Rumour The Polec Trade

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny, sad/mad or I just dont believe it?

images
Unfortunately the above picture is more than possible.
Vlad will laugh at it at first, have a rethink and then accept that if Roos said it then it must be so. :eek:

if jared lyons was uncontracted he would be a pick 88 type trade. if melb wants to bring him over and he is contracted you think they might enquire but would baulk at any questions about a pick under 45 much less a pick under 30. demons will have pick 20 and either pick 21 or pick at end of second round around 36+. they wont send pick 20/21 to crows for lyons. if the crows sold him for an end of 2nd round compo that would be excellent trading. the guy didnt even dominate sanfl level.

This thread and the equivalent one on the hybrid's board is proof that the pre-season is as boring as bat shyte.

We get him on odd days and the Crows on even days. What's the date for the final day of trading?
If it's the 25th then he is coming to us. :p

Which is my B'day, it's an omen :)

north chased jacobs and got in his ear, he nominated one club and one club only and that club then offered us something that had little to no value to us (to use that draft pick we would have had to delist a contracted player before hinkley could even test them in battle)

i reckon rhode straight from the outset knew that losing jacobs for nothing was a price we could afford to pay against teams poaching our players and thinking we would push over. i also think that we were obviously really busy with other trades going on and when we saw north had nothing to discuss we just walked away and said call us when you have something fully prepared to deal with losing jacobs.

for what its worth , jacobs has plenty of talent , not much athleticism , and the drive to succeed of a three toed sloth with a heroin addiction.

I don't really understand how Brisbane think he is worth more. It's like a retailer selling clearance stock at full price because they paid more for it. In holding onto it, they are taking up floor space and dedicating time to a product which could already have been replaced by a new model which brings in more cash flow and profit.

Whole thing is a waste of everybody's time.

Why would Brisbane accept our low-ball offer when they know this is a 2 team bidding war? They are doing the smart thing of waiting to see what Adelaide can come up with. No doubt if they trump our offer, we'll get the chance to offer more.

Brisbane are in no rush.

Why would Brisbane accept our low-ball offer when they know this is a 2 team bidding war? They are doing the smart thing of waiting to see what Adelaide can come up with. No doubt if they trump our offer, we'll get the chance to offer more.

Brisbane are in no rush.

Hear hear, the only thing I have against Brisbane for their actions comes from being a bored supporter...

Well documented? Show me where it is documented with a quote from the Club (the only one you will bring up is the Rucci article from this morning that was his own guess work).

Show me where Brisbane have requested established players only.

Brisbane said that they don't believe pick 30 is enough (however they don't have anything better on offer).

This will currently get the deal done because Brisbane have nothing better on the table.

Is a link from the Brisbane Lions site containing a quote from their National Talent Manager enough?

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2013-10-09/lions-testing-the-market

Kerr also said that the Lions would be looking to bring in a mix of draft picks and ready-made players as part of any potential trades.

“I think we have to look at it both ways,” he said.

“If we could come out of (the trade period) and say that we think we bought some players in who we believe could make an immediate impact while also improving our draft position in the longer term, then that would be an ideal outcome for us.”

Brisbane are in no rush.

Exactly.

The risk for Brisbane is if Port uses its second round pick to secure a KPF (maybe as part of a package) which I think is a higher priority. Who knows what's going on behind the scenes.

The Crows can then make a reduced offer if that happens.

Is a link from the Brisbane Lions site containing a quote from their National Talent Manager enough?

Kerr also said that the Lions would be looking to bring in a mix of draft picks and ready-made players as part of any potential trades.

“If we could come out of (the trade period) and say that we think we bought some players in who we believe could make an immediate impact while also improving our draft position in the longer term, then that would be an ideal outcome for us.”

No where in that does it say they won't accept draft picks, in fact they are talking about their whole trade period so you can't say that a player must be involved for the Polec trade.

Your read of the article is no better than a poorly put together Rucci story.

I rate Henderson. But the point here is that whether they land Polec or not they really aren't coming out on top. They lose a player to gain one of equal value, and on top of that they drive another wedge between club management, the playing group and the fans. Offering up all these established players to gain a 20 year old who's played a handful of games in 3 years is potential suicide.
Then it makes no sense to trade him. He is either a good player worth keeping or a poor player worth punting for a youngster.
I rate Henderson. Good utility. Would be a pretty big risk for the Crows to trade him out for an unknown quantity.

If Port really rate and want Polec and it looks like we might get trumped by the Crows offering a better pick, I'd be happy for us to give up our first rounder. Having said that, if we are prepared to give up our first rounder, perhaps we should be shopping it around elsewhere to see what we can land. Would love to throw a big money deal at Crameri and trump the doggies. This could in turn throw the Henderson deal out the window and we might get Polec with pick 30ish after all...

Hmmmm, it sure is a complicated business this new FA and trade world.
Exactly. If it turned out trading Henderson only resulted in netting Polec I (and the majority of crows supporters) would be very dissapointed. Jarryd Lyons I could probably live with (only because we have a surplus of his type of player) but would still be dissapointed.

With West Coast playing silly buggers we should try and woo Elliot Yeo. I haven't seen anything to suggest he's actually homesick just that he got offered a big deal by the Eagles plus clearly something's gone awry with younger players at the Lions.

Pick 13 for Yeo + Polec is a bargain but still significantly better than what Brisbane will get for trading them separately.

Hypothetically, with Yeo, we'd probably have beaten Geelong in the Semi final.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doesn't mean much because if you were to swap Brisbane with any other club's name it would still hold true.

if jared lyons was uncontracted he would be a pick 88 type trade. if melb wants to bring him over and he is contracted you think they might enquire but would baulk at any questions about a pick under 45 much less a pick under 30. demons will have pick 20 and either pick 21 or pick at end of second round around 36+. they wont send pick 20/21 to crows for lyons. if the crows sold him for an end of 2nd round compo that would be excellent trading. the guy didnt even dominate sanfl level.
You couldn't be more wrong. He certainly did dominate SANFL level and showed very good signs when he did play AFL.

You couldn't be more wrong. He certainly did dominate SANFL level and showed very good signs when he did play AFL.
I have no idea about how he went in the SANFL but we have seen many times that some players dominate at the SANFL level but cannot bring that to the AFL, whereas there are other players that are somewhat average at SANFL yet perform very well at AFL level.

IMO SANFL form does not mean "that much" for an AFL listed player.

he looked good at sanfl level. looked quicker than many around him , has a longer penetrating kick then many at glenelg but still tends to spray kicks or not have the accuracy that his kicks should have considering how sharp they come off the boot. averages low 20's possies. ill stand by saying he didnt dominate sanfl level.

one concern of mine is that we are putting all this time into trying to get Polec for the second rounder, is that we miss out on other potential trades using that pick because we are saving it for Polec

I still reckon if the opportunity comes to trade in a KPF we should use the second rounder for that

If anything we should be actively searching for players to trade in with our pick 30, because if we do we can pressure Brisbane as their next best option is Crows pick 42 + fringe player.

one concern of mine is that we are putting all this time into trying to get Polec for the second rounder, is that we miss out on other potential trades using that pick because we are saving it for Polec

I still reckon if the opportunity comes to trade in a KPF we should use the second rounder for that

I think it would be a waste also. But I would rather use our 2nd rounder in the draft on a player like Reynolds or Riley Knight. They are more exciting prospects to me. Polec is getting way to much hype and I think he is a dud.

I have no idea about how he went in the SANFL but we have seen many times that some players dominate at the SANFL level but cannot bring that to the AFL, whereas there are other players that are somewhat average at SANFL yet perform very well at AFL level.

IMO SANFL form does not mean "that much" for an AFL listed player.
I agree but I fail to see the relevance of this info given we're talking about Lyons?

he looked good at sanfl level. looked quicker than many around him , has a longer penetrating kick then many at glenelg but still tends to spray kicks or not have the accuracy that his kicks should have considering how sharp they come off the boot. averages low 20's possies. ill stand by saying he didnt dominate sanfl level.
Interesting if Lyons is a pick 88 then what kind of pick do you see Andrew Moore as? Who is a similar type.

i think polec is actually a talented player who hasnt worked hard enough at this point in time probably from a combination of niggling injuries , and the situation up at brisbane probably not well suited to a youngster who hasnt commited himself as much as he should have to becoming the best he can.

the question is

a) can he apply himself harder at home and in a new environment?

b) can he get his body in good physical condition?

i think the answer to both is most likely yes although anything like this is just educated guessing. i truly believe his best shot is with port with our coaching and fitness panel and the positive place that hinks and kochie are trying to build a place where people want to play and hinks only asks for your best honest effort. although i dont believe his future success hinges on him coming to port though but it would be a good outcome for port and polec.

getting pick 30 for polec is not a great outcome for brisbane, but its not a terrible one either. a player they failed to develop , that wants to come home , and pick 30 is a usable pick for brisbane to try to get a promising young player to their club in the draft.

i dont expect bris to be happy about it , nor do i expect port to entertain any thought of turning a trade in which we have no hand being forced to give up the raw end of the deal. we must be the winners in this deal. brisbanes hand is forced not ours. we can offer pick 30 , and if bris can do better than good for them. any deal that sends polec to the crows would mean we miss out on his talent , but it also means

a) port didnt bend over in a deal we didnt have a stake in

b) crows must have shed a wanted player and hence only improve their side incrementally.

both port and crows will come away with legacies from this trade period as well as players. they could possibly be as fundamental to future success as the players gained/lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back