Toast Tom Stewart - Gun Footballer.

Remove this Banner Ad

He's improving every game. Been super impressive the past few weeks. Has settled nicely and knocked the silly mistakes out of his game he showed early on ( understandable in his first few games ). Just always seems to do the right thing at the right time now. Had some beautiful pin point passes to a man in a damaging position which created a few fast breaks. Game awareness is very good.

He's improving every game. Been super impressive the past few weeks. Has settled nicely and knocked the silly mistakes out of his game he showed early on ( understandable in his first few games ). Just always seems to do the right thing at the right time now. Had some beautiful pin point passes to a man in a damaging position which created a few fast breaks. Game awareness is very good.
Yep his foot skills delivering perfectly to someone in a good position-really impressive.
And turned 24 recently-years ahead of him.its great.

Great Thread. All those Stewart doubters and especially those ridiculous haters, give yourself an uppercut, take the weeks early plea and give yourself a week off. Love your work Stewy

He shows us every now and then what he's capable of, like the Crows game. However, he's still a developing player with only a few AFL games under his belt so far. Even though he's a mature age recruit, I expect to see some inconsistency in his game for a while yet. So while it's great people are applauding him for his good game against the crows, remember he may still have games where he'll be fairly average ahead of him. It's part of his development, so don't go potting him just because he suddenly has a slip in form or is beaten by his opponents in a future game.

Wells has done it again... #McCain

Credit in this situation should probably go to Scarlo - he was the one who encouraged Stewart that if he was serious about his football to try out for the VFL and then also spoke highly of him at the club.

Credit in this situation should probably go to Scarlo - he was the one who encouraged Stewart that if he was serious about his football to try out for the VFL and then also spoke highly of him at the club.
No. Credit goes to Scarlo for encouraging him to give professional football a go. Wells deserves full credit for selecting him at the national draft with pick 40. If Wells stuffed it up he's the one that would be copping s**t for it, not Scarlo. It needs to go both ways IMO.

I reckon credit to all. Maybe because Scarlo recommended him he is committed to helping him improve. But Stewart has had to put the work in. He was very good in the VFL last year but to step up to AFL level and perform like that is huge. You could see in his body language that he feels like he belongs.

I must admit while I liked him in the 2s last year, and didn't think he was as bad as some in the practice matches i was concerned a few weeks in if he could step up to the level.

Reckon a turning point was the Saints game, had a shocker 1st half, 2nd half he was good and has continued on from there... and from there was him starting to play the game he did at VFL level, leaving his man when needed, good ball use etc etc.

Do any draft guru's know what his story was as a teen? Was he in the Falcons system or a bit of a rat bag? Seems a super bolter to go Sth Barwon -> Geelong VFL -> Geelong AFL in a few years out of the blue without showing the signs as a kid...

Do any draft guru's know what his story was as a teen? Was he in the Falcons system or a bit of a rat bag? Seems a super bolter to go Sth Barwon -> Geelong VFL -> Geelong AFL in a few years out of the blue without showing the signs as a kid...

Would be interesting, I've looked through google and been unable to find anything.

He's already got 3 premiership medals on his shelf. He won an ACC premiership with Joeys in 2010. Then the GFL with South Barwon in 2012 and 2013.

http://www.accmelb.com.au/and-tom-makes-7/
http://www.krockfootball.com.au/vfl-news/stewarts-scarlett-fever-vindicated/

Here's a pic for Where's Wally fans.

upload_2017-6-4_2-33-37.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This guy's upside is huge, there's very little lacking in his game.

That was just one of at least 3 superb, precision long passes on Saturday.
He has as much footy nous as anyone in the team, he really does know where to go and when to go; he is definitely reminiscent of Scarlett in those respects.

That was just one of at least 3 superb, precision long passes on Saturday.
He has as much footy nous as anyone in the team, he really does know where to go and when to go; he is definitely reminiscent of Scarlett in those respects.
One thing I have noticed, is not only does he know when to go, he knows how to time when he goes... which may sound like an obvious thing, but he can go and flick a switch it seems to put some serious pace on when he needs.
The ability to hit a target whilst moving at top speed is such an underrated skill... he is brilliant at it.

what a bloody find, I took my old man to the footy on the weekend, he loves Stewart, in his words "he looks like he has been out there for years doesn't he"

One thing I have noticed, is not only does he know when to go, he knows how to time when he goes... which may sound like an obvious thing, but he can go and flick a switch it seems to put some serious pace on when he needs.
The ability to hit a target whilst moving at top speed is such an underrated skill... he is brilliant at it.

what a bloody find, I took my old man to the footy on the weekend, he loves Stewart, in his words "he looks like he has been out there for years doesn't he"

Compare it to his first couple of games... he now must feel more comfortable..he does look integral to on going backline.

What a win getting this guy. Going to be a fixture for a long time.

A touch of class in his game.

Considering when Wells dropped the hammer at 40 some questioned if it was too early or if he was worth recruitment. ... we may be pushing the boundaries of the norm at the moment with so many current best 22 being late-ish picks but if they play as well as a R1 pick then there is no issue.

Considering when Wells dropped the hammer at 40 some questioned if it was too early or if he was worth recruitment. ... we may be pushing the boundaries of the norm at the moment with so many current best 22 being late-ish picks but if they play as well as a R1 pick then there is no issue.
and an interesting thing a VFL coach I know said to me draft night.. Stewart is a Gun, and then when House was drafted "and this bloke is even better"

may not work out that way, but he is young enough to still have an impact... imagine if we nailed 2 picks like that

Remove this Banner Ad

Back