Football Related Random Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 2

I listen to The Science Show each week on ABC radio (actually I listen to the online podcast on the bus), there is real evidence of many aquatic and terrestrial animals migrating much further south in Australia than their traditional migratory boundaries. All the scientists link it to climate change.
Oh yeah not suggesting it isn't occurring but I also personally think that other anthropogenic factors such as deforestation, poor farming techniques, sprawling urbanisation, etc are having a more pronounced affect currently than climate change. Any organism will be impacted a lot quicker if their habitat is polluted, defragmented or in some extreme cases totally destroyed than the 'slow burn' climate change. I'm not saying climate change isn't occurring or it's not affecting the current environment (It is clearly one of the most important issues of our generations) but that other factors are playing more immediate role in regionalised environmental issues today. There has to be a balancing act though with funding and time spent on researching and implementing policies that mitigate human induced environmental destruction and I fear it has gone too far towards greenhouse gas driven climate change and the likes of deforestation of rural QLD for example have taken a back seat. Hardly reported and hardly anything done about it...
https://www.theguardian.com/environ...and-tree-clearing-as-400000-hectares-stripped

Bring your vinegar!

It's unclear from my reading how effective vinegar is in this situation.

Is it a matter of "if you get the vinegar on in time you'll avoid the reaction" or more a case of "you're in for a world of pain either way, but the vinegar might reduce your pain marginally"?

It's unclear from my reading how effective vinegar is in this situation.

Is it a matter of "if you get the vinegar on in time you'll avoid the reaction" or more a case of "you're in for a world of pain either way, but the vinegar might reduce your pain marginally"?

I'm not sure on the latest research specific to Irukandji, but vinegar doesn't relieve pain per se. It neutralises the stinging cells that haven't yet gone off, so in theory you get less venom. But some research in 2014 showed that it might increase the venom from the stinging cells that have already gone off. In that case they studied box jelly fish. Who knows.

For those who have seen me mention Brett Phillips on SEN (ex Fitzroy fan)......should you want to see what he looks like, he is interviewing the winning players on court at the Sydney tourny on 7Mate......he also does a tennis show on SEN.

..our young 18 year old kid De Minaur is a future champ, knocking them out left right and centre! His opponent atm has just this minute retired "injured". He was getting smashed by our boy!

He is a beauty to watch play, fast on his feet, quick thinking, amazing shots.....and NO tantrums, abuse etc. An absolute breath of fresh air.

For those who have seen me mention Brett Phillips on SEN (ex Fitzroy fan)......should you want to see what he looks like, he is interviewing the winning players on court at the Sydney tourny on 7Mate......he also does a tennis show on SEN.

..our young 18 year old kid De Minaur is a future champ, knocking them out left right and centre! His opponent atm has just this minute retired "injured". He was getting smashed by our boy!

He is a beauty to watch play, fast on his feet, quick thinking, amazing shots.....and NO tantrums, abuse etc. An absolute breath of fresh air.
I agree, but he needs some media training.
I am not trying to put him down here.
I saw an interview after a match recently and he definitely needs some work in that area.
Good young tennis player though.

I know what you mean.....but I've put it down to nerves after winning and excitement. The first interview I saw him do, his voice was real quivery. I think it was when he unexpectantly beat Roanic.

The polish will come the more he speaks after wins!:D

Speaking of tennis - the scud had a go at Kyrgios saying he doesn't have the mental or physical strength to win the AO. This coming from a guy who never won a major. I know he is volatile but so were McEnroe and Hewitt

Pat Cash - who has won a major - disagreed!

Scud as very talented and I see some similarities in him and Kyrgios. Both extremely talented, both injury plagued and both probably didn't give it 100%. I think the Scud just doesn't want Kyrgios to throw a potentially great tennis career away like he himself did. Personalities change as people age and what the scud was thinking and doing when he was early 20s he probably looks back on in shame. I just don't think Kyrgios cares ATM but in 10-20 years time he will IMO.

Speaking of tennis - the scud had a go at Kyrgios saying he doesn't have the mental or physical strength to win the AO. This coming from a guy who never won a major. I know he is volatile but so were McEnroe and Hewitt

Pat Cash - who has won a major - disagreed!
The Poo made a couple of grand slam finals and won a couple of Davis cups titles so I think he’s qualified to talk tennis and the pitfalls that come with that talent. I think he and Kyrgios have a lot of common with the exception that Kyrgios would the one of the biggest flogs in world sport. Could dominate tennis based on his talent but so unlikable

Scud as very talented and I see some similarities in him and Kyrgios. Both extremely talented, both injury plagued and both probably didn't give it 100%. I think the Scud just doesn't want Kyrgios to throw a potentially great tennis career away like he himself did. Personalities change as people age and what the scud was thinking and doing when he was early 20s he probably looks back on in shame. I just don't think Kyrgios cares ATM but in 10-20 years time he will IMO.

You could be right. Scud did take it all for granted and was injury prone. Remember him splashing out on flash yellow Lamborghini.

The Poo made a couple of grand slam finals and won a couple of Davis cups titles so I think he’s qualified to talk tennis and the pitfalls that come with that talent. I think he and Kyrgios have a lot of common with the exception that Kyrgios would the one of the biggest flogs in world sport. Could dominate tennis based on his talent but so unlikable

Yes he was part of a Davis cup win or two. Think it was just the one slam final. Although I remember one year he was tearing Sampras a new one in the Wimbledon quarters before getting injured. Could have gone on to win that year- 98 IIRC

IMO Leyton and the Davis Cup team thing are having a big effect on Nick K. He is maturing n I reckon in the next 2 or 3 years he will up the ante.

Also, seeing Tomic I reckon he has thought jeez, I don't want to end up a flog like that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've always felt that Nick loves the team environment and it helps him along the way....also you might right about seeing the outcome re: Bernie.

..on the other hand I think poor old Bernie would like to be part of it all but doesn't know how, due his upbringing. I feel he needs help, he reminds me of a cornered animal, hitting out any way he can......just hope people don't boo him when he plays, and that he can get his career back on track..

It's interesting that both McEnroe and Hewitt also loved the team aspect and both were passionate about playing Davis Cup.

Personally I like Kyrgios - what you see is what you get. No phony BS.

It's been a love/hate relationship for me.....sometimes I love him, then he carries on like a porkchop, and I can't stand him..

...will be rapt when he settles down and realises his potential, which I think he is finally starting to do. We'll see.

It's interesting that both McEnroe and Hewitt also loved the team aspect and both were passionate about playing Davis Cup.

Personally I like Kyrgios - what you see is what you get. No phony BS.

Same here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back