Football Related Random Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 2

I won't say on here but have an idea who the player may be. He is no longer at the club and last I heard in a much better headspace.

I think most people have connected the dots but we should avoid encouraging people to speculate.

Hi all,

Going to see the Harlem Globetrotters tonight at the Brisbane entertainment centre. Where is the best place to park? I heard parking at the venue is a nightmare leaving.

Cheers

Arch

Media figures have an ethical responsibility to only report on suicide in a very considerate way, largely due to the well documented copycat effect. Sam Newman has had more nails than wood in his coffin for a long time yet still has high profile media gigs and it is disgraceful.

It's an interesting one to slam the club for not providing counselling services to witnesses.

If I walked in on a friend harming themselves, I wouldn't expect my employer to offer counselling.
If I walked in on a coworker harming themselves at their home, I know a few employers may, but it's not really their responsibility.
If it was shared accommodation, set up by the employer, it probably is their responsibility.
If it happened at work, at a work event, or at an external work facility, it definitely is an employers' responsibility.

I find it interesting the different onus placed on a football club. They were slammed out of the gate for not providing counselling. Depending on the situation, in any other workplace, it may have been the norm. If one of the Lions' Shop employees visited another staff member at their home and walked in on something traumatising, I wouldn't view it as the club's responsibility, but I agree with most everyone one here that the club did have a responsibility, and should've done more in this circumstance.

After stepping back and thinking it through, the reason I think they have a higher duty of care than an average employer is due to a higher than average involvement in their playing employees' lives.

As with everyone though, I hope he's doing OK now, and the boys who witnessed have received the support they need. Hopefully our systems to dealing with this are substantially improved since then, and hopefully our supports are better as well so it doesn't get that serious in the first place.

I think most people have connected the dots but we should avoid encouraging people to speculate.
I will admit that when I first heard this I expected the rumour mill to start swirling.
Full credit to all on here for not allowing that to get out of control on this board.
That is the last thing, that all involved need right now.

Hi all,

Going to see the Harlem Globetrotters tonight at the Brisbane entertainment centre. Where is the best place to park? I heard parking at the venue is a nightmare leaving.

Cheers

Arch

My default move with BEC is to park other side of Boondall station on Aberdeen Pde and walk over. Of course, it depends on the size of the crowd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The train to Boondall is reasonably convenient bar the 500 metre walk through the mosquito breeding ground wetlands.

Of course when you go to catch the train home you’re at the mercy of QR’s timetabling and rollingstock maintenance.

It's an interesting one to slam the club for not providing counselling services to witnesses.

If I walked in on a friend harming themselves, I wouldn't expect my employer to offer counselling.
If I walked in on a coworker harming themselves at their home, I know a few employers may, but it's not really their responsibility.
If it was shared accommodation, set up by the employer, it probably is their responsibility.
If it happened at work, at a work event, or at an external work facility, it definitely is an employers' responsibility.

I find it interesting the different onus placed on a football club. They were slammed out of the gate for not providing counselling. Depending on the situation, in any other workplace, it may have been the norm. If one of the Lions' Shop employees visited another staff member at their home and walked in on something traumatising, I wouldn't view it as the club's responsibility, but I agree with most everyone one here that the club did have a responsibility, and should've done more in this circumstance.

After stepping back and thinking it through, the reason I think they have a higher duty of care than an average employer is due to a higher than average involvement in their playing employees' lives.

As with everyone though, I hope he's doing OK now, and the boys who witnessed have received the support they need. Hopefully our systems to dealing with this are substantially improved since then, and hopefully our supports are better as well so it doesn't get that serious in the first place.

I'd say we are in pretty good hands and well versed on systems that needed to be in place...Experience wise, Fagan has come from an enviroment where Kennett put in systems for all players to have activities outside of football to deal with depression...Nobles time at Adelaide would have been pretty confronting after the death of Phil Walsh.. not only dealing with player welfare but staff as well.

Last edited:
Well.. Geelongs young defense only took about 3 weeks to gel, learn a system and they are now a top 4 backline. If only devalopmemt was that easy lol

Well.. Geelongs young defense only took about 3 weeks to gel, learn a system and they are now a top 4 backline. If only devalopmemt was that easy lol

If only making judgements off 1 weeks evidence was that easy. Oh wait, it is... I’m sure outsiders could look at our defence on a good week and think we were on a good thing.

http://m.lions.com.au/news/2018-04-24/sixmonth-trade-window

Really don't like the extended/mid season trade. Makes it easier for the Melbourne teams to trade themselves into finals and will be used to help each other out. Non-Melbourne clubs will get screwed.

Also makes it more tempting for homesick kids to leave - the pressure on them from families, agents and other clubs just won't stop. Really really need to lift the draft age.

Why are they so freaking obsessed with making major changes to the system. Ughhhhh.

Just greatly extends the time that the strong can prey on the weak.

They liked the scene in moneyball where trades were done in seconds and see themselves as the Australian brad Pitt??

We played the saints and their season fell to s**t, we played the dees and their season fell to s**t, we played port and their season fell to s**t.

Are we the kryptonite of the league, or is the realisation for these supposed good teams that they can only fall across the line againts us too depressing, so they lose all hope fall to pieces?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back