The most average player ever

Remove this Banner Ad

By pressing a few buttons on my stats database, and applying a slight bit of discretion and humour in a "flawed" statistical analysis

Games: 12581 VFL/AFL players in history to date, so the median (#6290) has only played 19 games, and the mean (player #4069) sits at 48 games.
Goals: 12581 players. the median (#6290) only kicked 4 goals, the mean (#2788) sits at 29 goals (0.6 goals per game over 48 games)
Disposals (5268 players only since first recorded in 1958 so a bit harder). the median (#2634) sits at 416 disposals, and the mean (#1726) sits at 1031 disposals (21.5 disposals / game if spread over 48 games)

Taking just those 3 parameters and applying a slight bit of discretion in my flawed statistical analysis, the most average player I could find using the mean has been

with 50 games (rank #4031) with 1077 disposals (that's 21.5 disposals per game) and 28 goals (that's 0.6 goals per game)

Jaeger O'Meara (GC/HW)

Well, that's just eliminated Phil Gilbert.

Damien Peverill

show_image.php

This man would have been worshiped in ancient Egypt as a bird-faced-man-god.

I'm pretty sure champion data did this via stats at some stage during the year and the player has already been mentioned above - Cam Guthrie.

Edit: After a quick google it seems it was just a poster on reddit that crunched the stats.

I get all my info from Reddit, it is superior.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree, take out his 1 enhanced year and he was just a plodder.
Average kick of the footy, very average pace and this rendered him a one-dimensional inside mid that couldn’t play anywhere else.

Very average captain too, for obvious reasons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back