The Ladder of the Last 5 Years

Remove this Banner Ad

Same. Staggered how high we are. I’d have had us as a lock bottom 4, particularly with 2016 in the mix.

Otherwise, main observations are hugely underachieving Sydney, and overachieving Bulldogs.
Under-achieving Swans is a huge outtake from it.

If one was a top marque player who chose the Swans as the tram for success you’d be pulling the cord to get off

five years is a fair timeline as windows last about that long. it does show richmond have been more competitive than last years showing suggests, and that the dogs stole a flag - everything literally fell into place at the right time - players belief, players form, umpire belief and support, other teams form fell off, important opposition players injured by fouls ignored by the umps in both the prelim and the gf. kissed on the proverbial. good luck to them - obviously never had an aboriginal curse laid upon them.

five years is a fair timeline as windows last about that long. it does show richmond have been more competitive than last years showing suggests, and that the dogs stole a flag - everything literally fell into place at the right time - players belief, players form, umpire belief and support, other teams form fell off, important opposition players injured by fouls ignored by the umps in both the prelim and the gf. kissed on the proverbial. good luck to them - obviously never had an aboriginal curse laid upon them.
Doggies capitalised on their opportunity well.

But you DID recieve help. You got a Grand Final at home against a higher placed interstate team. Just saying that it is not an advantage doesn't make it so.

Why do you feel that one act (Dogs winning interstate) proves an entire argument? Does the fact that every Victorian club CAN win a flag without ever winning interstate, and no non-Victorian club can ever do so, mean anything to you?

And this has nothing to do with my following Port Adelaide at all, and nothing specifically to do with Richmond.

And as for COLA, that simply wasnt on the radar in Adelaide, the complaints were all from over the border with McGuire and Gordon the most vocal. Here is your very own Jon Ralph on the issue. NB. note the word "Melbourne".

"The Swans’ “Bondi Billionaires” demolished Geelong on Thursday night, with Gordon one of a number of Melbourne club officials believing Sydney has an unfair advantage this year."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...e/news-story/fa62aaeec0516a9e5b3db75967622b88
I'm interested in hearing when the last time a GF was played anywhere other then the MCG, actually, I'm interested in hearing the last time a GF was played interstate. I'll wait.

Sport is a matter of taking your chances when the opportunity presents. Whether you are kissed on the proverbial or not, you still have to be good enough to put yourself in the position to achieve the ultimate success. Hopefully St.Kilda are good enough one day.

I'm interested in hearing when the last time a GF was played anywhere other then the MCG, actually, I'm interested in hearing the last time a GF was played interstate. I'll wait.
Ummm.... that's the point.

But you DID recieve help. You got a Grand Final at home against a higher placed interstate team. Just saying that it is not an advantage doesn't make it so.

Why do you feel that one act (Dogs winning interstate) proves an entire argument? Does the fact that every Victorian club CAN win a flag without ever winning interstate, and no non-Victorian club can ever do so, mean anything to you?

And this has nothing to do with my following Port Adelaide at all, and nothing specifically to do with Richmond.

And as for COLA, that simply wasnt on the radar in Adelaide, the complaints were all from over the border with McGuire and Gordon the most vocal. Here is your very own Jon Ralph on the issue. NB. note the word "Melbourne".

"The Swans’ “Bondi Billionaires” demolished Geelong on Thursday night, with Gordon one of a number of Melbourne club officials believing Sydney has an unfair advantage this year."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...e/news-story/fa62aaeec0516a9e5b3db75967622b88

Read on.

"ADELAIDE wants a total review of all salary cap allowances - and is prepared to argue for every AFL club to work to the same wage bill regardless of varying cost-of-living rates across the national league.
Port Adelaide president David Koch is already on public record calling for the extra $900,000 - as a cost-of-living allowance - in each of the Sydney-based Swans and Giants salary caps to be scrapped."
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...s/news-story/944471acab7f5e0ab701bfd080176142

Boom. There it is. Mate, you're not even breaking even in this debate.
The grand final will always be played at the MCG. Funny how it was never an issue when Port or the Crows won their flags.
Victorian teams have always had to travel and play finals interstate and vice versa. It's a national comp. you can't pick and choose when it suits you. It is was it is. It always has been. It always will be. You just have sour grapes mate. History supports my argument, not yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Righteous Man Power.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ummm.... that's the point.

As an interesting point on the topic of “Richmond had an advantage”:

Richmond’s 2017 premiership was the 1st time in AFL history where an AFL team win a flag while they were playing minus a first round draft pick.

By that, I mean they’d traded away Deledio in return for a 1st round draft pick - which they wouldn’t receive until the end of 2017.

Therefore, Richmond won the flag with a 1st round pick worth of currency frozen in the bank.

Nobody has ever done that.

You need all the help you can get to win a flag... usually you’ll see teams paying on credit (giving away future first rounders) to help them win a flag.

It’ll be quite rare to win flags when you play a season below your deserved talent currency.

Boom. There it is. Mate, you're not even breaking even in this debate.
The grand final will always be played at the MCG. Funny how it was never an issue when Port or the Crows won their flags.
Victorian teams have always had to travel and play finals interstate and vice versa. It's a national comp. you can't pick and choose when it suits you. It is was it is. It always has been. It always will be. You just have sour grapes mate. History supports my argument, not yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Righteous Man Power.
Again, just because you say it is so, doesn't mean it isn't.
"Victorian teams have always had to travel and play finals interstate and vice versa" - yeah, except for ONE pretty important final. I could just imagine the flood of Victorian tears if one day they decided to hold the GF in Sydney's 100K seat stadium and a Melbourne team had to travel for the GF. "Imagine" is the right word because I know that it will never happen as long as the AFL is an extension of the Victorian clubs agenda.
"It's a national comp. you can't pick and choose when it suits you" - don't want to pick and choose - a simple rule that has nothing to do with which part of Australia you are from would be good. It is you who is arguing that a special rule for the Grand Final that benefits Victorian clubs is a good rule and should be kept.
"It is was it is. It always has been. It always will be." - Will it change? No, I agree with you on that point, the AFL will already be looking to extend the contract soon to ensure that happens.
"Funny how it was never an issue when Port or the Crows won their flags." - Grand Finals at the MCG have been an issue for a long time. Richmond fans haven't been in the conversation because the previous time you were in a Grand Final, there were ZERO non-Victorian teams. Now that you are the premiers, doesn't change the argument.
"You just have sour grapes mate" - And you are just pissed off that some aren't giving you the credit you deserve because of a rule that benefited your team ahead of your opposition.
"History supports my argument, not yours." - No, history supports your viewpoint, not your argument. If you think that if the AFL sets a rule it is automatically fair, then you are seriously deluded.

As an interesting point on the topic of “Richmond had an advantage”:

Richmond’s 2017 premiership was the 1st time in AFL history where an AFL team win a flag while they were playing minus a first round draft pick.

By that, I mean they’d traded away Deledio in return for a 1st round draft pick - which they wouldn’t receive until the end of 2017.

Therefore, Richmond won the flag with a 1st round pick worth of currency frozen in the bank.

Nobody has ever done that.

You need all the help you can get to win a flag... usually you’ll see teams paying on credit (giving away future first rounders) to help them win a flag.

It’ll be quite rare to win flags when you play a season below your deserved talent currency.
I guess that was a choice that Richmond made. Not one that the AFL said you had to cope with.

we deserve a flag. finished 2nd in 2012 as well. up the top in 05/06. finals in 07,08,09. even in years we didnt make finals, we were really competitive.

‘Deserve’ being consistently good in the regular season and crumbling in finals doesn’t mean you are owed anything. Have to make your own luck and take one when you get the chance or the next 20 years will be ‘should’ve, could’ve, would’ve’ type excuses about deserving one in this period. No one deserves it until they’ve earnt it.

I’ll dumb it down to around your level of intelligence (sorry if you still have to reach).

There is not much evidence to support five year rebuilds leading to premierships.

I would have thought the OP was more pointing that contending over time was linked to premierships - except for 2 of the top 3:drunk:

Teams that are making finals most years aren't rebuilding. unless you look at how Sydney constantly rebuilds from within - it never drops off, but always has kids coming through.

Having said that, I reckon as you said there is very little evidence supporting a 5 year rebuild = premiership. More a 5 year focus building an established quality squad leading to a differentiated team that wins a premiership (Hawks, Dogs, Tigers all did this to some extent).

So this sort of analysis to me says that teams like Carlton, Saints, Melbourne will become contenders after they build a decent quality team. Start making finals and build that differentiation that wins titles. If you don't have that base to start with it's pretty close to impossible to win one just off the bat, after rebuilding from scratch.

WTF are people arguing about interstate vs Victorian??

1) It's the GF and the crowd is usually fairly even - unless neutral supports pick one side.
2) You know it'll be at the G, so you train for that if you are serious.
3) The AFL should play to top prospects more at the G. If they don't it's because the AFL suck, more than they are corrupt.
4) During the H&A season the advantage of home ground varies hugely, depending on how good your team is. In general, non-Vic teams + Geelong have a larger home ground advantage baked in = more wins. This can also be a disadvantage if the team constantly gets a worse draft hand due to home ground advantage and the increased possibility of 'home sick' players. Although why Port attracts players and the Crows lose them gets me.
5) Usually the best team wins. Occasionally it happens that a team like Geelong kicks themselves out of the GF (against Hawks). But usually the winner is the best team on the day.
6) This thread is about 5 year finals performance. i.e. teams that are there or thereabouts. By that measure you can see that the Swans and Geelong have underperformed. Geelong hasn't been a favorite, but usually just good. Swans have been favorites and not turned up. The state of the team is obviously not closely related to whether they are good over time, by the OP. It's a different issue come finals.

It
god forbid a tigers supporter makes a thread

the mb has turned to trash

salt is real
Some Dogs supporters sounded like Hawks supporters following that premiership. Now they sound, like, well, Dogs Supporters again. Very salty. At everyone.

LOL, everthing so fell in place we had to play at Subi, then the reigning premiers at their home ground, then the AFL love child at their home ground and then the GF at a ground we rarely play on.

How about just recognising one of the great finals performances in modern times and just move on!

Lol how convenient a tiger fan only does last 5 years.

Why didn’t you Extrapolate to ten years ?

Or this century?

In the end you should have just done the last year and you would have made the same point.
Do you ever post other than to whinge and argue.

Ffs, the op could have done 1 yr, could have done 10 yrs, but they chose 5yrs.
Get over it

Do you ever post other than to whinge and argue.

Ffs, the op could have done 1 yr, could have done 10 yrs, but they chose 5yrs.
Get over it

Says the bloke whinging

Well sooked mate well sooked

Remove this Banner Ad

Back