State Victoria - The Mighty Bushrangers

Remove this Banner Ad

Okay, season is over.

+ Maxwell's form
+ Tremain showing that he could become a serious test player if given the opportunity
+ Harris continuing to show he'll be a solid opener for 10 years
+ Pucovski's three games showed he will be a player (if he works on his ability to play short deliveries)
+ Cameron. *******. White.

- Disappointing form from the likes of Short and Harper when given the opportunity
- Travis Dean form for the first 6 matches
- Will Pucovski's concussions
- Not giving Coleman a chance, the guy was the perfect choice to play in Perth.

Overall we had a better season than I expected, hopefully we can continue developing the likes of Pucovski and Gotch with the bat so they can push for higher honours a few years down the track and Tremain and Holland can press their claims for Australia as well.

Heard we might be into Kane Richardson this off-season. Would be an interesting addition, I'd honestly prefer trying to convince Worrall into coming back as I think he's a better exponent at what we lack in swing bowling. I'd love it if we were able to get an all rounder who bowls left arm fast medium. Thoughts on the best XI for next season?

Dean (Showed his quality at the end but needs to be more consistent, he's experienced enough now that we can ask him to do that)
Harris (Solid season and could be in the TOTY IMO)
Maxwell (Very nervous he goes onto the T20 circuit now, if he does then Vines slots in here)
Handscomb (c, needs a big season to get back into the test side)
Pucovski (Made runs early, get him working on the playing of short balls over winter)
Finch (Only averaged 35 this season and will be 32 in November. Another possibility on the T20 circuit apparently. Vines or... I honestly don't know here)
Gotch (+, average of 31 this season wasn't great but has shown grit and determination. The difference in his and Harper's batting is too great to ignore.)
Tremain (Elite at this level)
Boland (will continue to be Mr. Dependable for us)
Holland (very good spinner, will continue to play high level cricket for us next season)
Coleman (I think Siddle has done his dash. His second half of the year was very good but let's see what the kid has to offer. Unless Pattinson is fit, in which case he plays)

White is nearly 35, Siddle 34 in November, so I wouldn't be surprised if they called it on their careers. If Maxy and Finch go on the T20 circuit we'll be extremely short on batting, especially if Hank goes back into the Aussie set up. That would leave us with Vines 3, Pucovski 4, White 5 probably (would probably do one more year if others move to the T20 circuit), Gotch 6 and Harper 7.

So Andrew Fekete coming home for family reasons. Does he get a gig for us? If not, is he first bowler in if an injury occurs? Handy depth at worst IMO for a couple of years.

depends if Siddle is still holding his spot, or if we're developing Coleman.
Come on mate. We know the latter won't happen. We're Victoria.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This again. lol.
If these players are good enough they'll force their way in. If not then your complaints fall on deaf ears.
I forgot to use the :p emoji.

Our bowling depth could hardly be better, really. None are likely to play international level. (No CA you cannot use Pattinson next year, * off.) But all are practically international standard. Nice balance to have.

Would be nice to find a batter or 2 though. Finch and White are still 2 of our best aged well over 30. Maxi and Pete won't play for us much now with those 3 suspensions especially.

Harris is pushing for higher honours. So who do we have left? A young bloke with serious question marks over his future already due to concussion. And Travis Dean. We have Travis Dean.

Must recruit batsmen.

Maddinson? :sick:
I know what you're thinking but there's no denying he's a talent. Maybe a change of scenery will do him good.

36, not going to play for Australia. Take out his 8-fa and he took 19 wickets, ave 47. Sam Grimwade took 20 wickets in FL cricket at 26 so they probably see him as a better option to develop if Holland is injured/on international duty.

36, not going to play for Australia. Take out his 8-fa and he took 19 wickets, ave 47. Sam Grimwade took 20 wickets in FL cricket at 26 so they probably see him as a better option to develop if Holland is injured/on international duty.

Can't take out his 8fa...he got the wickets and they count towards his overall stats. You can take out whatever stats you like to suit any argument you are wanting to make about any player.

Can't take out his 8fa...he got the wickets and they count towards his overall stats. You can take out whatever stats you like to suit any argument you are wanting to make about any player.
Okay then. Still averaged 38, including games on spin friendly wickets in SA, NSW and Junction. If you take out Swepson's best game he still averaged around the same, and there were no other spinners who got regular games this season. He's past it.

Truly disgusting the level of hate one man has for a good honest servant of this state, his adopted home.
"Hate". Okay. I've met the guy. Good person. All the time in the world for him. His performances from 15/16 onwards suggest he has one good game surrounded by many poor ones. Not rating him as a first class cricketer is completely different.

Ahmed had a stellar 14/15, his 15/16 was poor to average at best, barely played 16/17 admittedly due to Holland taking over as our #1 spinner but his 17/18 was very poor by any measure. High economy rate, high average, high strike rate. He's still a good T20 and ODD cricketer, don't get me wrong, but he's been on the decline for a while now, and I'm glad CV have recognized that even if you can't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back