Tippa is returning in 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Good. Hopefully he has his body right because if it wasn't for injuries Kurt Tippett could have been anything

Forgot to attach this.

Just what the new coach / fans need.
Hope he can be footy fit asap.

afl dons GIF by Essendon FC

Says a lot about the culture at Essendon that a bloke that clearly couldn't meet the standards it takes to be an AFL player is able to walk straight back in the door no questions asked.
Says a lot about you that you don’t factor in his mental health issues that were well documented last year and the grind he went through to get on a playing list in the first place.

I like Tippa. He was great to watch. Pretty much the only player i liked to see do well when watching Bombre games. Good player to watch, at his best.

But it pretty clearly seemed like he wanted to go to Freo, but Freo had enough concerns to only offer him a train-on spot.

Essendon, needing a positive story to once again try to win over fans, offered him a 1 year contract, regardless of his history and regardless of his preferment to be elsewhere.

And yes, i'm well aware he will now be publicly saying he's rapt to be back at The Hangar.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Says a lot about the culture at Essendon that a bloke that clearly couldn't meet the standards it takes to be an AFL player is able to walk straight back in the door no questions asked.
He’s been training for months. There’s been a prolonged period of conversations and training, as well as demonstrated changes to his lifestyle driving confidence that for him, things are back as they were with confidence required standards will be adhered to. Its a one year deal, so not too much risk in any case. It’s a good news story. Good for Essendon, it’s fans and the game broadly.

I like Tippa. He was great to watch. Pretty much the only player i liked to see do well when watching Bombre games. Good player to watch, at his best.

But it pretty clearly seemed like he wanted to go to Freo, but Freo had enough concerns to only offer him a train-on spot.

Essendon, needing a positive story to once again try to win over fans, offered him a 1 year contract, regardless of his history and regardless of his preferment to be elsewhere.

And yes, i'm well aware he will now be publicly saying he's rapt to be back at The Hangar.
Thsts not how it works. Thsts a cynics view. I’m sure you’re taking the kids honestly believing the Club would just bring him in for a sugar hit to fans.

He was a 35 goal a season forward. Essendon clearly lack a small pressure forward to cover a list gap between now and emergence of Daveys.

His life has been reset along the lines of where things were pre 2022. He’s been back training for months and been in extended dialogue with club.

There’s no risk, he won’t be taking a list spot of anyone better than him and he will be a terrific mentor for the indigenous boys about to arrive. It can only be a good result, at low risk with little to lose.

Risk of a BF pile on... Come at me!
How does he bypass the draft?

No, I don't know how the system works.
Retirements aren't official until the final list lodgement deadline prior to the draft. Or that's what I've gathered.

So he has basically just cancelled his initial retirement announcement, he never 'officially' left the list.

Thsts not how it works. Thsts a cynics view. I’m sure you’re taking the kids honestly believing the Club would just bring him in for a sugar hit to fans.

He was a 35 goal a season forward. Essendon clearly lack a small pressure forward to cover a list gap between now and emergence of Daveys.

His life has been reset along the lines of where things were pre 2022. He’s been back training for months and been in extended dialogue with club.

There’s no risk, he won’t be taking a list spot of anyone better than him and he will be a terrific mentor for the indigenous boys about to arrive. It can only be a good result, at low risk with little to lose.
Career resurrection.
Who doesn't like a resurrection story? Good for the soul. Hope it goes well.

One small complication which I think the AFL must have had to address is the midseason draft. Essendon picked up 2 players in the midseason draft (D'Ambrosio and Menzie) including with one list spot opened up by his retirement that eventually wasn't, they otherwise would have only had 1 pick. It's an unusual circumstance and you would strongly assume this wasn't the aim from Essendon in the first place, but such a thing does comprise the MSD a little.

One small complication which I think the AFL must have had to address is the midseason draft. Essendon picked up 2 players in the midseason draft (D'Ambrosio and Menzie) including with one list spot opened up by his retirement that eventually wasn't, they otherwise would have only had 1 pick. It's an unusual circumstance and you would strongly assume this wasn't the aim from Essendon in the first place, but such a thing does comprise the MSD a little.
Tippa didn’t play all year, it doesn’t compromise the msd at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back