Analysis The Matt Taberner effect

Remove this Banner Ad

Rampe is actually their main defender, has blanketed Tom Lynch, Riewoldt, Hawkins. He's a tough competitive defender. So Tabs did play against both Grundy and Rampe at times
Question is where was Kersten when he was the 3rd tall? Barely took advantage. Nor did Cox.
Midfield problem .

Rampe is actually their main defender, has blanketed Tom Lynch, Riewoldt, Hawkins. He's a tough competitive defender. So Tabs did play against both Grundy and Rampe at times
Question is where was Kersten when he was the 3rd tall? Barely took advantage. Nor did Cox.

Kersten did have the disadvantage of playing as the deepest forward. Pretty hard to do well when its in the opposite 50 most of the game. Taberner played further up the ground.

If it's about remaining on the list? Why would he not be offered another 1-2 years?

Could have said the same thing about Barlow last year.

Who really knows the reason for Taberner only playing 6 games this year? For all we know there's something about him that Ross Lyon doesn't like, just as there was with Barlow and Luke Ball.

Could have said the same thing about Barlow last year.

Who really knows the reason for Taberner only playing 6 games this year? For all we know there's something about him that Ross Lyon doesn't like, just as there was with Barlow and Luke Ball.

Nah I get why Barlow, DeBoer, Mzungu were moved on.
But 23 year old 200cm forwards don't grow on trees, so what's another 2 years with him on a list going to hurt.
He is clearly playing for a lifeline and ticked most boxes today emphatically.

I hope Tab go somewhere else , not because he is not good.
In my opinion he better off to try other team or new environment ( if any) than play one or two game AFL and go back to WAFL and repeat the cycle.

Last edited:
Nah I get why Barlow, DeBoer, Mzungu were moved on.
But 23 year old 200cm forwards don't grow on trees, so what's another 2 years with him on a list going to hurt.

Obviously I agree 100% but I'm not Ross Lyon.

I get why De Boer and Mzungu were moved on...but Barlow would still be in our top 10 players according to most people who aren't FFC employees.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's dropped. Just seems to participate when we have the ball. I'm not sure he or Kersten make it. McCarthy will. He's clearly a step above the other 2.

First game back. He marked the ball well and kicked okay.
Very slow at deciding where to kick the ball after a mark though. Most of the other young players are making their decisions much faster. Hopefully that will improve next week.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's dropped. Just seems to participate when we have the ball. I'm not sure he or Kersten make it. McCarthy will. He's clearly a step above the other 2.

He may not make it but I'm sorry that a bit of a dumb comment.
Please mention a 200cm forward who participates when they don't have the ball?
His job should be purely to take marks, provide an option, create a contest. He did all of that. Ran more then 43 others players yesterday.
If you're wanting him to provide some forward pressure? Boy oh boy wowwee.

That said he laid a few tackles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His job should be purely to take marks, provide an option, create a contest. He did all of that. Ran more then 43 others players yesterday.

I don't want him to be a small forward pressure player: I want him to protect the ball drop and hold out his defender when the ball isn't directed at him, instead of allowing his defender to intercept mark. I'd like him to use quick hands to a running midfielder for some overlap play after his contested mark, instead of taking time like he's lining up for goal on the wing or HBF. I'd like him to be tricky to side step. Aside from his direct scores did he participate in any chains that lead to a score?

First game back. He marked the ball well and kicked okay.
Very slow at deciding where to kick the ball after a mark though. Most of the other young players are making their decisions much faster. Hopefully that will improve next week.

Yep that would be the criticism I had of him yesterday. He had a couple of opportunities to handball to the run provided or just needed to wheel and deal.

No orphan there.

??? Not watched other teams play too closely? They all do. Lobb on Friday night for example did a heap of forward pressure, blocking for the other forwards, bringing the ball to ground for the smalls and so on. Tabs needs to do these things if he wants to make it long term. The fact he probably doesn't at the moment I don't blame solely on him though - our whole forward line lacks structure and coordination - doubt we'll see that improve until next year now.

I don't want him to be a small forward pressure player: I want him to protect the ball drop and hold out his defender when the ball isn't directed at him, instead of allowing his defender to intercept mark. I'd like him to use quick hands to a running midfielder for some overlap play after his contested mark, instead of taking time like he's lining up for goal on the wing or HBF. I'd like him to be tricky to side step. Aside from his direct scores did he participate in any chains that lead to a score?

I think maybe we need to take a breath and realise where this bloke is at.

He's at the cross roads. No questions on that. He played in a team that got belted by 104 points and we want to question his impact??

I mean give the bloke a break.

Was hands down our most influential forward, which is very impressive when you're on the scrap heap and guys like Kersten and McCarthy get a free ride.

Throw Ballas, Crozier and any forward we have had this year into that discussion. We don't have a functioning forward line. Taberner is 24 and wants to play for us. He gets a contract no questions asked IMO.

We want to talk impact? Yeah he can look like he jogs about, but he works his backside off up and down the wings and how would you react if you then had Pearce like floater entries that fall 20m short of where they were intended?

Leading direct score involvements with 3. Genuine chances, should've had 3 goals. Out of a whopping total of 14! We want to question that?
EQUAL 3rd with tackles. Yet we want to question that? 3rd!! He's a 200cm forward for crying out loud and he's applying tackles!
5 CONTESTED MARKS. Beat everyone else on the ground including all the Swans big talls. The rest of the Freo side combined for 5 total. TOTAL!
SECOND in our side for 1%. Isn't that the job of defenders who rack up 1%ers like no bodies business. Seems like he did the hard yards.
THREE marks inside 50m. We took 8 as a team!
Lead all markers on the ground.

There's plenty I WANT to see from every player on our list. I'd love to see Hill nail his shots at goal frequently. I'd like to see Kersten show me his second gear. I'd like Cox to nail his shots on goal. I'd like to see Ballas keep his feet. I'd like to see Johnson not point. I'd like to see Suban not jump on a ball and then hold it in and come up with that same stupid look on his face like there's been an incredible injustice (I mean seriously... how many times does this spud do that). I'd like to see Pearce kicking floaters at Peel.

Let's celebrate what he brings and provides. When he does what he did yesterday there's always a place for him at AFL level.

It wasn't an OK game. He was bloody genuinely good in a side SMASHED.

Can he back it up? Can he do it consistently? Those are fair questions. To ask other questions? Get real people.

??? Not watched other teams play too closely? They all do. Lobb on Friday night for example did a heap of forward pressure, blocking for the other forwards, bringing the ball to ground for the smalls and so on. Tabs needs to do these things if he wants to make it long term. The fact he probably doesn't at the moment I don't blame solely on him though - our whole forward line lacks structure and coordination - doubt we'll see that improve until next year now.

Lobb blocks for Patton! HAHAHAHAA.

So you want Taberner to block for who exactly? Who is our other contested marking beast? Get real. Lobb was floated around as a $700k a year target last year. Taberner is wanting to play continue his career in AFL. Please be reasonable.

Next you'll compare him to Daniher.

My other point is he does participate as mentioned in my lengthy post.

We're asking the world of him and we're upset when he continues to deliver us the moon.

Lobb blocks for Patton! HAHAHAHAA.

So you want Taberner to block for who exactly? Who is our other contested marking beast? Get real. Lobb was floated around as a $700k a year target last year. Taberner is wanting to play continue his career in AFL. Please be reasonable.

Next you'll compare him to Daniher.
Read much? I said it's not all his fault as our forward line lacks coordination. If it didn't then he and McCarthy, Kersten, Cox would all be moving, blocking and assisting for each other (plus bringing the smalls into the game). Despite all of Tabs good work he had less score involvements than McCarthy and Cox. He was also responsible for two turnovers that led to goals at the other end. So he kicked 1.2 and turned it over costing us 2.0. I thought he played a good game but for whatever reason (not necessarily his fault) we aren't getting the return on the scoreboard even though he had a good game.

Posters keep on talking about how much better our forward line is with a tall player like Tabs in it. But is it really? That's why this discussion is valid and "real". If we are just talking about individuals then yeah Tabs played a good game, should get to play the year out and get another year on our list.

images

To the contrary, I don't think we're seeing enough of it right now when it's like this.

View attachment 403128
Harsh but true??
I haven't watched much of the game yet so I'm probably wrong:oops:

The whole team was ******* s**t all across the team. Is that Tabs fault? - No.Tabs isnt a top KPF. But Ross has shown he can make role players out of players like him.

Is he going to improve if we improve our top 22 better midfield grunt & dare I say better forward plans. Yes, I think he deserves more game time, another contract. s**t he was better than 3/4's of the team yesterday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back