State Victoria - The Mighty Bushrangers

Remove this Banner Ad

Have had a listen, a bit to digest in that. Interesting that he seems to not care about shield successes in terms of winning the actual thing if no Australian players are being produced, then also not happy that the Shield successes aren't being recognised? Also seemed to dodge the question about what he had done to try to rectify things, instead just saying he hadn't heard from anyone on the board.
Nevertheless, sad to hear the hurt in his voice and what it has come to. Can't fault his passion and raised some valid points which are worth consideration.

If Jones was successful and got a job, wouldn’t that be a job for one of the boys?

He would disagree as he obviously doesn't feel like one of the boys but you could make an argument like that. The Klinger one seems a bit different to Hussey as well surely given that he played a bit more widely and didn't play any BBL for either Melbourne side.

So many points.

- Took the ownership and management of Stars and Renegades away from McGuire etc and lost millions in sponsorship as a result.
- Previous successes are not recognised. Shield reunions not held.
- No money to have pre-season fixtures.
- State of premier cricket is pathetically poor.
- No permanent players in the Aus team.
- States that he probably is the last top 6 batsman in the test team of note.
- Culture is poor. Ingleton and co do not respect former players and players like Warne, Jones, Saker, Merv have all left CV with an axe to grind.
- CV doesn’t prioritise Aus team and going after Zampa just proves that. Reckons they should be giving time to Will Parker.
- Applied for the BBL coaching gigs but job for boys for Dave Hussey with no experience. Listed a couple other jobs for the boys that I can’t remember.
- Says if you go to Cricket NSW they care only for how many of their players are in the Aus team and they rub your noses in it. CV doesn’t have that vision.

Take out the second last one and it all seems pretty reasonable. Would have thought you'd want someone that has played a bit of T20 to be a coach in the format. TBH I don't recall Jones having a lot of coaching experience? Ok, he has coached in the PSL.

So many points.

- Took the ownership and management of Stars and Renegades away from McGuire etc and lost millions in sponsorship as a result.
- Previous successes are not recognised. Shield reunions not held.
- No money to have pre-season fixtures.
- State of premier cricket is pathetically poor.
- No permanent players in the Aus team.
- States that he probably is the last top 6 batsman in the test team of note.
- Culture is poor. Ingleton and co do not respect former players and players like Warne, Jones, Saker, Merv have all left CV with an axe to grind.
- CV doesn’t prioritise Aus team and going after Zampa just proves that. Reckons they should be giving time to Will Parker.
- Applied for the BBL coaching gigs but job for boys for Dave Hussey with no experience. Listed a couple other jobs for the boys that I can’t remember.
- Says if you go to Cricket NSW they care only for how many of their players are in the Aus team and they rub your noses in it. CV doesn’t have that vision.
Okay, from my POV:

1. Yeah, big mistake
2. Another fair point, but they have other things to do at times
3. Factually incorrect
4. It's the second strongest grade league in the country and clubs like Melbourne and St. Kilda would more than hold their own in County D2
5. Yep, one of my bigger bug bears with our development.
6. Yeah, neither Hank nor Hodge were as successful as we would have hoped
7. Four former players with ego's the size of Everest. Colour me shocked.
8. From what I can understand, Zampa wants us more than we want him. We're just picking him up on the cheap for OD cricket. Plus he's the exact sort of player to lift the "pathetically poor" standard of Grade Cricket
9. Dave Hussey, the guy that got them to the final, only to lose to half the Australian T20 side?
10. That is actually the truth.

Overall, some good points, but a lot of ego driven ones

Interesting he says Bayliss applied for one of the T20 gigs and they still went for the inexperienced pair. I think the fact Hussey was on the board and resigned to take up the coaching gig is quite poor and definitely shows a bit of jobs for the boys. Whilst they made the final, they did it last year as well, so he didn’t exactly improve the team at all.

Also he is right about premier cricket, it’s a joke and has been for a very long time.

Yeah I think the most interesting line is: "“They have given jobs for the boys and I think it is an insult not just to me, but to overseas coaches."

it's rare you hear someone in Australian cricket advocate for overseas coaches over the local boys. it is an absolute joke that Hussey and Klinger got the gigs, but it's part of a wider problem sparked when Lehmann and Langer went straight into coaching state sides and had success. lotta domestic teams seem to think a good career is the main criteria for coaching jobs, and they're more than happy to give them out to players who have just finished their playing careers.

So Hank and Harris lose their CA contracts. So that leaves (if Stoinis and Zampa sign):

Aaron Ayre (Stay? Solid if unspectacular season below)
Scott Boland (Stay)
Jackson Coleman (Stay)
Xavier Crone (Stay? Has been a regular in FL so stays in selectors thoughts but would he get more opportunities elsewhere? Not sure)
Travis Dean (Stay, returned to form late last year)
Zak Evans (Stay)
Andrew Fekete (retired)
Aaron Finch (Stay)
Sebastian Gotch (Stay)
Peter Handscomb (Stay)
Sam Harper (Stay? Could get more opportunities in NSW or Tassie)
Marcus Harris (Stay)
Mackenzie Harvey (Stay? Not sure he has the technique for FC cricket)
Jon Holland (Stay)
Nic Maddinson (Stay)
Glenn Maxwell (Stay)
Tom O’Connell (Stay? Was he contracted 2 or 3 years?)
James Pattinson (Stay)
Will Pucovski (Stay)
Jake Reed (Go, average grade season which he couldn't afford)
Matthew Short (Stay? Is he best XI?)
Peter Siddle (Pretty sure he'll go)
Will Sutherland (Stay. Best XI in both formats)
Chris Tremain (Go, unfortunately)
Eamonn Vines (Go)

Rookies:

Sam Elliott (Stay? Gets injured a lot)
Jake Fraser-McGurk (Promoted)
Jonathan Merlo (Think he has 1 more year on the rookie list)
Ed Newman (Dump, not even in Dandy's best side)
Mitchell Perry (Stay)
Patrick Rowe (Stay)

Add Stoinis and Zampa, Parker gets into the list as well, Seymour gets a gig. Probably need another couple of quicks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

O'Connell's initial deal was 3 years

Interesting to see how that goes. Who was the young leggie you guys uncovered who looked alright?
This is turning out to be a poor deal. He's barely taken a wicket at grade level

Wil Parker. Could still pick footy.

This is turning out to be a poor deal. He's barely taken a wicket at grade level

Wil Parker. Could still pick footy.
Was a silly decision to move

Had had one good year at 1st Grade level here. Was just finding his feet. Wasn't the time to upend everything as a 17 year old.

FWIW I think he can play and will do well if he comes home.

Was a silly decision to move

Had had one good year at 1st Grade level here. Was just finding his feet. Wasn't the time to upend everything as a 17 year old.

FWIW I think he can play and will do well if he comes home.

It would've been extremely difficult to turn down though, a full contract vs maybe getting a rookie deal. Plus he knew that the SACA would be more inclined to play Pope.

It would've been extremely difficult to turn down though, a full contract vs maybe getting a rookie deal. Plus he knew that the SACA would be more inclined to play Pope.
He had a guaranteed rookie deal here

Also wasn't at a stage of his career where it was make it or break it

Don't know who his manager is but it reeks of a decision based on the contract only rather than seeing the whole picture

He had a guaranteed rookie deal here

Also wasn't at a stage of his career where it was make it or break it

Don't know who his manager is but it reeks of a decision based on the contract only rather than seeing the whole picture
Obviously it wasn't the right move for either party and both probably regret it. List spots will be tight due to losing CA contracts for Harris and Handscomb and now I'd estimate him being 4th or 5th in line for the spinner spot if we do in fact get Zampa.

Obviously it wasn't the right move for either party and both probably regret it. List spots will be tight due to losing CA contracts for Harris and Handscomb and now I'd estimate him being 4th or 5th in line for the spinner spot if we do in fact get Zampa.
If we get Zampa, we might let Ducky go.

If we get Zampa, we might let Ducky go.
Doubt it. He's still clearly our best FC spinner and second best LO spinner. Plus if Trem/Siddle leave we may play 2 spinners in OD cricket

Doubt it. He's still clearly our best FC spinner and second best LO spinner. Plus if Trem/Siddle leave we may play 2 spinners in OD cricket
That's one way of looking at it. The other is he's 33 going on 34, has peaked and we have a young spinner weighing up cricket v footy.

Not necessarily saying we should do it, but it's in the conversation, because as you say, spots will be tight.

That's one way of looking at it. The other is he's 33 going on 34, has peaked and we have a young spinner weighing up cricket v footy.

Not necessarily saying we should do it, but it's in the conversation, because as you say, spots will be tight.
He'll make his decision before we have to make one. It's his draft year this year

Big changes ahead within Cricket Victoria:

What I don’t understand is how are we in such a hole during our off-season?

Yeah it seems a bit over the top them talking of running out of money before next season when the pandemic really only hit so late in the season.

Yes the global economy is going downhill fast, but a lot of cutting seems to be predicting Armageddon before it actually happens.

I’m expecting the championships I’ve been playing will be cut, such a shame, it’s been a good experience.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back