Mega Thread The Official NBA offseason thread - 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The New Orleans Pelicans unveiled the Birmingham Squadron as their new NBA G-League affiliate. The team will begin play with the 2021-22 G-League season in Birmingham, Alabama in a newly renovated Legacy Arena.

The franchise moniker of Squadron honors the region's military history, as well as tying into their NBA affiliate. The team's name and elements of their logo pay homage to 99th Pursuit Squadron. That unit was the United States Air Force's first all-Black flying unit that trained in Tuskegee, Alabama. In addition, a group of pelicans is called a squadron, while the team's color scheme and elements of their logos tie to New Orleans.

The Pelicans had previously been affiliated with the Erie BayHawks in Erie, Pennsylvania. As have many NBA teams, New Orleans wanted their G-League affiliate to be closer to their NBA home base. This allows for players to be assigned back and forth to the G-League for games and practices easier, with shortened travel requirements.

Squad up Son of Skeletor

Pels make the first trade of the offseason.

Bled, Adams, #10 and protected Lakers 2022 1st to Memphis for Valanciunas and #17.

Ordinarily I'd be ecstatic in saying bon voyage to Bledsoe's sorry arse, but I'm not sure I like this trade. Odd year to choose to be clearing cap room.

What's the chances Bledsoe and Adams get a buyout?

The New Orleans Pelicans unveiled the Birmingham Squadron as their new NBA G-League affiliate. The team will begin play with the 2021-22 G-League season in Birmingham, Alabama in a newly renovated Legacy Arena.

The franchise moniker of Squadron honors the region's military history, as well as tying into their NBA affiliate. The team's name and elements of their logo pay homage to 99th Pursuit Squadron. That unit was the United States Air Force's first all-Black flying unit that trained in Tuskegee, Alabama. In addition, a group of pelicans is called a squadron, while the team's color scheme and elements of their logos tie to New Orleans.

The Pelicans had previously been affiliated with the Erie BayHawks in Erie, Pennsylvania. As have many NBA teams, New Orleans wanted their G-League affiliate to be closer to their NBA home base. This allows for players to be assigned back and forth to the G-League for games and practices easier, with shortened travel requirements.

Squad up Son of Skeletor
I like it

7KKZ7WEYIRHEJLRRELSOUHKYPY.png

XWEZQ5VI2NAKPC5LZDUPKJK2SY.png

To open the logo on your phone, please scan below

qrcode_www.al.com.png

Both Bledsoe and Adams are pretty terrible. Getting off their long-term deals is important when you are looking to potentially pay Ingram, Ball, Zion. Also opens up a window where you might have cap space to sign someone before Zion gets his raise.

Ingram's already paid though, while the rumour mill suggests we're lukewarm on Lonzo. It seems like a really odd off-season to try and splurge in free agency, because there's not that much on offer.

IMO we'd have been better off spending in the 2022 off-season, with better free agents available, not that we've ever done well in that department. To that end Bledsoe's deal was no hinderance, as he has a cheap buyout.

And Adams' deal was entirely self-inflicted, so we spent a first and two seconds getting him in, then traded another first perhaps in dumping him. Not optimal.

Pels are still playing the long game. Read something this morning that it opens cap space to match Lonzo in restricted FA, but I'm not sure that is why they are doing it.

We'll be about $36 million under the cap if we renounce both Lonzo and Hart's rights. We'll have a bit less than half that if we retain their RFA rights. If we retain Lonzo's, but not Hart's, I think we'll have just north of $20 million. So, I don't think this trade was necessary to retain Lonzo, but it is necessary if we hypothetically wish to go free agent shopping first.

But if we give Lonzo a fat contract, then Zion his inevitable raise in two years, plus Ingram, plus _____ - then that kinda locks us in. So yes, we can maybe give someone a 4/70 or 4/80 contract this off-season before extending Lonzo and Zion, but is there anyone in the FA pool worth splashing on? We have a lot of holes to fill.

What's the chances Bledsoe and Adams get a buyout?

Adams, extremely doubtful.

Bledsoe will certainly get bought out at the end of the season, his 2022-23 salary can be bought out for $4 mil. It's just a question of whether he gets bought out before then. Given he's a cheap buyout, reckon Memphis will either keep him or try to flip him to a contender at the trade deadline for a future 2nd.

Ingram's already paid though, while the rumour mill suggests we're lukewarm on Lonzo. It seems like a really odd off-season to try and splurge in free agency, because there's not that much on offer.

IMO we'd have been better off spending in the 2022 off-season, with better free agents available, not that we've ever done well in that department. To that end Bledsoe's deal was no hinderance, as he has a cheap buyout.

And Adams' deal was entirely self-inflicted, so we spent a first and two seconds getting him in, then traded another first perhaps in dumping him. Not optimal.

We'll be about $36 million under the cap if we renounce both Lonzo and Hart's rights. We'll have a bit less than half that if we retain their RFA rights. If we retain Lonzo's, but not Hart's, I think we'll have just north of $20 million. So, I don't think this trade was necessary to retain Lonzo, but it is necessary if we hypothetically wish to go free agent shopping first.

But if we give Lonzo a fat contract, then Zion his inevitable raise in two years, plus Ingram, plus _____ - then that kinda locks us in. So yes, we can maybe give someone a 4/70 or 4/80 contract this off-season before extending Lonzo and Zion, but is there anyone in the FA pool worth splashing on? We have a lot of holes to fill.

Adams, extremely doubtful.

Bledsoe will certainly get bought out at the end of the season, his 2022-23 salary can be bought out for $4 mil. It's just a question of whether he gets bought out before then. Given he's a cheap buyout, reckon Memphis will either keep him or try to flip him to a contender at the trade deadline for a future 2nd.

Reading now that Lowry is the target in FA.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like Valanciunas. Not sure of the fit next to Zion though.

Yeah this is pretty much my feeling. I wanted Myles Turner.

It's an interesting one, Adams probably the better defender but JV can score and shoot better. I like it though for the Pels.

Not even sure we're making the trade for Valanciunas, but rather the salary cap savings. He's only under contract for one year.

Might help us a bit though.

Reading now that Lowry is the target in FA.

That has been the noise, whether it's reality is a different question. I really hope we don't give him a mega deal at his age.

His defence fell off last year, and we already have enough problems in that area as is.

Yeah this is pretty much my feeling. I wanted Myles Turner.

Not even sure we're making the trade for Valanciunas, but rather the salary cap savings. He's only under contract for one year.

Might help us a bit though.

That has been the noise, whether it's reality is a different question. I really hope we don't give him a mega deal at his age.

His defence fell off last year, and we already have enough problems in that area as is.
Would have thought you'd just want to pay Lonzo rather than sign Lowry, surely you won't do both?

Lowry doesn't seem like the the right age profile to fit with Zion and co.

Would have thought you'd just want to pay Lonzo rather than sign Lowry, surely you won't do both?

not enough room for lowry and zion. literally.

My worry is that we're looking at what the Suns did, whereas we should probably be looking at what the Bucks did. Giannis/Middleton is probably the closest league comparison for Zion/Ingram.

Of course it all depends. I'd rather sign Lowry for 2/20 than Lonzo for 4/100, although mathematically we could do both. We have to deal with Rich Paul when it comes to the latter, which is always fun.

Lonzo isn't really a point guard any more though, more of a 3 & D wing who can throw nice passes. Like Nik Batum from five years ago.

My worry is that we're looking at what the Suns did, whereas we should probably be looking at what the Bucks did. Giannis/Middleton is probably the closest league comparison for Zion/Ingram.

Of course it all depends. I'd rather sign Lowry for 2/20 than Lonzo for 4/100, although mathematically we could do both. We have to deal with Rich Paul when it comes to the latter, which is always fun.

Lonzo isn't really a point guard any more though, more of a 3 & D wing who can throw nice passes. Like Nik Batum from five years ago.

Zion might not willing to wait that long

Zion might not willing to wait that long

I'm talking in terms of roster construction. The Bucks endeavoured to put defence and shooting around Giannis especially. Zion's a similar kind of player, at least offensively.

Valanciunas and Lowry would give us more shooting than Bledsoe/Adams, but they're not going to fix our defensive problems. And with Lowry's age and Valanciunas only having one year left on his contract, it's not exactly a long term strategy either.

Lowry for MLE money? I highly doubt it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back