Review The Grand Final Disaster of 2017.

Remove this Banner Ad

It sucked :(
I was at the crows previous 2 GFs. This one did not compare. It was an AFL Richmondfest from start to finish. It was an AFL endorsed, aided and abetted Richmond home game. Maybe it was compensation for Richmond having to wear the away jumper. Whatever it was, it was nauseatingly ‘the Richmond show’ before, during, and as would be expected, after the game. It’s just another hurdle for non-Vic, non-cola, non-expansion, non-money assisted, teams.

Was that before or after Jacobs was pinned for deliberate as the Richmond player waved the ball over the line?
You're avoiding the topic,have a look at Sauce yell at him! Sloane or Jacobs should be captain, that 8 second GF speech was pretty pathetic.

I was at the crows previous 2 GFs. This one did not compare. It was an AFL Richmondfest from start to finish. It was an AFL endorsed, aided and abetted Richmond home game. Maybe it was compensation for Richmond having to wear the away jumper. Whatever it was, it was nauseatingly ‘the Richmond show’ before, during, and as would be expected, after the game. It’s just another hurdle for non-Vic, non-cola, non-expansion, non-money assisted, teams.
I was in a standing bay in the AFL members. Directly in front of me were two people in full Collingwood 2017 members gear singing along with the Tigers song, along with 90% of the AFL reserve.

Definitely felt like an away game, that's the advantage of it being in Melbourne (especially for big Melbourne clubs). And it's not ground-related, even it wasn't Richmond's home ground it would be the same. But it doesn't excuse our piss-poor performance.

As a Richmond supporter I've watched the Tigers get demolished, look silly and do very odd things many, many times for over 30 years at the MCG. The ground, the venue itself, the turf they play on has had absolutely zero mystical, magical power to help teams that are either just no good or don't perform on the day. No matter where you play you have to be good on the day to have a shot at winning a football match. The ground doesn't magically envelope one team and play favorites. This year Richmond were in incredible form at the right time and that is why they were able to take down an outstanding opponent that just didn't find their game on the day.

Furthermore, can you imagine the lashings, barb's and taunts had Adelaide have won the GF? It would have been littered with comments like "there was no way you were ever going to lose this GF because after all you were playing Richmond. Richmond!! Hahahaha"

Or

"Easily the most lopsided GF before the first bounce."

And especially

"We could have played Richmond on the moon or under the sea for all it matters and the result would have been the same. Anytime, anywhere. We didn't need the AO and I'm glad the GF was at the G just so there would be no crying from all the Vic Tugger flogs over the border."

As a Richmond supporter I've watched the Tigers get demolished, look silly and do very odd things many, many times for over 30 years at the MCG. The ground, the venue itself, the turf they play on has had absolutely zero mystical, magical power to help teams that are either just no good or don't perform on the day. No matter where you play you have to be good on the day to have a shot at winning a football match. The ground doesn't magically envelope one team and play favorites. This year Richmond were in incredible form at the right time and that is why they were able to take down an outstanding opponent that just didn't find their game on the day.

Furthermore, can you imagine the lashings, barb's and taunts had Adelaide have won the GF? It would have been littered with comments like "there was no way you were ever going to lose this GF because after all you were playing Richmond. Richmond!! Hahahaha"

Or

"Easily the most lopsided GF before the first bounce."

And especially

"We could have played Richmond on the moon or under the sea for all it matters and the result would have been the same. Anytime, anywhere. We didn't need the AO and I'm glad the GF was at the G just so there would be no crying from all the Vic Tugger flogs over the border."
Fair comment

Everyones known for a 100 years we play the GF at the MCG.Its a piss poor excuse for losing .You lost the game when Tex tried to kick a banana from 50 under pressure.Jacobs then has a go at him, and its game over.No one in Richmond's team would think of doing that .If it was played in Adelaide you'd probably lose by 28 points instead of 48 ,or does it have a 9 goal advantage?
What utter rubbish.
We lost the game for many reasons, this was not one of them. Reasons include:
- Poor selection (went in too tall) meaning we didn't match up well
- Lack of intensity at the contest
- Unfamiliarity with the MCG
- Poor umpiring changing momentum of the game
- Richmond pressure (impacted our F50 entries a lot, and our D50 rebound)
Tex having a flying shot from the boundary, whilst not ideal, had zero to do with us losing.
We won vs Richmond at Adelaide Oval by 13 goals, so clearly there is some advantage (but not 21 goals)

If you don’t want to read this thread, you can choose to skip past this thread.

Nobody is forcing you to be here!
I wasn't saying I don't like this thread. I'm just saying I'm starting to see a pattern of recycled dialogues.

Next time when you see someone crap on a thread I make (eg. elite crow, yourself), make sure to comment the same thing ok?

What utter rubbish.
We lost the game for many reasons, this was not one of them. Reasons include:
- Poor selection (went in too tall) meaning we didn't match up well
- Lack of intensity at the contest
- Unfamiliarity with the MCG
- Poor umpiring changing momentum of the game
- Richmond pressure (impacted our F50 entries a lot, and our D50 rebound)
Tex having a flying shot from the boundary, whilst not ideal, had zero to do with us losing.
We won vs Richmond at Adelaide Oval by 13 goals, so clearly there is some advantage (but not 21 goals)
Most of your players have played at the Mcg at least 5 times.

Man, you guys just love hitting home runs don’t you?

You beat every team you lost to second time around, guess where those games were played except for a basket case Freo? The MCG, your home ground, fancy that, a home ground advantage!

You seem not to be able to grasp more than one concept at a time, I have said we didn’t play well. Against the Saints and North we did, we were able to overcome playing interstate. Curious though, perhaps you can help, was the G the Saints and Norths home ground in 97 & 98 and for how many years was it their home ground?

Geelong beat you 2 weeks earlier without Selwood, you haven’t won there in over a decade and Geelong wins at Skilled 85% of the time. So yeah, it’s more than just me, it’s history and recent history, like 2 weeks earlier.

As for us, we win 75% of the time, smashed you this year at AO and the only final you played at AO you were humiliated.

So you don’t think we would have beaten Geelong at the G? That’s odd, we just smashed them in a prelim only a week earlier. I wonder what’s different? Oh yeah, not playing at your home ground.

But guess what, we finished higher than Geelong and that final should have been played at AO and if it wasn’t it’s a dodgy comp.

And go back to my original post yesterday, I gave a number of reasons why we lost, including we didn’t play well and we couldn’t the pressure. But you and your mates refuse to concede you were given a massive advantage by playing at your home ground twice when you didn’t deserve it, when history proves you were. There is no denying it, you were the lower ranked team playing home finals against the higher ranked team.

So perhaps until you can at least admit that, go back to your board and pat each other on the back and ignore this fact, just don’t come here and try to deny it.

We beat port at AO this year. Was it the ground?

Most of your players have played at the Mcg at least 5 times.
Someone posted on a thread somewhere a brief but interesting comparison between the careers of Martin and Sloane. I cannot remember where. From memory it was total games each had played as a comparison of to how many at the MCG:
  • Martin - played 178 total, and of that 119 at the MCG
  • Sloane - played 165 total, and of that 21 at the MCG
Interesting looking at the comparison from that perspective. In careers spanning a similar time frame, Martin has essentially played 6x more games than Sloane at the MCG.

Or looking at it as a percentage Martin has played 66.9% of his games at the MCG as opposed to Sloane's 12.7%.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Someone posted on a thread somewhere a brief but interesting comparison between the careers of Martin and Sloane. I cannot remember where. From memory it was total games each had played as a comparison of to how many at the MCG:
  • Martin - played 178 total, and of that 119 at the MCG
  • Sloane - played 165 total, and of that 21 at the MCG
Interesting looking at the comparison from that perspective. In careers spanning a similar time frame, Martin has essentially played 6x more games than Sloane at the MCG.

Or looking at it as a percentage Martin has played 66.9% of his games at the MCG as opposed to Sloane's 12.7%.
Well if I'd played somewhere 21 times, I reckon I would know the ground. In the end, our game style was a bit better than the Crows.You were too top heavy and didnt have enough zippy tackle machines

Well if I'd played somewhere 21 times, I reckon I would know the ground. In the end, our game style was a bit better than the Crows.You were too top heavy and didnt have enough zippy tackle machines
Please read carefully.

I didn't offer an opinion. I presented some facts. How you choose to interpret those is entirely up to you.

Adjectives like "zippy", "tackle machines" are purely media hype. I'd be interested to know how you quantify these. Because really, you cannot. You are just talking subjective BS.

Richmond won the GF, congratulations. Personally for you to continue to come and read and post on our board 6 weeks after the fact, considering you overall posting history indicates that in your mind you somehow need to justify Richmond's win.

Someone who wasn't secure in the team and their victory wouldn't be spending their spare time on the oppositions board making a case to justify everything they read. Nor debate why they think they are deserved winners. They would be out celebrating.

Probably time for you leave.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back