Fixture The next 6. Where will we be after Round 12.

Remove this Banner Ad

Centre clearance is a concern. Tabs is a worry as he is so important structurally.

This week is a good test, it depends on which GCS team turns up.

Heaps of positives - one of the big ones for me is that Darcy and Tabs should build into the season and then we will add Fyfe. He will remind everyone what absolute class looks like on his return.

Ok, so that makes sense, but why do I need a squiggly diggily to tell me we're the second best team in the comp? I have another secret tool called the "ladder" to tell me this. I'm sorry, this squiggle thing seems like another unnecessary metric someone came up with for people to talk about. We can agree to disagree that there's any merit in it. I'll use my eye balls and the ladder (which is ultimately the only metric that matters) to tell me whether or not we're a good team.
The squiggle tries to account for things like opponent, venue, etc. A good example is North in 2016. They were undefeated after 9 rounds and on top of the ladder, but the squiggle still said they were a mid-table side. A closer look at their results showed that they had played most of the bottom sides, inflating their ladder position. By the end of the year they were 12 wins and 10 losses knocked out in the elimination final, mid-table.

Centre clearance is a concern. Tabs is a worry as he is so important structurally.

This week is a good test, it depends on which GCS team turns up.

Heaps of positives - one of the big ones for me is that Darcy and Tabs should build into the season and then we will add Fyfe. He will remind everyone what absolute class looks like on his return.

we should beat GCS comfortably because their coach is a moron but yeah there is definitely some major concerns about our midfield. TBH the fact that Brodie started from rnd1 should tell people our midfield depth is not great. We need to build on it and if we make a deep run this year we should be exploring trading in someone mature aged to give us some more depth (maybe Neale - when does his contract expire?)

The squiggle tries to account for things like opponent, venue, etc. A good example is North in 2016. They were undefeated after 9 rounds and on top of the ladder, but the squiggle still said they were a mid-table side. A closer look at their results showed that they had played most of the bottom sides, inflating their ladder position. By the end of the year they were 12 wins and 10 losses knocked out in the elimination final, mid-table.
another example would be 2017 us, we were 6-3 or something heading into a game against adelaide in what was a 'top 4 game', but as we'd played mostly not great teams with a fair few narrow wins, the squiggle still thought we were a pretty mediocre side, and then we got smashed by 100 points and won 2 more games for the season.

another example would be 2017 us, we were 6-3 or something heading into a game against adelaide in what was a 'top 4 game', but as we'd played mostly not great teams with a fair few narrow wins, the squiggle still thought we were a pretty mediocre side, and then we got smashed by 100 points and won 2 more games for the season.

Squiggle in 2015 had us rated below a few others even though we were minor premiers. It is a tool that I find helpful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Arguably winning against Brisbane is more important than Melbourne.

If we beat Brisbane and lose to Melbourne our chances of a top two are higher than if we beat Melbourne and lose to Brisbane.
We also will get another crack at Melbourne in perth later in the season.

It wouldn't surprise me if we split them from a win/loss perspective. I think we can do it.

I don't understand why our attack is 10 points worse than Melbourne's on the Squiggle given we have only scored like 3% fewer actual points over the first 8 rounds...

We also will get another crack at Melbourne in perth later in the season.

It wouldn't surprise me if we split them from a win/loss perspective. I think we can do it.

Wins against Brisbane and Melbourne here would be a huge step forward for the club.

I am not as confident as others against Melbourne but do think we have matched up well against Brisbane.

We need Tabs and Lobb back and firing to pull them off.

If we beat Brisbane and lose to Melbourne at the MCG we turn for the bye in a position I wouldn’t have thought possible.

Wins against Brisbane and Melbourne here would be a huge step forward for the club.

I am not as confident as others against Melbourne but do think we have matched up well against Brisbane.

We need Tabs and Lobb back and firing to pull them off.

If we beat Brisbane and lose to Melbourne at the MCG we turn for the bye in a position I wouldn’t have thought possible.

If we beat Brisbane we get a home Prelim. That's how big that game is.

Fingers crossed it's Sydney again.

This weekend is another big test and we shouldn't be looking past it. Gold Coast are 3-0 against us in our last 3 outings against them at Metricon Stadium. Same applies with Brisbane at the GABBA. A win in QLD will be another step forward & tick for this playing group.

This weekend is another big test and we shouldn't be looking past it. Gold Coast are 3-0 against us in our last 3 outings against them at Metricon Stadium. Same applies with Brisbane at the GABBA. A win in QLD will be another step forward & tick for this playing group.
A much truer 'danger game' then the Doomers fretting about North. GC are basically a top 8 / top 6 side at home. Will be a good win

Duh, c'mon! 11-1....obviously :whistle:

In the last two years we have played at Metricon 7 times 3 win & 4 Losses. The players will at least be familiar with the ground.
I think GC will be a good test, but think our system will hold up well.

In the last two years we have played at Metricon 7 times 3 win & 4 Losses. The players will at least be familiar with the ground.
I think GC will be a good test, but think our system will hold up well.
I’m very confident as we’ve beaten the bottom 5 teams and GC are 6th from the bottom. Therefore, beating them will just be another nobody team for others who clearly don’t watch our games and the manner in which we are winning.

I’m very confident as we’ve beaten the bottom 5 teams and GC are 6th from the bottom. Therefore, beating them will just be another nobody team for others who clearly don’t watch our games and the manner in which we are winning.
If GC were a Mel team I'd say you were right, I expect GC will be very aware of our game-plan, I'm not sure they can beat it, but they will be looking very carefully at it and will try to copy it going forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back