Analysis The Matt Taberner effect

Remove this Banner Ad

He played a good game yesterday considering. However the criticism of his off the ball work is valid. It's so bad as to almost make him a liability.
Question is was has he held out of team to work on these things or because his cards are marked. Impossible to be definitive.

Did some good stuff yesterday. I hope he is able to back up against the Tigers and Bombers. If the rest of the team turned up I think he would have been a real problem for them yesterday. Of course they didn't so he was restricted to a cameo.

He is not perfect but definitely does some stuff nobody else on our list can do (except maybe Fyfe).

Obviously I agree 100% but I'm not Ross Lyon.

I get why De Boer and Mzungu were moved on...but Barlow would still be in our top 10 players according to most people who aren't FFC employees.

The only string to his bow was as a midfielder. We had other people ahead of him as midfielders, tried him as a forward to keep him in the team but in all honesty as a forward he was at best a WAFL player.

A better thing for him to be a midfielder in a different team than sitting unused on a shelf gathering dust at Freo.

Who really knows the reason for Taberner only playing 6 games this year? For all we know there's something about him that Ross Lyon doesn't like, just as there was with Barlow and Luke Ball.

Putting my hat on as a "Journalist".

"Sources" say that the wife of a club official had put a poster of him on the bedroom wall. Hasn't been denied by club officials as yet, so at the moment this is true.

He looked good yesterday and seemed to play more to his strengths i.e leading up to the wings. It's what he does over the next two weeks that matter. He has done this before and then fallen away. Stops chasing, tackling and starts playing ragdolls.
Be interesting with Rance. Should watch how Taylor did. We really need to get Tabs 1on1. And on the wings such as yesterday. He's an elite runner, and has good leads on the wing.
But for some reason, our forwards have the plan of running into packs and 2-3 go up for the mark. So many times that happened yesterday.

Be interesting with Rance. Should watch how Taylor did. We really need to get Tabs 1on1. And on the wings such as yesterday. He's an elite runner, and has good leads on the wing.
But for some reason, our forwards have the plan of running into packs and 2-3 go up for the mark. So many times that happened yesterday.
Yes we look very disorganised against the better sides up forward and most everywhere really, at times.

Last edited:
Leading the comp for average contested marks per game. Not bad for a bloke who can't mark the ball :rolleyes:

View attachment 403234
He certainly has shown an ability to take a contested mark...and also drop some sitters.
There is one key stat there tho that stands out....now obviously people will say he should of played more but he was definitely in need of a spell there after some of his performances.
If tabs could do that over an entire or close to season i would be impressed . His stats are probably skewed by that out the box game against essendon too.
Saying that his individual game was reasonable all things considered but as has been the case before needs to back it up the last 3 games

He certainly has shown an ability to take a contested mark...and also drop some sitters.
There is one key stat there tho that stands out....now obviously people will say he should of played more but he was definitely in need of a spell there after some of his performances.
If tabs could do that over an entire or close to season i would be impressed . His stats are probably skewed by that out the box game against essendon too.
Saying that his individual game was reasonable all things considered but as has been the case before needs to back it up the last 3 games

But a season will average out between dry and wet games and/or muddy grounds. As a monster, his key stats will go down with wet games and that tiny sample was loaded with wet games wasn't it? Also, you need time in a group for cohesion, for you to react to them and them with you, game day vs training are way different.

But a season will average out between dry and wet games and/or muddy grounds. As a monster, his key stats will go down with wet games and that tiny sample was loaded with wet games wasn't it? Also, you need time in a group for cohesion, for you to react to them and them with you, game day vs training are way different.

I wish they'd learn and drop him for wet weather games. Dry weather he adds to the team, wet he detracts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wish they'd learn and drop him for wet weather games. Dry weather he adds to the team, wet he detracts.

He played very good wet weather footy at Peel including kicking 5.0, so he clearly has the potential to do so. Perhaps some wet weather coaching might be beneficial. There are a few other forwards who could use some wet weather coaching as well

We were too tall against Sydney. I'd be dropping Taberner. Last in - first out etc etc.

#sarcasm #forthemelts

I think maybe we need to take a breath and realise where this bloke is at.

He's at the cross roads. No questions on that. He played in a team that got belted by 104 points and we want to question his impact??

I mean give the bloke a break.

Was hands down our most influential forward, which is very impressive when you're on the scrap heap and guys like Kersten and McCarthy get a free ride.

Throw Ballas, Crozier and any forward we have had this year into that discussion. We don't have a functioning forward line. Taberner is 24 and wants to play for us. He gets a contract no questions asked IMO.

We want to talk impact? Yeah he can look like he jogs about, but he works his backside off up and down the wings and how would you react if you then had Pearce like floater entries that fall 20m short of where they were intended?

Leading direct score involvements with 3. Genuine chances, should've had 3 goals. Out of a whopping total of 14! We want to question that?
EQUAL 3rd with tackles. Yet we want to question that? 3rd!! He's a 200cm forward for crying out loud and he's applying tackles!
5 CONTESTED MARKS. Beat everyone else on the ground including all the Swans big talls. The rest of the Freo side combined for 5 total. TOTAL!
SECOND in our side for 1%. Isn't that the job of defenders who rack up 1%ers like no bodies business. Seems like he did the hard yards.
THREE marks inside 50m. We took 8 as a team!
Lead all markers on the ground.

There's plenty I WANT to see from every player on our list. I'd love to see Hill nail his shots at goal frequently. I'd like to see Kersten show me his second gear. I'd like Cox to nail his shots on goal. I'd like to see Ballas keep his feet. I'd like to see Johnson not point. I'd like to see Suban not jump on a ball and then hold it in and come up with that same stupid look on his face like there's been an incredible injustice (I mean seriously... how many times does this spud do that). I'd like to see Pearce kicking floaters at Peel.

Let's celebrate what he brings and provides. When he does what he did yesterday there's always a place for him at AFL level.

It wasn't an OK game. He was bloody genuinely good in a side SMASHED.

Can he back it up? Can he do it consistently? Those are fair questions. To ask other questions? Get real people.

Mind reader.png

Last edited:
Where the taberner supporters at? Had to scroll to page two to find this thread. Don't tell me you'be realised you over hyped him and now just playing dead hoping nobody remembers? Hahaha

I don't even mind him too much. But he is what he is. AND he is what he isn't. And he ain't a key forward to build a forward line around. Some might say he's more of a 200cm wingman :p

Where the taberner supporters at? Had to scroll to page two to find this thread. Don't tell me you'be realised you over hyped him and now just playing dead hoping nobody remembers? Hahaha

I don't even mind him too much. But he is what he is. AND he is what he isn't. And he ain't a key forward to build a forward line around. Some might say he's more of a 200cm wingman :p
Far far from our worst today.

He did ok today until everybody else vanished as well.

Wish he'd kicked straight. He has the ability

Was our best in first quarter along with Fyfe.

Does the rest even matter?

Doing enough to earn a contract but agree he isn't someone you plan your forward line around, but he is our best option.

Set shots aside everything else he did when the game mattered was fine. He definitely was our best on ground with Fyfe in the 1st Quarter also. Disappeared with the rest of the team unfortunately.

I hope he kicks a bag next week and then plays 22 games next year.

He did ok today until everybody else vanished as well.

Wish he'd kicked straight. He has the ability
13 straight at WAFL or something. And then missing easy ones at AFL. Gotta be between the ears. I'm torn on him. Give him one more year and hope it clicks or just cut your losses and move on. One more year feels right to me. But not expecting too much from him. Just wish he had some mongrel in him

I'll say this. His leading patterns are garbage. Leads slowly, at the wrong times and to the wrong spots. On stage in the third when Crozier marked, he actually lead to the pocket where we already had two players when there was space the other side.

I will say though that Rance was all over him like a cheap suit...and the fact the maggots gave Rance a free the first time Tabs was a little wayward with the body was ****ed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll say this. His leading patterns are garbage. Leads slowly, at the wrong times and to the wrong spots. On stage in the third when Crozier marked, he actually lead to the pocket where we already had two players when there was space the other side.

I will say though that Rance was all over him like a cheap suit...and the fact the maggots gave Rance a free the first time Tabs was a little wayward with the body was ******

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Feels like we need a new forward coach. Been the case all season with Kersten, McCarthy, Cox. No idea how to lead, get out of each other's way. It's just unorganized chaos. Watch how Essendon do it- Daniher, Hooker, Stewart. Often times they're 1on1. Feel like there's no real leader in the forward line.

Taberner had a great first quarter. 4 marks, 1 contested. Could've had a couple.

No idea what happened to the team after that. A tough day all round.

Feel like there's a lot there.. he's only 24. He has finally got some consistency and now he'll step next season. Deserves that contract

13 straight at WAFL or something. And then missing easy ones at AFL. Gotta be between the ears. I'm torn on him. Give him one more year and hope it clicks or just cut your losses and move on. One more year feels right to me. But not expecting too much from him. Just wish he had some mongrel in him

Absolutely between the ears. Has zero confidence when he kicks on goal. You could see that on his face today. He needs someone to give a shot of confidence and see how that improves

Remove this Banner Ad

Back