Things you believed/were told as a kid (that are really quite stupid)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm a bit older than most here. I was a kid in the Cold War.

I remember the media going on and on about communists. Communist this, communist that, blah blah communists, all very negative.

As a result, I always thought communist = 'animal fornicating, kiddy fiddling, excrement eating, grave robbing, charity stealing bunch of campaigners.

So it always amazed me that the 'other side' were happy to identify themselves as communists.

Heh - Even growing up post-cold war, I still had a similar concept of what a communist was.

Remember being in high school and going to a friend's party and in the back shed there was an old campaign poster of my friend's uncle who had ran in an election under the communist party. I was just in shock.. Why would you be a communist?

I didn't even know what it meant, I just thought it meant 'bad' -

I really struggled to understand petrol prices as a kid, I thought that 71.9 or whatever it was back then meant 71 cents for .9 of a litre. The concept of a fraction of a cent just didn't compute. I remember getting super confused when the price was 71.1 and I thought we were getting .1 of a litre.

I really struggled to understand petrol prices as a kid, I thought that 71.9 or whatever it was back then meant 71 cents for .9 of a litre. The concept of a fraction of a cent just didn't compute. I remember getting super confused when the price was 71.1 and I thought we were getting .1 of a litre.

Solid childhood intelligence to team supported ratio.

(sorry but had to be done :) )

I remember one easter mum didn't put our eggs out and when we went outside to look for them we found guts and fur all over the backyard (this was why she didn't put them outside). She told us that my dog had eaten the easter bunny. I was completely terrified, I thought my dog had stopped easter. Turns out the remains were from a possum and a neighborhood cat had probably gotten after it.

I believed in Santa up until the age of 9. Why? Because when I questioned my parents about it years before, my Dad came out with 'What? You think I'd be out there buying all those presents?' And knowing Dad to be such a tightarse, even at that early age, I had to concede he had a point.*

*Obviously Mum was buying all the presents while Dad bitched abou it every year.

Yeah, because charging for petrol per 100ml is bizarre but charging per 900ml is perfectly normal :p

Was never even told, just idiotically always believed no current AFL players or cricketers could die while they were still playing at the highest level. Believed that until John McCarthy passed away, it absolutely shattered me because it wasn't possible. So that removed that illusion, but I still never thought it would ever happen to an Essendon player or one of my favourite cricketers, which again was destroyed by Phillip Hughes. Cruel stuff!

Also was told by my grandma that if you eat the crusts on bread, you will get curly hair so I avoided doing that for a while.

Also used to feel guilty as hell every time I had a wank, I thought it was creepy and I was a bad person for doing it, until I was 15 and I found out all my mates did it, and then that everyone in the year did it. It quickly became a discussion to be had With every other bloke in the year!

Also used to feel guilty as hell every time I had a wank, I thought it was creepy and I was a bad person for doing it, until I was 15 and I found out all my mates did it, and then that everyone in the year did it. It quickly became a discussion to be had With every other bloke in the year!
image.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That a football player wore their home kit when they were at their house and their away kit when they left their house to do something

Think I might've said it ITT but if a player was to miss the rest of the season, I thought that meant they were gonna miss all of, say, Autumn.

That a football player wore their home kit when they were at their house and their away kit when they left their house to do something

Way back when the Crows first started, they were sponsored by a local supermarket called Foodland.

There was a series of ads where Crows players were shopping in the store wearing their full playing kit...

I remember Mum scoffing and saying something like ".. they wouldn't wear their jumpers out and about like that...."

it really confused me, because as an 8 year old I figured if I ever made it to the AFL to play for the Crows I would wear my Crows playing jumper everywhere just so people knew I played for them... haha

edit: - ha! you tube has everything...

When I was about 5 I thought a position on the AFL ladder corresponded to a level at the MCG. But because there were only 3 or 4 levels at the ground, I often thought to myself 'now how is that even possible?'. I still went along with it for a little while. I think that the higher up on the ladder you were, the higher the level. Since we were sitting on the ground level (at the bottom) for most of the time, being a Richmond supporter, this all made perfect sense. :oops:

I was never told this, but when I was 5 I had it made up in my own mind that when North Melbourne lost to the Crows in 1998, that they would never come back. For some reason I thought if you lost the Grand Final it was game over forever!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back