Toast Tom Stewart - Gun Footballer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Fumbly and a plodder I think he was called last year...:rolleyes:

Was enormous last year.
Did it again today. Under pressure keeps the ball in front of him at pace and does not relent. Tackles hard, reads the play comes off his man when needed and stands in the hole at other times. And very nearly pulled a MOTY nomination. Deceptively quick and has that Scarlo "* you" look to him out there.

More Wells gold in the 40's.

Could not be happier with his efforts - in his 2nd year - and having seen what the Demons paid for Lever who also excels in the 3rd man/loose man role. I know who got the better cost basis. Granted, Lever is younger and taller.

Still, the #44 appears to be in very very good hands.

GO Catters

Wells gets a mixed reception on here these days. I still think he has plenty going for him overall.

But surely Stewart can already be seen as nothing other than a massive win for our recruiting team.

Plays like a seasoned veteran with multiple years in the AFL system after one season at the top level. With the prospect of plenty of solid seasons on our backline to come.

And all this from a P40 in a hardly star-studded draft pool.

I think the real measure of Stewart might now be that surely every other club is now saying to themselves, 'what were we thinking?'

Loving the continuity of quality in the #44 as well.

More. Wells. Gold.

Needs a big finals series to prove himself after last year.
Well throw a blanket over all but maybe Motlop with that statement.

In other news, water is still wet and the sky is still blue.

GO Catters

Wasn't it Scarlett who suggested him? Not necessarily a Wells find. Great find nevertheless..

When a "Wells find" is used .. its not like Wells is out there in a trenchcoat and sunglasses , sneaking around spotting guys , sending info back to the club using a Jefferson wheel... Most players are spotted by others ,info is passed on , the RD then study , they collect the data ..but in the end its Wells who has the final say..to call this name over that name to put one guy ahead of another. What pick is the one to use.. is 40 too early , or too late.

My guess would be that Wells has probably had that many tips that he has ignored ..its being able to separate the wheat from the chaff. Scarlett become aware of him thru his time at South Barwon and passed the info on. .. but thats quite often the way. Kelly>Egan Guthrie >Blitz..im sure there are others as well. To some degree its rather incestuous . Have a look at our development list . We have Fraser House and Curtis McCarthy.

So the club decided to bring him into our VFL and from there he is exposed to all clubs. Just like with Scott Thompson.. its not like we have auto dibs on him .

To me Wells has renovated our side Moneyball style .. menegola , stewart , kelly , henry , zguthrie and parfit. We could have a lot worse side with more earlier picks..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When a "Wells find" is used .. its not like Wells is out there in a trenchcoat and sunglasses , sneaking around spotting guys , sending info back to the club using a Jefferson wheel... Most players are spotted by others ,info is passed on , the RD then study , they collect the data ..but in the end its Wells who has the final say..to call this name over that name to put one guy ahead of another. What pick is the one to use.. is 40 too early , or too late.

My guess would be that Wells has probably had that many tips that he has ignored ..its being able to separate the wheat from the chaff. Scarlett become aware of him thru his time at South Barwon and passed the info on. .. but thats quite often the way. Kelly>Egan Guthrie >Blitz..im sure there are others as well. To some degree its rather incestuous . Have a look at our development list . We have Fraser House and Curtis McCarthy.

So the club decided to bring him into our VFL and from there he is exposed to all clubs. Just like with Scott Thompson.. its not like we have auto dibs on him .

To me Wells has renovated our side Moneyball style .. menegola , stewart , kelly , henry , zguthrie and parfit. We could have a lot worse side with more earlier picks..
Right back when I was playing school footy a parent would ask a Geelong player to attend a game to assess a talented kid and pass on info to the club if appropriate.That was often first port of call.

Right back when I was playing school footy a parent would ask a Geelong player to attend a game to assess a talented kid and pass on info to the club if appropriate.That was often first port of call.

Of course it can be done even more fundamentally these days. Even going back to Rooke sending vid to clubs... To a certain degree though all the clubs rely on a filtering system .. each level has its own interests served by finding the best they can .. so while you may find some kids drafted from tac only ..a higher percentage are picked for rep footy.. and while you may get the odd player from South Barwon... competitive pressures mean that there is more talent to look at within VFL.. etc. Even locally more taken from GFL than GDFL etc.

With Taylor out he has been the general of our defense. His skills may not be perfect but his will and intent to be involved in the contests are next to none and his confidence must be through the roof. In our current 22 avaliable he is our most valuable in my opinion, and losing him would probably be too much for our defense. The growth from round 1 2017 to now is massive and at pick #40 is a steal.

There was an article on the Cats website about Stewart & Parfitt.

I loved seeing this line on Stewart:
“Stewart is currently ranked fifth in the AFL for rebounds from 50 alongside All Australians Heath Shaw, Michael Hurley, Rory Laird and Kade Simpson.”

Fantastic start to the year by him!

I remember so many of you complaining on draft night #40 was a reach for a vfl player, i tried to tell you all it would be worth it.

I loved the way we approached the draft that year. With picks 68 and 69 rather than attempting a Hail Mary we opted for safer bets in the mature aged House and Abbott. Then we took our punts in the rookie draft on highly speculative, underdeveloped but talented Henry, Zuthrie, Jones and Simpson.

There was an article on the Cats website about Stewart & Parfitt.

I loved seeing this line on Stewart:
“Stewart is currently ranked fifth in the AFL for rebounds from 50 alongside All Australians Heath Shaw, Michael Hurley, Rory Laird and Kade Simpson.”

Fantastic start to the year by him!
He had a very good debut year and has taken his game up a notch in Year 2. Keep this up and he will be talked about as possible AA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back