Recommitted Tom De Koning [Signed until 2025]

Remove this Banner Ad

If he left 5 million on the table id say the deal was 6 mill over 8 years from Sydney

Probably get 1.2 mill over the next 2 at carlton
anyone actually believe he left that much cash to stay??

hes not a rookie, he been in the system for 5 years and hasnt yet cemented a week in week out spot. Who in their right mind in that scenario forgo 5 mill?!?! lol

anyone actually believe he left that much cash to stay??

hes not a rookie, he been in the system for 5 years and hasnt yet cemented a week in week out spot. Who in their right mind in that scenario forgo 5 mill?!?! lol
People get too caught up in what 200cm athletic talls have done in their first 5-7 years

And not what theyre projecting to be in the next 5-7

I believe it

I believe Sydney offersd 6 mill over 8 years. 750k a year

Instead hes staying for 600k a year over the next 2 with the likelyhood hes worth even more in 2 years time than what the 750k a year figure suggest.

I dont think its outlandish. The CBA wouldve drastically increased over the next 8 years

People get too caught up in what 200cm athletic talls have done in their first 5-7 years

And not what theyre projecting to be in the next 5-7

I believe it

I believe Sydney offersd 6 mill over 8 years. 750k a year

Instead hes staying for 600k a year over the next 2 with the likelyhood hes worth even more in 2 years time than what the 750k a year figure suggest.

I dont think its outlandish. The CBA wouldve drastically increased over the next 8 years
Agreed, people seem to forget the Bulldogs giving Boyd a million a year for a 7 years entirely based on potential. He'd played 15 games or about that? List managers love a tall athletic prospect and history is littered with examples of clubs throwing outlandish cash at KPP players regardless of what they've produced so far.

Agreed, people seem to forget the Bulldogs giving Boyd a million a year for a 7 years entirely based on potential. He'd played 15 games or about that? List managers love a tall athletic prospect and history is littered with examples of clubs throwing outlandish cash at KPP players regardless of what they've produced so far.
Its as if part of a list managers role is to predict what players will do in the future

If true, whatever club offered that is moronic
No doubt it was The Swans
Was going to say Swans. Supposedly offered him $850k.
6 years × $850k is roughly $5m. Young enough that 6 years isn't absurd, but the coin at this point is questionable. Shown enough to say that he has the potential to be elite, but hasn't quite pieced it all together yet.

Last edited:
Was going to say Swans. Supposedly offered him $850k.
6 years × $850k is roughly $5m. Young enough that 6 years isn't absurd, but the coin at this point is questionable. Shown enough to say that he has the potential to be elite, bit hasn't quite pieced it all together yet.
You honestly believe that

You honestly believe that
I have a level of confidence in the source. At the end of the day, it's just conjecture, but when a couple of different sources have stories that can align, there's a fair chance there's some truth to it.
Feel free to disregard it though. Nobody's forcing you to believe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tom Boyd had one year of AFL footy to his name at that point, and had been highly enough rated to be the number one draft pick. So while the projection proved to be folly, it was more understandable than thinking a guy six years into his career is suddenly going to become a star when he’s yet shown no signs of it.

And a ruckman, to boot. At least, I think that’s what De Koning is. He’s no English or Darcy or even Jackson at this point of his career.

I have no idea if there’s any truth to the stories of what the Swans offered him. But I’d be aghast if they are true.

Absolutely!!
So you have the cash now to re-sign big Jonny Ceglar, Stanley and Blicavs for another couple of years before they receive their Seniors Cards :thumbsu:
I'd rather the shambling reanimated corpse of Rhys Stanley 2 years from now than a guy getting 5 disposals and 2 marks for 600k a year

Cats dodged a bullet here
My gut feel was there was alot of posturing from his management to try and get geelong to up the dollars and the cats went into a standoff saying “here is the price” and carlton ended up paying up more.

We set limits and wont budge over it with players. We have a very balanced cheque book. If players want to come to us its for the country or coastal lifestyle, not for a payday.

Tommy is a beast and made for the big stage. It’s all beginning to come together for him.

Swans, Saints, Cats, you were on the money offering this guy big $$ over many years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back