Review The good, the bad, the shat - vs Fremantle R3 2024

How many games will we win from our first 10?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

He kicked 76 goals and was AA, did you expect him to retire? Cmon
Have to agree - he was one who deserved another year

The challenge NOW is how we adapt to the changing fortunes

Do we keep playing him hoping he finds his feet once more - while using his ''leadership'' in the forward area

Or do we bite the bullet and start developing someone - which unfortunately was Thilthorpe - so I guess we have to suck it up for 6 months

Nicks in his press conference immediately blamed the players form, skill, execution, confidence and decision making. Nothing on his game plan

Thought we were in the game to 3 quarter time

Absolutely clueless
We screamed at the tv to kick a goal in that last minute - and we headed to our goals but turned it over

That killed us - just like Fog last week

We get close and then sook it up when it doesnt happen

Cornes was genuinely making me feel ill after the call, partly because I was nursing a raging hangover this morning as well...

Basically scoffed at anyone who suggested Nicks needed to go as if they were someone that was dragged from an insane asylum. Secondly his comments about 'other teams just having more talnet' was literally the biggest ******* copout ever. Because, it's either true and if it is, the entire recruitment staff need to be sacked now as well because we;ve been in the ******* bottom 8 since 2018 for christs sake or it's not true and Nicks still needs to be sacked.
Did he fall back on his '' those who have played at the highest level'' bullshit

Cornes was genuinely making me feel ill after the call, partly because I was nursing a raging hangover this morning as well...

Basically scoffed at anyone who suggested Nicks needed to go as if they were someone that was dragged from an insane asylum. Secondly his comments about 'other teams just having more talnet' was literally the biggest ******* copout ever. Because, it's either true and if it is, the entire recruitment staff need to be sacked now as well because we;ve been in the ******* bottom 8 since 2018 for christs sake or it's not true and Nicks still needs to be sacked.
Cornes is not far off the nursing home. People like him are the reason why we are a laughing stock of the comp. Pathetic from him.

I don't buy Nicks excuse that we have a ton of players out of form

Maybe if there were 3 or 4 guys, sure. We have 20 players supposedly out of form

The real reason IMO is our trash game plan that our players are so confused about they aren't able to execute
If he knows they are out of form then why is he still selecting them

Do we keep playing him hoping he finds his feet once more - while using his ''leadership'' in the forward area

Or do we bite the bullet and start developing someone - which unfortunately was Thilthorpe - so I guess we have to suck it up for 6 months
I think Tex is playing injured and shouldn't be. Don't believe he could fall off the cliff to this extent.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app

For the past few years i have watch us and despite the losses there was a glimmer of hope because we were slowly improving. Last night clearly showed we have gone backwards. I dont like caning individuals but senior players have stepped backwards (another year older), our mid range of players havent developed and our newest recruits are all sitting in the 2's with no one demanding a place in the 1's. I look at recruits for the past 2 years at other clubs and some of them are already playing like elite players. None of our have but we keep on saying they have potential. The few players we have drafted/traded that have contributed are Dawson, Keays, Michalanny Hinge and Rankine on some occasions. Not looking good for the club.

Having a hard time keep my son interested in the crows.
He legit fell alseep on the couch for the first time ever in his 9 years, even as a baby he did not.
All he’s ever known is the crows letting him down.
He'll get his flag after 40

I think Tex is playing injured and shouldn't be. Don't believe he could fall off the cliff to this extent.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Tex is injured or if he isn't he has no pace whatsoever when the ball hits the ground. Surely the end cant have come so quickly but they signalled it when they said he was going to be rested regularly. Time to get Petty and Welsh in.

Pre season he said it was about quality not quantity. It didn’t take long to throw that out. And we know that when under pressure, nicks will select even the most injured and out of form experienced players. Tex should admit he isn’t right, get right and return fit and firing. But he won’t, he’s atypical senior player.

Pre season he said it was about quality not quantity. It didn’t take long to throw that out. And we know that when under pressure, nicks will select even the most injured and out of form experienced players. Tex should admit he isn’t right, get right and return fit and firing. But he won’t, he’s atypical senior player.
It was embarrassing watching tex trailing 5 metres behind players. If he keeps playing he will be retired by mid season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For the past few years i have watch us and despite the losses there was a glimmer of hope because we were slowly improving. Last night clearly showed we have gone backwards. I dont like caning individuals but senior players have stepped backwards (another year older), our mid range of players havent developed and our newest recruits are all sitting in the 2's with no one demanding a place in the 1's. I look at recruits for the past 2 years at other clubs and some of them are already playing like elite players. None of our have but we keep on saying they have potential. The few players we have drafted/traded that have contributed are Dawson, Keays, Michalanny Hinge and Rankine on some occasions. Not looking good for the club.

You know what, the ‘improving’ is a mirage. Remove Nicks’ first year where he drove us to a spoon and how fo we track? It’s only courtesy of low expectations that we seemed to have been improving.

You know what, the ‘improving’ is a mirage. Remove Nicks’ first year where he drove us to a spoon and how fo we track? It’s only courtesy of low expectations that we seemed to have been improving.

Our best wins under Nicks were in 2021 knocking off Melbourne and Geelong.

Our 'achievement' last year was losing to top four teams, but only by a bit, and choking away two 'win and you're in' games at home in the last month and a half.

OK ....here's my feelings

Despite those who find a negative in anything and everything .....I have thoroughly enjoyed the rebuild .....by-n-large, the Club has done a great job

But as I've said, all PS .....the expectations in year 5 were of a completed rebuild, challenging ......not this s**t !

Two weeks in a row now, I have switched off & watched a movie at half time .....I never do that, but the ineptness was truly clear to see B4 the half time break .....and my predictions came to fruition

The Coach have right royally stuffed up ! .....and it's more than simply team selection ....it's mindset, gameplan, and meek acceptance by Nicks

The first Qtr, clearly showed the gameplan intent, Dawson supreme, and all going well .....then we introduced the stats gathering machine, and from that point the wheels fell off !
Our midfield structure has been destroyed, simply because we want to fit X,Y,Z players in .....rather than structure determining which players are selected

Problem #1
3 x weeks in a row now, the statline for Gold Coast, Geelong, and Fremantle, have been extraordinary ......whilst we've accumulated low hurt disposals .....the opposition have feasted on our sorry carcasses

The statline is the same in all 3 matches ...

1711765355463.png

Problem #2
Our backline of Hinge, Smith, and Milera, has been horrid .....and that's being polite

Hinge, has made poor decision after poor decision .....and then backed it up with just woeful disposal
But this is not new .....no, this was evidenced in the PS games as well

Smith allowed a 33 YO fringe player now, in Walters ....a bit player, to have 21 disposals ....and kick 2 goals 4

And what happened to getting the ball into the hands of our best distributor off HB, Milera .....we never looked for him at all
Every other Club, is getting the ball into the hands of MWM, Clarke, Houston, Whitfield ect

Problem #3
God help our FWD line, when Dawson is running at 58% DE ......and 9 turnovers in a match, and Crouch is dinking the ball all over the place

Player comments
Borlase
....simply has no engine to stay with repeat lead forwards ....he's had enough PS campaigns to fix

Pedlar .....what you sow, you reap ....send him to the SANFL, obviously lacked the commitment over the PS

Rachele ....I'll say it again, I just don't see the X-Factor ! ......He'll be a good player, but any comparison to Greene is frankly laughable
3rd season now, some of these match winning traits should be on full show now .....nope
He's still getting caught with a lack of awareness of who's around him .....and definitely not the player people have bought into and raved about

Despite those who find a negative in anything and everything .....I have thoroughly enjoyed the rebuild .....by-n-large, the Club has done a great job

I'm glad you chose not to describe this as thoughts.

When players continually miss uncontested 15 metre kicks and 5 metre handballs what are the chances of them executing the coaches game plan. It’s like he’s coaching the 2020 team again
How do the players lose their skill after a preseason?

This is not a one-off as the skills have been awful in all 3 games.

I recall reading preseason that we got the footballs out earlier this year... but you wouldn't have thought so.

Only Rankine, Soligo, Crouch, Max, Worrell & Keane have been decent ball users.

The likes of Hinge, Smith, Dawson, Pedlar & Milera have terrible.

But as I've said, all PS .....the expectations in year 5 were of a completed rebuild, challenging ......not this s**t !

Two weeks in a row now, I have switched off & watched a movie at half time .....I never do that, but the ineptness was truly clear to see B4 the half time break .....and my predictions came to fruition

The Coach have right royally stuffed up ! .....and it's more than simply team selection ....it's mindset, gameplan, and meek acceptance by Nicks

The first Qtr, clearly showed the gameplan intent, Dawson supreme, and all going well .....then we introduced the stats gathering machine, and from that point the wheels fell off !
Our midfield structure has been destroyed, simply because we want to fit X,Y,Z players in .....rather than structure determining which players are selected

Problem #1
3 x weeks in a row now, the statline for Gold Coast, Geelong, and Fremantle, have been extraordinary ......whilst we've accumulated low hurt disposals .....the opposition have feasted on our sorry carcasses

The statline is the same in all 3 matches ...

View attachment 1944036

Problem #2
Our backline of Hinge, Smith, and Milera, has been horrid .....and that's being polite

Hinge, has made poor decision after poor decision .....and then backed it up with just woeful disposal
But this is not new .....no, this was evidenced in the PS games as well

Smith allowed a 33 YO fringe player now, in Walters ....a bit player, to have 21 disposals ....and kick 2 goals 4

And what happened to getting the ball into the hands of our best distributor off HB, Milera .....we never looked for him at all
Every other Club, is getting the ball into the hands of MWM, Clarke, Houston, Whitfield ect

Problem #3
God help our FWD line, when Dawson is running at 58% DE ......and 9 turnovers in a match, and Crouch is dinking the ball all over the place

Player comments
Borlase
....simply has no engine to stay with repeat lead forwards ....he's had enough PS campaigns to fix

Pedlar .....what you sow, you reap ....send him to the SANFL, obviously lacked the commitment over the PS

Rachele ....I'll say it again, I just don't see the X-Factor ! ......He'll be a good player, but any comparison to Greene is frankly laughable
3rd season now, some of these match winning traits should be on full show now .....nope
He's still getting caught with a lack of awareness of who's around him .....and definitely not the player people have bought into and raved about

Yeh, we’ve done a “great job”. Just admit that you’ve been wrong the entire time you were spruiking the genius of it all.

How do the players lose their skill after a preseason?

This is not a one-off as the skills have been awful in all 3 games.

I recall reading preseason that we got the footballs out earlier this year... but you wouldn't have thought so.

Only Rankine, Soligo, Crouch, Max, Worrell & Keane have been decent ball users.

The likes of Hinge, Smith, Dawson, Pedlar & Milera have terrible.
It's some achievement getting worse over a preseason. What a s**t coach.

Haven't visited or logged in since August last year but had to come in and have a read after the season's start.

- There was massive bathwater drinking and back slapping over the offseason. The Keays goal/behind allowed the club to pretend the rebuild was over - "we should've made finals" - Olsen went full PR politician, came out all tough, everyone felt sorry for us, whilst avoiding what would've been a ten goal Elim smashing against Carlton at the G. They got the credit of making the finals without making the finals.

- Nicks has made everyone feel nice about themselves. He's not a finals coach's ars*hole. His re-signing was as laughable as his 8-man leadership group. He is now blaming players for the results - good luck putting that genie back in the bottle.

- We lost 6 games by less than a goal last year. Rather than keeping with the attack and trying to kick one more goal a game, or focus on two minute drills, we completely overhauled it and went defensive, too quickly. Players have no confidence. That is 100% on the coaches.

- The actual club itself is dysfunctional in a high performance sense. Said it for 20 years. It's summed up by the baffling decisions the administrators make over a long period. For example, John Reid engineered the Kurt Tippett saga that decimated our draft capital and credibility with trading, so we appointed his son as list manager two years later and despite only 3 finals appearances in 12 years, is still the list manager.

That is the Adelaide Football Club. It's a side hobby and wine-and-dine experience for the Board when they're not spending money building pubs, buying MPs or starting law firms.

Anyway, my two cents, I will jog on and maybe check in by August. Cheers.

Logged in for the first time in a long time just to reply your post. You hit it on the head.

This is just a business for the people who run the Adelaide Football Club, make no mistake about it. Ricciuto's appointment was heralded on here as the great broom that would improve the AFC once and for all, but the club's Trump-esque tendency for nepotism ensured that would never happen. As Football Director he is the first one that needs to go.

Unfortunately, the status quo will stick around as long as the masses lap up the s**t the club posts on social media each week for the feel good vibes. These types of "supporters" never question why we haven't really contended for 26 years or why we seem to be allergic to drafting elite mids. Though it seems (anecdotally) that the penny is now starting to drop with some people.

No doubt Nicks got the job because of the camp and whatever else came before it. But with the passage of time it's clear the club has overcompensated. A great relationship builder (perhaps less so now), but a horrible coach. Would be better suited to a culture role (for another team of course).

I used to hang s**t on Port's 3 premierships in 5 years plan, but at least that club talks about premierships. They're execution is a little off sometimes, but at least the intention is there.

When was the last time you heard anyone associated with the AFC mention premierships and winning? The fact that the club started drinking its own bath water after just missing the 8 last year shows you their benchmark for success.

Successful clubs are never satisfied until they're lifting the cup. We're not even mediocre now.

Yeh, we’ve done a “great job”. Just admit that you’ve been wrong the entire time you were spruiking the genius of it all.
Rebuild look great last year especially when Rachele and Soligo transitioned into the midfield and Rankine and Dawson development into A graders and potential elite.

Back