Autopsy The mounting injury toll and its effect on season 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm generally a positive type of guy but next week could determine our season.
We have mounting injuries (and likely to suffer 1 or 2 next week) and we are badly out of form, lose next week and we forget about top 4 and worry only on MAKING finals. The 3 weeks after that don't get any better, we have to finish those games ahead of the ledger (4-3 or better) if we are going to have any chance of home finals. But with the way we are playing (singularly and as a team) I don't think it's going to matter or have a chance.
I'm just about ready to strike this season off as far as a Flag is concerned, although I'm looking forward to seeing how the kids finish the year (Sav, Henry, Fogarty etc).

The injuries are not ideal, but I feel we can bounce back. We are only 1 game off 2nd place, and there is no real standout team so far in the combo that looks unbeatable. I always look back to after Round 5 in 2007 when we were 2-3 and looked well off the top teams (beating up on helpless Carlton and Melbourne didn't change that perception)

But how quickly things change in a week....

I’m not sure he should. He was great the first two weeks.

It’s simple, the club recruited a midfielder who is almost 34. Older players get injured. It’s always a possibility.

It was a tough call dealing to bring him back to Geelong; Ablett's still obviously highly talented, but as you point out, his age - along with his injury history in recent years - was (or should have been) a red flag in trading for him.
I can understand the club and supporters being excited at the prospect of Ablett coming back, but I wonder just how the club thought it would need to manage him throughout the gruelling season.

As others have pointed out, his midfield minutes and TOG were consistently in excess of what I at least thought were prudent. I wonder if the club envisioned any rests for him - whether that would be a week off here and there or stationing him in the forward pocket - throughout the season; I suppose there's still time to find out.

The injuries are not ideal, but I feel we can bounce back. We are only 1 game off 2nd place, and there is no real standout team so far in the combo that looks unbeatable. I always look back to after Round 5 in 2007 when we were 2-3 and looked well off the top teams (beating up on helpless Carlton and Melbourne didn't change that perception)

Really important that we beat St Kilda and pinch two of the Port/Sydney/GWS games. If we can get to 4-3 with key players to return, we'll be doing ok.

I can understand the club and supporters being excited at the prospect of Ablett coming back, but I wonder just how the club thought it would need to manage him throughout the gruelling season.
Was a 'corporate style' decision about bums on seats and memberships. It appears that is the main focus of GFC now- If we win a premiership it is considered a bonus.
Once the reality sets in, and Ablett fades into sporadic appearances (as he has done in recent years) the gloss will wear off, and the decision to get him back will be seen as an error of judgement. I hope I am wrong but that is the feeling I get.
I suspect we wont see much more of Taylor in the foreseeable future either, given the clubs history with foot injuries they will tread very lightly ( excuse the pun) and even If Henderson makes it back anytime soon, his form coming back from previous injuries has been poor, so he wont be the messiah needed for the backline.
I have a bad feeling about this year, but on the bright side for Scott he can use injuries as an excuse for (once more) taking us into "also ran" territory

Was a 'corporate style' decision about bums on seats and memberships. It appears that is the main focus of GFC now- If we win a premiership it is considered a bonus.
Once the reality sets in, and Ablett fades into sporadic appearances (as he has done in recent years) the gloss will wear off, and the decision to get him back will be seen as an error of judgement. I hope I am wrong but that is the feeling I get.
I suspect we wont see much more of Taylor in the foreseeable future either, given the clubs history with foot injuries they will tread very lightly ( excuse the pun) and even If Henderson makes it back anytime soon, his form coming back from previous injuries has been poor, so he wont be the messiah needed for the backline.
I have a bad feeling about this year, but on the bright side for Scott he can use injuries as an excuse for (once more) taking us into "also ran" territory
That’s a really really bitter post

Given the club won't report an accurate list, here is my best guess:

Ablett - reported as 'at least three weeks' in today's Addy
Duncan - 'extremely confident' he will play this week (via Scott)
Cockatoo - as per previous PCL injuries (Rioli, Walters) anywhere from 8-14 weeks
Guthrie - no clarification on what his injury is
Henderson - listed as two weeks on club injury list before the WCE game
Taylor - Scott initially said 'medium term' (4-8 weeks), if that is accurate, he is 2-6 weeks away

I feel contractually obliged to point out that "the worst time" is about 20 weeks away
True, but if we keep getting injuries we risk not being apart of the action in 20 weeks time....As mentioned our next month looms large.

Given the club won't report an accurate list, here is my best guess:

Ablett - reported as 'at least three weeks' in today's Addy
Id expect 4-6 given the way he pulled up, his recent history and the club's desire to be cautious.
Duncan - 'extremely confident' he will play this week (via Scott)
PFD had a minor ping - id expect Duncan to be the same. Should play IMO
Cockatoo - as per previous PCL injuries (Rioli, Walters) anywhere from 8-14 weeks
I want to say Jimmy B did a PCL late in his days and he was 6-8 weeks so Id say this is very accurate.
Guthrie - no clarification on what his injury is
I have no info - The way he went down and the convulsed on the ground in pain and was grabbing at the back of ankle made me think Achilles or variant of it
Henderson - listed as two weeks on club injury list before the WCE game
ahhh.. the Balme 2 weeks... I got nothing :D
Taylor - Scott initially said 'medium term' (4-8 weeks), if that is accurate, he is 2-6 weeks away
PF is such a variable thing per each person - lets hope this timeline is accurate.

Go Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im pretty sure Tigers fans were calling it "season over" when they were down 82 points at halftime to St Kilda halfway through last season.

Whilst our current situation is not ideal its a complete emotional reaction to say the seasons over.

The season is actually over when we are eliminated from contention, either at the end of home and away or in finals. People have trouble remembering that.

next week could determine our season.
it's a sad state of affairs when a game against the Saints has that level of importance.

For me this game will only tell us where we are against a really ordinary team.

it's a sad state of affairs when a game against the Saints has that level of importance.

For me this game will only tell us where we are against a really ordinary team.

I actually thought this game was at Etihad, and I then expected us to pushed or even lose to them, at home means we should win somewhat easily.
Still, the way we play and how we deal with some things will tell us A LOT more than just a simple win or loss I reckon.
We gotta play that faster movement style of game, it works for us, yeah it might make us easier to score against but that "stop them scoring" style just does not work and is now falling down in home and away games.
Next week we need to make a statement.

The biggest effect of injuries on this week's game might just be happening for our opponents.

If the St Kilda injury list for Round 3 can be believed, Minchington was then still 6-8 weeks away from returning after a knee injury.

The way he's gone against us in recent years, his absence will be almost as big as Mitch returning for the hoops.

:mad:

Last edited:

Getting Gaz was just fan service.

It'll help ease the pain of dropping down the ladder.

As others have pointed out, his midfield minutes and TOG were consistently in excess of what I at least thought were prudent. I wonder if the club envisioned any rests for him - whether that would be a week off here and there or stationing him in the forward pocket - throughout the season; I suppose there's still time to find out.
We are getting greedy playing a 34 year old 95% of the game time in the midfield. And bringing him to Perth was silly. Hopefully this is the warning shot across the bow that makes everyone take notice. He plays 15 games max a year and spends some time up forward (otherwise we are going to end up like the Suns when they were super reliant on him - ****ed when he's not there).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back