Football Related Random Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 2

Been looking into our stats and drawn some conclusions:
-since end of season 2015 season we only have 19 of the 47 left. Quite an incredible statistic. No organisation can succeed with that much churn. Especially a team relying on knowing each other's play etc.
-3 or 4 years ago Demons and Saints had similar total season Contested Posessions to what we had 2017 (circ 2800). They both have increased theirs to 3200-3300 and risen up the ladder. Our recruitment of Hodge and Cameron won't help in this area. Has to be a total team lift as well as Matho and Berry increasing by 3-4 per game each. Full season of Mitch R will also help but Rocky leaving won't.
-My man Cutler also needs to lift his CPs as its way too low and I suspect could be why he was on outer back end of last year.

After doing the above I had my reality check of where we are at!

Been looking into our stats and drawn some conclusions:
-since end of season 2015 season we only have 19 of the 47 left. Quite an incredible statistic. No organisation can succeed with that much churn. Especially a team relying on knowing each other's play etc.
-3 or 4 years ago Demons and Saints had similar total season Contested Posessions to what we had 2017 (circ 2800). They both have increased theirs to 3200-3300 and risen up the ladder. Our recruitment of Hodge and Cameron won't help in this area. Has to be a total team lift as well as Matho and Berry increasing by 3-4 per game each. Full season of Mitch R will also help but Rocky leaving won't.
-My man Cutler also needs to lift his CPs as its way too low and I suspect could be why he was on outer back end of last year.

After doing the above I had my reality check of where we are at!
So Lions Flag 2020 still looking good?

Hipwood doin the old push the biceps out trick.
Likewise Harris. I think Hipwood is looking a good size though. Definitely a bit bigger than last year but I don't think he'll want/need to get much bigger over the course of his career. His main strengths are his athletic abilities so as long as he increases his strength I don't think he needs to bulk up majorly.

Bit left field but why don't we play all our 2nd stringers in round 6 away at GWS (if GWS are flying at the time). We bounced back so well after our mid season break last year that it highlighted how cooked we were for the few rounds before the break. That way we would have a home game round 5 then another home game round 7 against Collingwood with week off in between. Boys would be fresher for games leading into mid season week off.
Of course forget all this if we have won all our first 5 games!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We had a 'team' meeting late yesterday (approx 150 all up) and my boss's, boss's, 'boss' boss was giving a presentation and in the things achieved he included the Brisbane Lions going narrowly down in the GF to the Sydney Swans. I am there thinking but we beat the Swans in the NEAFL GF and was just about to say something when I realised that these were his predictions of what he was going to be saying were the achievements at the *end* of 2018.

So *someone* thinks were are going to make finals this year ;)

Close is suing the Brisbane Lions and AFL too...

In before any uproar, he would have to, as a matter of workcover. Any injury claim comes as a suit, but there are probably some legals here who could clarify how that works.
(What I'm getting at, is that it shouldn't be seen either as an attack on the club, nor as the club having been negligent, it's just how the process works if he wants compensation).

In before any uproar, he would have to, as a matter of workcover. Any injury claim comes as a suit, but there are probably some legals here who could clarify how that works.
(What I'm getting at, is that it shouldn't be seen either as an attack on the club, nor as the club having been negligent, it's just how the process works if he wants compensation).
Professional sports people aren’t covered under workers compensatjon. His only avenue is to sue the Lions and AFL. Pretty sure it will end up in mediation and settled before hitting court. The optics aren’t great for the AFL as they changed the Astro turf pretty soon after if I recall correctly.

You would imagine the main object of his case will be the AFL and Etihad (Especially given AFL players don't operate under your standard Workers Comp Systems). Obviously as a general rule of thumb when it comes to legal proceedings, the more control you have over a situation the more accountable you are held. Lions extent of control for the game in question was essentially their decision to pick Close for the game itself in the first place. They don't have any control over the ground or scheduling. It would be interesting to know if there is anything in the Players Bargaining Agreements around pitch quality etc and how that impacts this case. Difficult to imagine there isn't something in there about provision of a safe workplace including playing surfaces etc. Would also be interesting to know what the rights of a club are when it comes to playing surfaces; is the sole responsibility with the AFL during a pre-game inspection to pass the quality of the surface for example or is there any onus on the club to inspect a ground as well. The devil will be in the detail.

Etihad obviously has control of the ground itself where the injury occurred, and the AFL are responsible for ground selection, inspection of surfaces and ensuring suitable venues are provided for matches. They had the most control of the situation.

Still, he has a long life ahead of him, and having had a knee reconstruction, he will potentially have damaged other components of the knee that might lead to a future knee replacement for example. Has to look after his future health and interests.

Unless he is trying to sue the Lions of Negligence after the fact. And wasn't happy with the Re-hab process. And felt he was forgotten about and never given a chance. Therefore ruining his career as a result.

Doesn't appear to be the case,

Unless he is trying to sue the Lions for Negligence after the fact. And wasn't happy with the Re-hab process, felt he was forgotten about and never really given a chance. Therefore ruining his career as a result.

Don't think anyone could say he was not given enough chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back