prospect - his dad being dual premiership Hawk Scott - has pushed into first round contention after a superb finish to 2019. Maginness had a number of standout matches following the Under 18 Championships where he averaged 18.3 disposals and 7.5 tackles, including a big 26 disposal performance against Geelong being one of the highlights. As the Dragons went deeper into September, Maginness showed his class and strong ball winning capabilities. His draft range appears to be 15 to 25 at the moment, with bids often coming behind where players are ranked by many.

Our other F/S prospect kicked 3 goals for the winning team! I notice that Tom has played a lot of games in the NAB Cup this year (as an over-age player) so interested in opinions as to whether his game has developed much, given he started from a long way back?

17. FINN MAGINNESS

Clubs: Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro

Position: Midfielder

Size: 187cm, 80kg

Bio: The Hawthorn father-son prospect - his dad being dual premiership Hawk Scott - has pushed into first round contention after a superb finish to 2019. Maginness had a number of standout matches following the Under 18 Championships where he averaged 18.3 disposals and 7.5 tackles, including a big 26 disposal performance against Geelong being one of the highlights. As the Dragons went deeper into September, Maginness showed his class and strong ball winning capabilities. His draft range appears to be 15 to 25 at the moment, with bids often coming behind where players are ranked by many.
I think 15 to 25 sounds right on IMO

Our other F/S prospect kicked 3 goals for the winning team! I notice that Tom has played a lot of games in the NAB Cup this year (as an over-age player) so interested in opinions as to whether his game has developed much, given he started from a long way back?
Pretty sure he kicked all 3 in the first half too

#4 Finn Maginness

It was an uncharacteristically quiet game from the Hawthorn father-son prospect, who struggled to get involved when Oakleigh was on top. When he did win the ball, he was able to get clear from the stoppage and get the ball long inside 50 on occasions. There were times when he lacked options though, which lead to him being chased down in the corridor during the third term. He would only finish the game with 13 disposals, but he has shown more than enough throughout the year for the Hawks to know they have a good one on their hands.

Everyone: Hawks are about to land some good F/S nd Academy prospects

AFL: We'll have to do something about that.

I don't understand why the discount for both are tied together. Father Son picks are a fantastic romantic element of our sport, and they should be facilitated to get to their club of choice more not less.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn't come in until 2021 (sorry to the conspiracy theorists)
That's if they actually do change it.

There is certainly something to be said for encouraging clubs to invest in the NGA. However, clubs are already in it up to the necks so it wouldn't surprise if Gil changes it up.

He really does come across as if he has sh!t for brains. I could be wrong now. But I don't think so.

Everyone: Hawks are about to land some good F/S nd Academy prospects

AFL: We'll have to do something about that.

Don’t think anyone should be worried.
Doesn’t affect us this year or next.
But what it could do is force the Northern Academies to pay more for their priority access to highly rated kids that seem to keep coming.

I bet Sydney in particular are against this move. Let that be a indicator of what it all means

It has to change with the Academies. GWS and Sydney in particular have a pipeline of top 10 draftees coming in, GWS this year again, Sydney again next year.

But I don't think anyone would like the AFL making F/S more difficult. F/S is romantic and just good luck and i hate seeing any club miss out on a F/S.

It has to change with the Academies. GWS and Sydney in particular have a pipeline of top 10 draftees coming in, GWS this year again, Sydney again next year.

But I don't think anyone would like the AFL making F/S more difficult. F/S is romantic and just good luck and i hate seeing any club miss out on a F/S.

They should make it 50 games

Agree - but its patently unfair to make a change during the season, probably for 2021 to avoid issues with future pick trading.
They should make it 50 games

No wait, its AFL, they should make this change right now.

Yeah I thought he showed something (apart from awful set shot technique). Pretty agile for a big bloke. Heavier frame than his old man. Reminded me a bit of a young Nathan Thompson.
Louis Thompson invited to be part of the Bendigo Pioneers U18 squad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back