Autopsy The surprisingly mature post loss discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's not kid ourselves that the umpires altered the result but I thought that the aggro that surfaced in the latter part of the second quarter was partially due to player frustration with the umpiring.
Exactly the point I was making. It was to the point the umpires lost control of the game towards the end of the second quarter.

Is this a joke??

He single handedly put this club in the lowest point it has been since the tin rattling.

The only credit he deserves is he was so bad and such an a$$hole to some of the players the board had no choice but sack him.

Crack in??? That's local footy level coaching and it doesn't work at test level anymore either

He is the worst coach we have ever had and to credit him at all is an insult

The chaos that ensured at the end of 2015 was pretty much attributed to one person. I know Cooney, Griffen, Higgo, Jones and Lake before are unique individuals you'd have to give him a fail for people management skills.

Just as a concept and not a comment on whether he was good bad or indifferent as a coach, I'm genuinely fascinated by the attribution of credit to Macca, when you consider:

- I've never heard it suggested Eade should be credited for any results under Macca (I'd dare say he wouldn't want to be either) or equally Rohde for Eade and so on.

- It seems generally accepted that there was a completely different style implemented under Beveridge.

- No less than 7 premiership players never experienced a single days coaching under Macca.

- Only 6 premiership players in fact had more games under Macca than Beveridge (bearing in mind Macca had one extra year).

- 3 of those 6, were Morris, Moyd and Picken who already played more games under preceding coaches and Morris and Moyds roles were fundamentally changed under Beveridge.

Against that background I find it hard to see how he was influential.

I guess just about everyone would agree he didn't do well overall but the people attributing credit to him are more reacting to those who say he was absolutely hopeless etc etc - extreme views - whereas with Rocket nobody was saying that and rightly so.

I'm not getting the outcoached calls. Bev wasn't really tactically beaten at all.
The commentators' constant circle-jerk about Goodwin's men behind the ball (which really isn't that unique...) probably didn't help people's perception.

Hit Outs- Bulldogs 61 versus Melbourne 19.

Clearances- Bulldogs 34, Centre 9, Stoppage 25.
Clearances- Melbourne 40, Centre 14, Stoppage 26.

Picture of Pauline Hanson with the message "Please Explain".

King- "We are dominating the ruck"
Bevo- "Then why are they double our score ?"

How did the hit outs 'to effect' stat go? Guess that would be more helpful, but unless we clear it from clearly winning the first possie after the hitout it just comes back to how the mids are doing and like in the game early on where we had Jong and Dunkley in the ruck in the first quarter and got smashed in the hitouts but still won the clearances, it seems just the hitout stat doesn't mean too much sometimes

I'll continue to claim that we did not lose because of the farcical umpiring, our inside 50 efficiency is completely and utterly s**t.

But boy oh boy woweee.. Those umpires should be relegated to Auskick. * me..

Watts purposefully fumbling with the ball to not give it back after a free was awarded, should have been an instant 50m. That was the worst
Dahlhaus' goal was a goal, and any other day would have been called that
Petracca shitting his pants and dropping the ball on the forward line when tackled
Watt's non mark

I'll continue to claim that we did not lose because of the farcical umpiring, our inside 50 efficiency is completely and utterly s**t.

But boy oh boy woweee.. Those umpires should be relegated to Auskick. **** me..

Watts purposefully fumbling with the ball to not give it back after a free was awarded, should have been an instant 50m. That was the worst
Dahlhaus' goal was a goal, and any other day would have been called that
Petracca shitting his pants and dropping the ball on the forward line when tackled
Watt's non mark

Viney diving on the ball in our forward line was a doozey

How many hitouts to advantage? I'm not surprised by those stats at all since 75% of Boyd's hitouts seemed to be going to the opposition.

Anyone notice how we got a few cheapies when the game was over- umps always do this when they stuff up.
And call a free when they had seen us streaming away with the ball anyway.
Not saying it's a deliberate square up but there are frees ... and then there are FREEs. Not all frees are blown equal. These ones are meaningless in terms of impact on the match.

These ones are meaningless in terms of impact on the match.

Yep, a lot of equalisation frees towards in the junk time of the 2nd and 4th quarters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I addressed this issue and suggested some reasons here.

If we are to make any headway our clearance work needs drastic improvement.
Imagine what would have happened if Gawn had been playing.
We won't have the same ruck advantage against Goldstein.

I guess just about everyone would agree he didn't do well overall but the people attributing credit to him are more reacting to those who say he was absolutely hopeless etc etc - extreme views - whereas with Rocket nobody was saying that and rightly so.
Sorry, Fossie, my comment was deliberately not intended to discredit Macca - ultimately a coach lives and dies by their record which speaks for itself and I'm nowhere near any of the intangibles of his relationships with the players. My post was limited solely to the concept of attributing credit to a predecessor when the evidence suggests he had limited capacity to influence a team of which 1/3 he never coached and only 3/22 played more games under him than another coach.

We lost the clearances because we weren't spreading aggressively enough. Our players were too content to handball back into the contest and nobody was able to get free.

We got smashed on the scoreboard because when we did get the ball forward we butchered it, and because when they got the ball forward we were consistently out of position.

We failed in pretty much every phase of the game.

So what you are saying "Yojimbo" is with such a physical dominance
in raw numbers why did not we start two wingmen on the same
side of the square and in effect nullify the Melbourne tactic of
starting two players at the back of the square. In fact with such
a numerical dominance you could shift your entire focus of attack
to one side of the ground or load up allowing leads to the open
side, oh my god it sounds like a plan for playing a team with no
rucks.

Sorry, Fossie, my comment was deliberately not intended to discredit Macca - ultimately a coach lives and dies by their record which speaks for itself and I'm nowhere near any of the intangibles of his relationships with the players. My post was limited solely to the concept of attributing credit to a predecessor when the evidence suggests he had limited capacity to influence a team of which 1/3 he never coached and only 3/22 played more games under him than another coach.
Yeah no worries, I knew that, just trying to explain people's responses. I guess the cracking in mantra was good but without a wider game plan not so great

Beveridge will go through the right channels if he has a problem with the umpiring, the last thing we want is to act like Longmire and the Scotts.

Even though it was putrid on the w.e (Dale Morris deliberate, Tory Dickson/Jack Watts marks, Tom Bugg double goal, Viney holding the ball) it didn't cost us the game. So I guess that's that.

The last two weeks you basically knew we were gonna get stitched up by quarter time. That HTB on Bontempelli vs Sydney was one of the worst decisions I've seen, he got his ******* head ripped off.

For mine, there were a number of free kicks missed by the umpires because of the way in which they are instructed to position themselves.

I've always been baffled as to my the AFL don't adopt umpiring positions similar to those used in basketball where they adjudicate the game, to some degree, from the outside in rather than the AFL preference of the inside out.

If one umpire was positioned along the boundary and adjudicated from that angle, I believe the accuracy of decision making would improve.

The chaos that ensured at the end of 2015 was pretty much attributed to one person. I know Cooney, Griffen, Higgo, Jones and Lake before are unique individuals you'd have to give him a fail for people management skills.

Don't forget the way he treated Cross and he had told Moz and Moyd they were both finished.

Beveridge will go through the right channels if he has a problem with the umpiring, the last thing we want is to act like Longmire and the Scotts.

Even though it was putrid on the w.e (Dale Morris deliberate, Tory Dickson/Jack Watts marks, Tom Bugg double goal, Viney holding the ball) it didn't cost us the game. So I guess that's that.

The last two weeks you basically knew we were gonna get stitched up by quarter time. That HTB on Bontempelli vs Sydney was one of the worst decisions I've seen, he got his ******* head ripped off.
Bontempelli knew it, too. His face after the deliberate (the fifth free they paid against him on the night) was priceless, complete derision with just a hint of smugness.

Wonder what Buckley said to the AFL after those 2 blatant HTB against Melbourne the week before in the last 2 minutes. Actually felt sorry for Collingwod the way they were stitched up. Can we do a joint thread with the Pies ' blatant Dee- loving umps'

Whilst blatantly hypocritical all those calls don't annoy as much as way our tackles never get rewarded. Must have counted at least 10 blatant HTB which ended up in a stoppage. how many HTBs did we actually get? Yet Bont and Stringer get done even after they have correctly disposed week after week- you can blame Clarko and Longmire for their Sooky la la comments IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back