Things you believed/were told as a kid (that are really quite stupid)

Remove this Banner Ad

Was told that if I ate watermelon seeds they would grow out my ears. I accidently ate one and bawled my eyes out. Remember it clearly. Bitch aunty.
I was going to post something similar, wtf is it with watermelon seeds?

My dad told me that I'd grow a watermelon plant in my belly if I ate the seeds-I cried too when I accidentally ate one :(

As a five year old, thinking that when you were born as a boy, you only had one ball, and the other one grew into place in the next couple of years.
I swallowed a marble once. Within the next few days I discovered my balls. For a very very very long time I thought it was the marble.

Eating breakfast and that it is the most important meal of the day. Kelloggs really influenced a whole generation into sending the Western world into obesity.

Breakfast is absolutely the most important meal of the day. Of the three traditional mealtimes, by far the most important one is where you put food into your body after waking up from your overnight fast. There is no serious disagreement on that whatsoever.

Whether most people are eating the right things for breakfast is a completely different discussion.

These are more in the What I Was Told category than What I Believed.

After Grease had been released, my 12 year old cousin tried to convince my brother and me (primary school kids at the time) that they had put Vegemite in John Travolta's hair to make it look shiny.
My cousin liked to spin a few yarns back then. She also tried to convince us that sewerage workers wore special gloves to handle poo as they picked it up from the end of the toilet pipes and threw it into a big waste area.
Another dodgy tale she told was that actors in TV shows were actually having a drinks break when commercials were on.

When I was a kid in 3rd grade (pre-Internet), I never understood why Star Wars: A New Hope started on Episode IV. When I asked some other kid at my age in school about it, he goes...

"Oh, Episodes I, II and III is actually Star Trek I, II, III"

Even I knew he was talking nonsense. It wasn't until around the time of the re-release of original trilogy for the 20th anniversary in '97 that I was correctly told that the prequels were coming.

Example:

When I was six (and my older brother was eight) he used to tell me that according to the laws of Victoria, the minimum age for riding in the front seat of a car was seven, thus enabling him to have monopoly over the front passnger seat (single parent family). I actually believed the ****er. Naturally, on my seventh birthday, he then informed me that recent statutory amendments had lifted the age to eight. To whcih I promptly responded by kicking him in the balls.

Anyone else can recall being totally misconceived about the world when they were a kid?

... and now he is right

Ha ha, you actually are not allowed to sit in the front seat until you are eight (unless all other seating positions are occupied by younger children)

These laws were probably not around when you were eight however.

It's actually seven but kids under 12 shouldn't be in the front seat in any case

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That being at school is the best days of your life so enjoy it. **** that, I condensed more enjoyment into the three years following Year 12 than my Dad obviously but then again I had a ready supply of Green Mitsubishis

That if you sat too close to the TV you'd get square eyes.

That if you "sat on your feet" instead of sitting nicely on a chair you'd cut off the circulation and your legs would die and fall off. I think it was just Mum wanting to keep the seat cushions clean.

I remember misinterpreting my Dad when he said in around 1976 television turned to colour from black and white. Since I had only ever seen 'old' pictures on TV in black and white, I assumed that ALL OF LIFE was seen in black and white pre '76, and I wished I would have been there in 1976 when LIFE suddenly turned to colour.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back