The most average player ever

Remove this Banner Ad

Who mentioned Hamish Hartlett? Lots of talent, big contract, not really delivered much

i reckon i’ve won this...

Jason Blake for the Saints... 219 games, about 15 really good ones, think he polled Brownlow votes once. started his career as an athletic, tall, defensive mid... settled into a back pocket, solid all throughout his career.

few would ever remember seeing him on a highlights reel

Who was that bloke who played i think for Richmond - and then he went to Essendon - a bit of centreman - ruck rover - utility - he was that average ive forgotten his name - but their was a bit of a rap on him - especially when he went to the Dons
Barry young

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hank was gonna be my pick too. 2 time winner of The Ben Kinnear Stringless Guitar Award for extreme vanillaness.
Funny you say Kinnear, I came in to mention him.

Paul Bevan, Steven Armstrong and Aaron Henneman spring to mind too.

I would nominate Chris Masten from WC.

I actually don't think he's as bad as some of our fans would have you suggest, but being an average player at AFL level is a decent achievement. Many, many footballers never get that far. Masten has a decent kick at times, can run all day but lacks hurt factor and doesn't have the want to attack a contest.

Brent Stanton was the first guy that came to my mind when I read this thread. Again, not a bad term, just think calling him below average would be a disservice to his footballing ability.

I would nominate Chris Masten from WC.

I actually don't think he's as bad as some of our fans would have you suggest, but being an average player at AFL level is a decent achievement. Many, many footballers never get that far. Masten has a decent kick at times, can run all day but lacks hurt factor and doesn't have the want to attack a contest.

Brent Stanton was the first guy that came to my mind when I read this thread. Again, not a bad term, just think calling him below average would be a disservice to his footballing ability.

Stanton was comfortably an above average footballer. He played over 250 games and had tons of top 5 b&f finishes (admittedly in a poor team) but you can't call that average. Average players are the guys that aren't finishing in the top 10 of your b&f most years but keep getting games as part of the best 22.

If I was to pick a recent Essendon player I'd be looking at Nathan Lovett Murray or Ricky Dyson. Guys who played a good number of games but never really had any notable achievements or significant impact.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back