Win Prizes The NBA Off-Season Thread 2018 (now includes pre season games)

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 8?

C'mon man just stop
Get future picks to...
Cavs will be trash in the next 3 years if LeBron stays if not spurs are winning wow how do you not know this stuff? What did the Celtics do 5 years ago now look at them.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

He's retiring in 2020... and what is he going to do with this squad? What point do you have? Spurs aren't title favourites anymore you need to move on, you honestly think just anyone can come in and do what pop has done? Don't kid yourself.

I'm not even sure what point you are trying to make now. You keep throwing out conflicting statements.

Let's go back to the start of this... You said they should effectively tank.

I said they shouldn't.

Now you are talking about Pop, which backs up my argument that they shouldn't tank while they have access to one of the GOAT coaches.

Now you say he is retiring in 2020, which further backs up my point they should be going for it now. Not get assets (that aren't guaranteed to be any good anyway). You need to do what you can while Pop still wants to coach. You said "you honestly think just anyone can come in and do what pop has done". No I don't! That's the point I'm making. Don't be s**t while Pop is there, get a couple of mediocre assets for some s**t coach to come in and do nothing with them.

And finally, why do you need to be favorite to actually try? So, no one should try other than Golden State because they aren't favorites? wtf?

SA get written off all the time. Should they have given up after winning only 50 games in 2010 when LeBron formed a super-team? No, they went on to make the Finals two year later and won a title the year after that.

I'm not even sure what point you are trying to make now. You keep throwing out conflicting statements.

I said they shouldn't.

Now you are talking about Pop, which backs up my argument that they shouldn't tank while they have access to one of the GOAT coaches.

Now you say he is retiring in 2020, which further backs up my point they should be going for it now. Not get assets (that aren't guaranteed to be any good anyway). You need to do what you can while Pop still wants to coach. You said "you honestly think just anyone can come in and do what pop has done". No I don't! That's the point I'm making. Don't be s**t while Pop is there, get a couple of mediocre assets for some s**t coach to come in and do nothing with them.

And finally, why do you need to be favorite to actually try? So, no one should try other than Golden State because they aren't favorites? wtf?

SA get written off all the time. Should they have given up after winning only 50 games in 2010 when LeBron formed a super-team? No, they went on to make the Finals two year later and won a title the year after that.

Plus - this is the Spurs - a team who's missed the playoffs just 4 times in 40 years.
They don't just "tank" unless there is a very specific goal in mind, and a clear plan to get better straight away" *cough* 96 *cough*. (And that was only after 3-4 key injuries)
Earlier this season i actually suggested somewhere that they should've looked at tanking this year if Kawhis injury was gonna be extended: get a good pick and bump up LMA's trade value and then move him for younger pieces - but that would only work if Kawhi was there in 18/19.

It only worked for Philly coz of just how bad they have been, and for so long - and even then they went 2/5 from top 3 picks. You dont get the Simmons ping-pong ball, or Embiid gets another injury and its all for naught.

It worked for Boston because their core were at the end of their careers (which every club but Brooklyn seemed to realise), because of how good Ainge is, and how ******* idiotic Brooklyn were. You give me a Brooklyn (Vlade & Vivek - I'm looking at you) - and maybe you can make that case.
---

Now I'm not in the all-in for a ring camp. I'm in the middle ground - we plan for the future without giving up the present.
If you get a great offer for LMA then you take it.
If someone wants to take Pau's contract - then please let them take it.

But pretty much any of the pieces we get in return for Kawhi make us both younger and more talented than what was on court for 90% of this season.

Last edited:
Boston could package
Tatum
Brown
Morris / Baynes / Smart
Yabusele
+Any any draft picks required to do the trade. This is based on 2017-2018 salary. I think it still works for 2018-2019 (when does the next season salary start?).

Then if I was Spurs I'd trade LaMarcus and tell Parker Ginboli & co to spend more time with their grandkids.

East needs a superteam. Go Boston!

Or they could hold onto two very good contracts of two future franchise players. They were only one of Irving/Hayward away from beating Cleveland. Both of them, plus a bigger Tatum and brown, and one of the best 6th men next season (Rozier) - I don’t think ainge needs to trade a single thing.

He’s not there yet- but nothing says that Brown can’t get close to Kahwi levels in a couple years...he’s tracking him closely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or they could hold onto two very good contracts of two future franchise players. They were only one of Irving/Hayward away from beating Cleveland. Both of them, plus a bigger Tatum and brown, and one of the best 6th men next season (Rozier) - I don’t think ainge needs to trade a single thing.

He’s not there yet- but nothing says that Brown can’t get close to Kahwi levels in a couple years...he’s tracking him closely

Kawhi is a Top 5 player in the league when fit. Brown has about a 2% chance of getting there.

You are right that there is no reason to trade, but when a Top 5 player is available, you will likely get him cheap and you have resources, it would be prudent to investigate it fully.

Tatum and Brown + extras to get a player that's just basically missed a season of basketball and is no guarantee to stick around. That's a massive pass thanks.

Would anyone trade Tatum? He could be as good as Kawhi. He could even be better

I don’t see Boston as the right fit - they already have Kawhi’s position more than covered

I said they shouldn't.

Alright then all I say to you is this do you think spurs are title contenders without kawhi? As good as a coach pop is.
I know what your answer is unless your blind and unrealistic then you just back my point up with me saying spurs should tank with or without pop.

Kawhi is a Top 5 player in the league when fit. Brown has about a 2% chance of getting there.

You are right that there is no reason to trade, but when a Top 5 player is available, you will likely get him cheap and you have resources, it would be prudent to investigate it fully.
Kawhi is leaving whether you like or not
Another couple of simple questions for you would you get want you can for kawhi? Or run his contract out and let him leave for free?

Boston could package
Tatum
Brown
Morris / Baynes / Smart
Yabusele
+Any any draft picks required to do the trade. This is based on 2017-2018 salary. I think it still works for 2018-2019 (when does the next season salary start?).

Then if I was Spurs I'd trade LaMarcus and tell Parker Ginboli & co to spend more time with their grandkids.

East needs a superteam. Go Boston!

I don't think Boston would include Tatum in any deals.

With that said if Brown + 3 potential firsts including a possible top 5 pick next season isn't enough, it's probably time to hang up anyway.

Alright then all I say to you is this do you think spurs are title contenders without kawhi? As good as a coach pop is.
I know what your answer is unless your blind and unrealistic then you just back my point up with me saying spurs should tank with or without pop.

But next year they do have Kawhi, or whatever they pick up in a trade for Kawhi. :huh:

This team won 65 (?) games two seasons ago.

You speak in circles and it really doesn't make sense.

I don't think I'm going to add to this conversation after this.

You've said some really weird things on this board.

I mean the first thing I remember you saying is that Dan Gilbert is a cheapskate, even though he has had the most expensive roster for the last 3 years and has signed all of LeBron's mates to big contracts.

Kawhi is leaving whether you like or not
Another couple of simple questions for you would you get want you can for kawhi? Or run his contract out and let him leave for free?

My whole post was looking at the trade from Boston side and that Boston should seriously consider it... and then you replied with a random thought of the trade from the SA side which had nothing to do with my post....

:huh:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But next year they do have Kawhi, or whatever they pick up in a trade for Kawhi. :huh:

This team won 65 (?) games two seasons ago.

You speak in circles and it really doesn't make sense.

I don't think I'm going to add to this conversation after this.

You've said some really weird things on this board.

I mean the first thing I remember you saying is that Dan Gilbert is a cheapskate, even though he has had the most expensive roster for the last 3 years and has signed all of LeBron's mates to big contracts.

My whole post was looking at the trade from Boston side and that Boston should seriously consider it... and then you replied with a random thought of the trade from the SA side which had nothing to do with my post....

:huh:
so? did they win the championship

how am i speaking in circles?

i say one thing and then you bring up another

Let me say why because obvisoulsy you have not read what i have said

I say dan gilbert is a cheapskate because he didn't resign delli for 2 mil! and mozgov for an extra 5 mil when they were important pieces to the championship, what big contracts are you on about seriously? irving or loves contracts weren't even up for re-signing then.

Next so what if they won 65 games? did they win the championship in the end? gsw won 73 games and still couldnt win the championship no one cares about the regular season so just stop with that justification.

But obvisously you're not seeing the big picture with the spurs and still try to make out what they use to be yeah i'll give them credit over 20 years what the organisation has done is amazing to witness but there comes a time where all teams now must rebuild.

And up to you if you decide to reply i really don't care if you do haha i'm just like anyone else expression my opinion.

so? did they win the championship

how am i speaking in circles?

i say one thing and then you bring up another

Let me say why because obvisoulsy you have not read what i have said

I say dan gilbert is a cheapskate because he didn't resign delli for 2 mil! and mozgov for an extra 5 mil when they were important pieces to the championship, what big contracts are you on about seriously? irving or loves contracts weren't even up for re-signing then.

Next so what if they won 65 games? did they win the championship in the end? gsw won 73 games and still couldnt win the championship no one cares about the regular season so just stop with that justification.

But obvisously you're not seeing the big picture with the spurs and still try to make out what they use to be yeah i'll give them credit over 20 years what the organisation has done is amazing to witness but there comes a time where all teams now must rebuild.

And up to you if you decide to reply i really don't care if you do haha i'm just like anyone else expression my opinion.

Thanks for clearing everything up. It's all clear now.

I love when people make up stats to suit their argument.

Without googling - could you guess which stats are Kahwi’s and which are Jaylens after their first two seasons?

0bb2cfce20ba8f471e8a5ce3518f6431.png

b14f97eac51d1c7371a3b59ad26e1fd8.png

Without googling - could you guess which stats are Kahwi’s and which are Jaylens after their first two seasons?

Lol I'm waiting for his response too.

Still nowhere near as bad as the clown that said neither Brown nor Tatum had much chance of ever being as good as Jimmy Butler.

Still nowhere near as bad as the clown that said neither Brown nor Tatum had much chance of ever being as good as Jimmy Butler.
Some people honestly got nothing better to do than troll.

I'm not sure what your point is. It's common knowledge that Kawhi started off slowly. That doesn't mean anyone who starts like him is destined for greatness.

Would you like me to cut and paste 100 guys who have averaged stats like 10/3/4 over their first two seasons and then didn't turn into Kawhi? Here's one... Michael Carter Williams averaged 15/6/6.

I mean if a point guard averages 8/6/3 over his first two season, I don't think to myself... This guy is going to be the next Gary Payton (8/6/3 were his numbers over the first two years). I think, this guy is going to be maybe a regular rotation player, but he's just as likely to be out of the league in 5 years as being an All Star.

I actually really like Brown. I think he can be very good, but I'm sticking with my 5% chance of making it to Kawhi levels.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back