• Keep it at 2.30pm

Votes: 230 59.6%
  • Twilight (5pm)

Votes: 82 21.2%
  • Night (7pm)

Votes: 74 19.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It was terrible, you can’t wait around all day until 7.30pm. Takes the excitement out of it and the day drags out too long.

And please stop comparing it to other codes. NRL, NFL etc need that entertainment factor (at night) as their sports are mostly snooze fests otherwise.

We have the best game to watch, that’s the entertainment.

Just because a D grade band look better with some basic pyrotechnics, doesn’t mean you change it.

They won’t anyway, I’m 99% sure it’ll be 2.30pm next year and beyond.

Shocking slot to have the GF and compounded even more in lockdown.
A drag of a day.

If ratings is the reason to have it at night, move it to a Wednesday and don’t be half arsed with a Saturday night.
Better things to do on a Saturday night outside lockdown. And what shows ever get put on a Saturday night because of ratings? None.
If it's all about ratings then may aswell go to a best of 3 model!

Most underwhelming thing ever.
Next year let's hope we actually have a grand final. This year feels like we not only did not have a grand final, but for me personally I did not even feel like there was a finals series.
I been hanging out all weekend for the UFC more than this due to emotionally checking out a month ago when officially confirmed there was not going to be full length games after the 17 rounds. I just glad the very forgettable season has now been put out of it's misery.
Well done to AFL of having a season, to make sure the game financially not totally stuffed.
They done well to get 17 rounds in but ruined the end by having no fair dinkum finals series.
Given the overall year we dealing with I can forgive them for this mistake but I expect lessons learned from this mistake and especially shorted quarters is just horrible for the game overall and get back to full quarters asap.

Absolutely shithouse at night, will go down as one of the most forgettable grand finals ever.
I won't even count it as a grand final for my own memories. Just delete it and move on.
The whole year 2020 should be the most forgettable year in all our lives.
Bring on 2021 please, asap.

It was terrible, you can’t wait around all day until 7.30pm. Takes the excitement out of it and the day drags out too long.
That was a bit of a problem today for Victoria.

Not helped by C7 wanting to keep its horse racing the focus all afternoon. So the game itself didn’t have the usual focus.

If were to go with a night, say 6:00pm start, at the G...you would have all the usual full day activity

North Melbourne brunch
Chuck an U18s GF on at 1pm
All the action from Yarra Park

It would once more be the focus

And please stop comparing it to other codes. NRL, NFL etc need that entertainment factor (at night) as their sports are mostly snooze fests otherwise.
The game visually looks better at night, that is why all other finals are at night.

And the focus on entertainment is not the main piece, even though the half time act did look more impressive, it is about getting more casual observers watching.

The casual fan is more likely to do other stuff during the day, but then chill out at home and watch after dinner.

The rusted on tragic who devotes their entire day to the GF, they will do that regardless of the time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have been to all 3 now of the Richmond gf wins... I have to say...the atmosphere at the Gabba was electric and I am not a fan of the music that played.. as a spectacle it was 1000 times better than the day grand finals
Tis a bit like ANZAC night v Day

Being a Pie have been to probably 20 ANZAC day games, and yeah it is special and the chill during pre-game silence is amazing

But the one night game I went to, wow it just has an entirely different atmosphere to it...

It would take about 3 years for people to stop bemoaning the ‘good old days’ before they realise that nobody cares anymore that all other MCG finals are at night

Thursday night finals is now the norm etc

Was an excellent game of footy & the gabba (the worst stadium of all afl playing states) was a breathe of fresh air. The Mcg is a giant circle jerk.
Oh look we are the best stadium in the world bullshit is just that.
Well done Brisbane. Looked like it was an immense day with atmosphere to boot.

Tis a bit like ANZAC night v Day

Being a Pie have been to probably 20 ANZAC day games, and yeah it is special and the chill during pre-game silence is amazing

But the one night game I went to, wow it just has an entirely different atmosphere to it...

It would take about 3 years for people to stop bemoaning the ‘good old days’ before they realise that nobody cares anymore that all other MCG finals are at night

Thursday night finals is now the norm etc
There has never been a night Anzac Day game. In the last four years the start has moved to 3:20, but that’s the latest it’s ever been. It may finish with lights on in the late April gloom, but it’s not a night game.
Not all finals at the MCG are night games either. Our last one there v GWS in 2019 started at 3:20.
That time slot finishes the game at 6:00, so the network can cut straight to the news.

There has never been a night Anzac Day game. In the last four years the start has moved to 3:20, but that’s the latest it’s ever been. It may finish with lights on in the late April gloom, but it’s not a night game.
Not all finals at the MCG are night games either. Our last one there v GWS in 2019 started at 3:20.
That time slot finishes the game at 6:00, so the network can cut straight to the news.

The original 2020 fixture had Coll v Ess Anzac game at twilight, 440pm ish start

He might be talking about the Tigers v Dees Anzac Eve game which is a fantastic spectacle.

Was an excellent game of footy & the gabba (the worst stadium of all afl playing states) was a breathe of fresh air. The Mcg is a giant circle jerk.
Oh look we are the best stadium in the world bullshit is just that.
Well done Brisbane. Looked like it was an immense day with atmosphere to boot.
I was once at the Whitten oval with more people and a louder crowd that last night.

Night really didn't work, IMO. The game itself was fine, particularly given pretty wet conditions at the beginning. No better than it would be suring the day.

But the supposed advantages weren't there, lighting doesn't make average entertainment good - it just gives a slightly different look to the same s**t. And once the game was decided it was much easier to switch off than a day game where sleep is not becoming a factor. If there was a night game blowout, I wonder how many of the extra viewers would be retained compared to those who switch off, change to netflix, or whatever before half time.

Last edited:
Back