Analysis The Matt Taberner effect

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree with all except the last bit. We won't lower our eyes, we never do.

If recent history is anything to go by, you're probably right. In this situation last year we had to endure frequent fwd 50 entries of high kicks landing square on Walter's head with at least 1 usually 2 190cm+ defenders on him.

Might not be tall tall, but he is tall enough and his strength (when it appears) is his aerial game, he's as strong a mark as we have in the team when in form. He and McCarthy (who is a good few levels worse in contested marking) have to come to the party now. Might be the making of them, but I'm not holding my breath.

Ideal world, Darcy in and Lobb moves to more fwd position which is really the ideal ... but you know, its Fremantle, right :rolleyes:

Darcy is also out for a month or more.

Might not be tall tall, but he is tall enough and his strength (when it appears) is his aerial game, he's as strong a mark as we have in the team when in form. He and McCarthy (who is a good few levels worse in contested marking) have to come to the party now. Might be the making of them, but I'm not holding my breath.

Ideal world, Darcy in and Lobb moves to more fwd position which is really the ideal ... but you know, its Fremantle, right :rolleyes:
Cox is only 20. Its quite unfair for him to just be a second forward and plonk marks. Unless we have the gameplan of having our forwards with more space, it’s hard work out there.
Remember the days we played without Pav, and actually did alright and lowered the eyes. Wouldn’t mind Ross actually open his mind and do that. If only.

Tabs is huge for the structure. Not only that but Lobb has to play full time ruck. Who knows how long before he burns out. This is a serious problem alongside Darcy.

If recent history is anything to go by, you're probably right. In this situation last year we had to endure frequent fwd 50 entries of high kicks landing square on Walter's head with at least 1 usually 2 190cm+ defenders on him.
Did the same to Ballentyne FFS

As poor as Jones can be I reckon we have to bite the bullet and play him or Meek. Lobb is sorely needed in that forward line and if we have to play some mediocre player in the ruck then that's a risk we have to take. Hogan, Cox and Lobb need to all step up now, McCarthy too if he wants to remain on the list after the season is over.

IIRC Brisbane thrashed is last year with Stefan Martin playing well. Jones just has to come in this week now, with Lobb taking Taberner’s spot.

I've been a Taberner optimist for years, but I think we're starting to see the roof of his complete potential.

That's neither a definable 'good' or 'bad' player, it's one who in a season will play a number of serviceable games (presents well and lands a goal or two), a couple of forgettable ones (dropped marks, inaccurate kicks) and a couple of breakout games (4-5 goals).

He's just at that age where I think that's the most we get, maybe a little more improvement as per the nature development of a Key Position player.

This injury is sort of part of his cycle, he may not have ankther big one next year but maybe the year after.

Based on this I believe Taberner's a worthy player to have around, but at no stage should our game plan be centered on him. Those expectations are in place for Fyfe, Hogan and Pearce, and maybe a couple of others.

We must cover him with him we have available, and it must be as seamless as possible.

I've been a Taberner optimist for years, but I think we're starting to see the roof of his complete potential.

That's neither a definable 'good' or 'bad' player, it's one who in a season will play a number of serviceable games (presents well and lands a goal or two), a couple of forgettable ones (dropped marks, inaccurate kicks) and a couple of breakout games (4-5 goals).

He's just at that age where I think that's the most we get, maybe a little more improvement as per the nature development of a Key Position player.

This injury is sort of part of his cycle, he may not have ankther big one next year but maybe the year after.

Based on this I believe Taberner's a worthy player to have around, but at no stage should our game plan be centered on him. Those expectations are in place for Fyfe, Hogan and Pearce, and maybe a couple of others.

We must cover him with him we have available, and it must be as seamless as possible.
Agree, but as the only KPF capable of being consistent in terms of marking and creating a contest, no one comes close. The problem will be not covering him per se but the forward line have to function together in order to make up for him.
Unfair really his ceiling is close he ll get, it it wasn’t for the past two seasons with stress fractures, it’s a what if case. Played the first 7-8 games last year before getting injured. Played 9 games this year, kicked a goal in all but one, 8 marks a game. It’s not even muscle injury either. So he’s fit as, but due to the Optus stadium surface, he gets acute fracture injury.

Don’t want Freo trying to replace player A with Player B. Don’t have the cattle fit enough for that role. Need to play Player B, C,D to the best of the forward line. But if Ross decides that McCarthy has to come in, and be the second forward behind Hogan, then the team will be in big trouble. We ll resort to long bombs to Hogan being double teamed Pav-style. That’s ugly.
A Logue or Banfield alongside McCarthy, Hogan, Cox might be okay. But think need the smalls as much as we can. We did okay in the derby and GWS with Schulz, Switter and Matera in. Rather we take that risk again, and force us to play small, kick low and realize we don’t have a tall so let’s not kick it to the advantage of the loose defender.

Hopefully Tabs out will mean the forward line will open up. Tabs unfortunately is a see ball get ball player and tends to make a beeline to were one of the forwards is open dragging his defender with him and clogging the ball drop up. Nothing wrong with Tabs ability except a sound football head . Cox and Hogan are both more football savy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am glad he is still under contract beyond this year.

Yes he has been in and out of the side for the last few years. Freo has given him a good run of games. at best he has been very good, at worst serviceable. I am gutted he got injured again.

Last season was a similar season. He played the 1st 4-6 games of the season then gets injured for 8 weeks then plays the last 5-6 games of last season.

I am really keen on seeing him play a full season. I was hoping this year was the year we would get 20 games out of him. It felt like if he played 20 games this year, he would average 15 disposals a game and kick at least 30 goals, which in m opinion he was on track on doing so.

I didn't expect him to do a Cam or Matera and kick 5 goals in one game. the guy was going to kick 2-3 goals on a regular basis. We all didn't expect him to be the main tall but at least one avenue to goal like Cam, Walters, Matera, Hogan etc

If you look at Hogan lately, he’s been limping a lot!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Have to manage the forward line and spread the load. Feel for Hogan now. Was helping to be shielded by Tabs for the first half of the season, now he has to perform to his A grade, albeit without a pre season. Not looking great.

As poor as Jones can be I reckon we have to bite the bullet and play him or Meek. Lobb is sorely needed in that forward line and if we have to play some mediocre player in the ruck then that's a risk we have to take. Hogan, Cox and Lobb need to all step up now, McCarthy too if he wants to remain on the list after the season is over.

Meek is playing in the freakin WAFL reserves and it is where he should be from what I’ve seen. He’ll get his chance for Peel league this week but he is zero chance of playing in 2019 and odds on to not be on the list in 2020. Could you imagine calling up someone from the WAFL reserves. Many of the reserves players are worse than A and B Amateur footy players

Jones has the opportunity to put his hand up over the next few weeks. Played ok on the weekend. Needs to step up further this week with Peel. He should get a chance in coming weeks to basically play for his career.

Against Brisbane I’d go with Lobb (Ross Lyon spoke today about Lobb being a good match up for Stefan Martin) and Cox (195cm, 99kg) as the relief ruckman.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I didn't expect him to do a Cam or Matera and kick 5 goals in one game. the guy was going to kick 2-3 goals on a regular basis. We all didn't expect him to be the main tall but at least one avenue to goal like Cam, Walters, Matera, Hogan etc
Perhaps not a dominant goalkicker. But 16,5 disposals/game is pretty decent for a bloke at 200cm. 5th in the AFL for marks and 4th for contested marks.

Jeez we missed the big fella yesterday

His ability to offer the get out option down the line was really missed. Also he would have at least halved those marking contests where the high ball to the hotspot was continually marked by Andrews. Got me stuffed how we kept kicking it to the same spot with the same result tho

Lets just hope he can get over this foot problem. Its funny how fans have been screaming out for us to get a 'gun' forward like Hogan for years , when all the time it appears we had one on our doorstep

Jeez we missed the big fella yesterday

His ability to offer the get out option down the line was really missed. Also he would have at least halved those marking contests where the high ball to the hotspot was continually marked by Andrews. Got me stuffed how we kept kicking it to the same spot with the same result tho

Lets just hope he can get over this foot problem. Its funny how fans have been screaming out for us to get a 'gun' forward like Hogan for years , when all the time it appears we had one on our doorstep
It’s concerning that even with Tabs, the mids/backs still bomb it long and high. Hogan had no chance. Andrews has no tall opponent to worry about. With Tabs it’s different.
But gee Cox and Hogan weren’t A grade. Tabs would’ve given us the comfortable win. Missed the big unit. Have to change the deliveries if we’re going to compete and win the rest of the season with Hogan/ Cox.

It’s concerning that even with Tabs, the mids/backs still bomb it long and high. Hogan had no chance. Andrews has no tall opponent to worry about. With Tabs it’s different.
But gee Cox and Hogan weren’t A grade. Tabs would’ve given us the comfortable win. Missed the big unit. Have to change the deliveries if we’re going to compete and win the rest of the season with Hogan/ Cox.

We still outmarked Brisbane inside the forward fifty. We took 17 marks in there . Cox took 4 marks kicked 2 goals and could have bagged three. Brisbane only managed 7 marks in there 50. Imo we were ok going forward .

Anyone still think we play better without Tabs?

Our forward line is devoid of an actual forward that can present as a target, take a mark, make a contest. How many times were Walters and Matera the only options up forward.
Where was Cox?? He has been insipid these last few games. Even when Hogan plays he is not a FF that splits packs, he's a roaming CHF forward.

Hopefully Lobb can fill in the hole up forward this week because if I see Cox lining up for us again I think I'll cry.

Anyone still think we play better without Tabs?

Our forward line is devoid of an actual forward that can present as a target, take a mark, make a contest. How many times were Walters and Matera the only options up forward.
Where was Cox?? He has been insipid these last few games. Even when Hogan plays he is not a FF that splits packs, he's a roaming CHF forward.

Hopefully Lobb can fill in the hole up forward this week because if I see Cox lining up for us again I think I'll cry.
Needed him badly the last two weeks. The cracks were papered over by the fact Hogan and Lobb were still on the park. Now both out, having Tabs is just important as having Fyfe in the midfield tbh. Not only for marking but for structure. He brings the ball down for the smalls and hard match up for defenders.
Bizarre injury too. Don’t think the club is telling the full story. Seen Tabs walking around without a moon boot. Been 2 months. I’d imagine he would push to give himself every chance of coming back.

Needed him badly the last two weeks. The cracks were papered over by the fact Hogan and Lobb were still on the park. Now both out, having Tabs is just important as having Fyfe in the midfield tbh. Not only for marking but for structure. He brings the ball down for the smalls and hard match up for defenders.
Bizarre injury too. Don’t think the club is telling the full story. Seen Tabs walking around without a moon boot. Been 2 months. I’d imagine he would push to give himself every chance of coming back.
Spoke to him at the game on Sunday and he said his foot was going really well and is not too far away....was he just telling me what I wanted to hear???

Remove this Banner Ad

Back