Recommitted Tim English [contracted and staying at the Western Bulldogs]

Remove this Banner Ad

Joose

Club Legend
Jul 23, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
There is a bit of speculation about young Tim over Freo way.
The local rag has run a story about his missus being signed by the local netball team.
Any of you pundits heard anything?

I'm fairly certain that his missus was playing in Brisbane this year with Dunkley's sister and Treloar's wife.
He's a former first round pick and someone we're put a lot of development into so would hate to see him go.

Is this like how Andrew Gaff's girlfriend quit her job?

Very happy with Sean Darcy.

Getting English is duplication.

No thanks.

They play primary in the ruck.
Tim has played more forward than ruck this year, and we're chasing mature ruckmen to continue that set-up

Tim has played more forward than ruck this year, and we're chasing mature ruckmen to continue that set-up
Do you think he is a great forward?

Like Neale and Cripps, it’s the same cost benefit argument from me.

English would want good coin and the Dogs want a set of assets coming back.

It’s paying $1.20 for something that is worth $1.00.

Do you think he is a great forward?

Like Neale and Cripps, it’s the same cost benefit argument from me.

English would want good coin and the Dogs want a set of assets coming back.

It’s paying $1.20 for something that is worth $1.00.
There aren't many good forward / rucks in the competition, and he's contacted for next year.
I'd much rather keep him

English will be untouchable. He's got a couple of years before he matures into a proper player given he didn't grew into his height until his last couple of years as a jr so his development will be a bit behind normal rucks.

English will be untouchable. He's got a couple of years before he matures into a proper player given he didn't grew into his height until his last couple of years as a jr so his development will be a bit behind normal rucks.
I reckon that's optimistic. He's 24 now and looks like he is what he is. An ok forward, ok ruck and therefore very good fwd/ruck. He really is Lobb Mk 2 to me. Nothing wrong with that, those players have value

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon that's optimistic. He's 24 now and looks like he is what he is. An ok forward, ok ruck and therefore very good fwd/ruck. He really is Lobb Mk 2 to me. Nothing wrong with that, those players have value
I fear that you are mainly right although I do also think its fairly over simplified. He may be an "ok" ruck (pretty s**t actually) and an "ok" forward, but he does still offer a lot around the ground that a merely ok ruck or forward couldnt. He is isnt a liability in chains like the generic brand of those players, and does offer a lot in terms of versatility. not saying you didnt say that and not even disagreeing with your point. For me hes more of a justin whestoff, his lack of suitable position may hold him back but he is very useful in many different positions and may be able to fill a lot of holes - including a bit of an untapped potential to play off of half back intercepting too

So you'll discuss it or he will sign an extension?
You can do all the discussing you want, I've heard he will be in WA in 2023 with WCE as the club.
Has literally said he would like to stay long term.

Just this week he said he and his girlfriend have been doing long distance for some time and will continue to do so into the future.

You're throwing WCE our there because his girlfriend just signed on with some west coast netball team and therefore they must be targeting him and he must want to go

So you'll discuss it or he will sign an extension?
You can do all the discussing you want, I've heard he will be in WA in 2023 with WCE as the club.
The Netball season is 4 months long and she played for Brisbane this year IIRC.
Maybe we just need to get him a BFF like Treloar to our Dunkley.

Do any Dogs KNOW what his preferred position is, like inside knowledge know?

Personally feel there might be something with a Lobb/English swap if and only if English has already told the Dogs he plans to head back to WA after his contract ends. Because the trade makes a lot of sense for both teams

Dogs could do a lot worse then trade English for a direct replacement while getting some points for Sam.

He obviously wouldnt want to go to Freo if he wants to be a number 1 ruck though because Darcy has him covered in that role.

Do any Dogs KNOW what his preferred position is, like inside knowledge know?

Personally feel there might be something with a Lobb/English swap if and only if English has already told the Dogs he plans to head back to WA after his contract ends. Because the trade makes a lot of sense for both teams

Dogs could do a lot worse then trade English for a direct replacement while getting some points for Sam.

He obviously wouldnt want to go to Freo if he wants to be a number 1 ruck though because Darcy has him covered in that role.
If we were swapping for Lobb, we'd want to be getting something seriously good along with him (like a 1st in 2022, not just points). Lobb is 29 next year, and English is already a better player.

If we were swapping for Lobb, we'd want to be getting something seriously good along with him (like a 1st in 2022, not just points). Lobb is 29 next year, and English is already a better player.
What do you think English is worth if uncontracted? I'd have him about pick 10 because I see him as good fwd/ruck and dont think he'll ever be elite. Hard to value though

I also think they are pretty similar players in output personally. Lobb a better forward and English better around the ground. I'm pretty confident Lobb would have more output in your forwardline then English would/does

Depends on your metric.
Lobb has more scoreboard impact, Marks etc. (on a per game basis)
English has more hitouts, clearances and possessions.
So Lobb as a Fwd/Ruc is better, English as a Ruc/Fwd is better

What do you think English is worth if uncontracted? I'd have him about pick 10 because I see him as good fwd/ruck and dont think he'll ever be elite. Hard to value though

I also think they are pretty similar players in output personally. Lobb a better forward and English better around the ground. I'm pretty confident Lobb would have more output in your forwardline then English would
Value-wise, Pick 10 sounds about right, although his value to the Dogs is far higher.

I'm not convinced Lobb is any better up forward. English is a 40+ goal per year player when playing up forward (was on track before Martin went down and he had to move back to the ruck).

Lobb's biggest return at Freo was this year, where he's kicked 20.19. His career best was 29 goals back in 2016.

English still has room for improvement, and even if he didn't, he's still a better player than Lobb. I'm not saying Lobb is a bad player, just that his value is significantly lower than English. Especially when you consider the size of his contract over the next 2 years

Depends on your metric.
Lobb has more scoreboard impact, Marks etc. (on a per game basis)
English has more hitouts, clearances and possessions.
So Lobb as a Fwd/Ruc is better, English as a Ruc/Fwd is better

You can't really compare on a pure stats basis given English's role changed from Round 6/7 onwards. I don't agree that Lobb is a better forward/ruck at all

Remove this Banner Ad

Back