List Mgmt. Trade and F/A 2020 Cont’d

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at our back-line make up, I wonder if there is a genuine small-lock-down defender we can pick up to bring Maynard into the midfield? Looking at our back-line we have a good group of rebound defenders and users out of the back half, Crisp, Noble with his dash (hopefully something we see more of), IQ and then Moore and Howe who are both very good users and distributors themselves.

I think a genuine small-medium defender who compliments Roughy as the two lock-down players, among guys who are capable of attacking off half back wouldn't make us too slow (or slower than we already are), and adding Maynard into the middle would help our clearances and contested numbers, as well as his kicking might be better utilized. His kicking has improved greatly so he can hit up lead up targets pretty well, and his long range kicking could be used to move the ball i50 quicker or to get over zone defenses, and give Elliot, Cox and JDG more one on one contests.

I'd be disappointed if we picked up a 30 year old role player. The main positive about next year is that we're likely to see a fair few kids get opportunities and it's good to watch their development.

You would Hope So

Looking at our back-line make up, I wonder if there is a genuine small-lock-down defender we can pick up to bring Maynard into the midfield? Looking at our back-line we have a good group of rebound defenders and users out of the back half, Crisp, Noble with his dash (hopefully something we see more of), IQ and then Moore and Howe who are both very good users and distributors themselves.

I think a genuine small-medium defender who compliments Roughy as the two lock-down players, among guys who are capable of attacking off half back wouldn't make us too slow (or slower than we already are), and adding Maynard into the middle would help our clearances and contested numbers, as well as his kicking might be better utilized. His kicking has improved greatly so he can hit up lead up targets pretty well, and his long range kicking could be used to move the ball i50 quicker or to get over zone defenses, and give Elliot, Cox and JDG more one on one contests.
I reckon we've already got the bloke you want. I think Madgen can play a role on most players and release Maynard if we want to go that way.

There seems to be a lot of people hellbent on bringing Maynard into the middle. What are we basing the fact on that he can even play in the midfield?, he's never played there and I doubt he can come into the middle next year and just dominate, he is best where he is playing now, we would be better off giving daicos and IQ time in the middle to develop for the future

I would really like to get Quinton Narkle, still not signed at Geelong, would be great to get him as a DFA

There seems to be a lot of people hellbent on bringing Maynard into the middle. What are we basing the fact on that he can even play in the midfield?, he's never played there and I doubt he can come into the middle next year and just dominate, he is best where he is playing now, we would be better off giving daicos and IQ time in the middle to develop for the future

For me it stems from his size and power, add that to his strength in the contest it makes me (and obviously a few others) think he could be a quality contested mid. A small defender is traditionally a lot easier to find and cost a lot less than a quality contested mid. Bringing in a small defender and using Maynard through the middle would have far more upside than leaving Maynard down back and rolling the dice on DFA or backing in a Wills type. I will say though if they are prepared to back in Sier, Tyler Brown and Rantall for a full season in the guts then I am more than comfortable to leave Maynard in the back 6 if they're developing young talent like that.

The two you suggested being Daicos and IQ, Daic's has clearly made that wing role his own and I can't see him moving from that. Not sure he will ever get to the size needed to be a gun inside mid, however I'm good with him being a fine wingman for us for years to come.
IQ is a bit like Maynard in terms of your own opinion, we've not seen him in the middle so what makes you confident he would be a better midfield prospect than Bruz? Not saying you're wrong, but my personal opinion is I think Maynard would be more prepared to be a starting mid for us in 2021 compared to IQ.

Again though if they've decided that, like I said before with Sier/Brown/Rantall, they want to develop IQ as a full time mid - then go for it I would have no problems with him then playing in the middle and Maynard staying in defense if the clubs felt like IQ as a midfielder is the future of the club.

If blokes are doing well on the flanks and have the attributes to succeed in the more important midfield roles, at some stage you've got to have a look and see how they go there. Same with Moore and KPF - at some stage, you've got to revisit that and see if the mature bodied Moore can offer more up forward than at CHB.

Big Footy posters: “We don’t play the kids enough!”

Also Big Footy posters: “Let’s recruit 30 year old delisted free agents who play a role we have kids developing in!”

He did actually play a couple of impressive games in the middle towards the end of 2017, and at one stage I’m sure he seemed to be being groomed for a role in the guts, but then they never actually moved him. I’m sure he could be good in there, but he’s become so good at the role he plays in defence now that I’d be loathe to move him tbh. He should have been AA this year.

He did actually play a couple of impressive games in the middle towards the end of 2017, and at one stage I’m sure he seemed to be being groomed for a role in the guts, but then they never actually moved him. I’m sure he could be good in there, but he’s become so good at the role he plays in defence now that I’d be loathe to move him tbh. He should have been AA this year.
I remember that well ,he was awesome in there i think he would be a great mid.

I reckon we've already got the bloke you want. I think Madgen can play a role on most players and release Maynard if we want to go that way.

I wouldn't trust Madgen on small forwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ripped it up vs Melbourne one year from memory.

Yep. And his delivery inside 50 playing the role was elite.

We would need an excellent defender to replace Maynard to allow it. I think there are a few on the Adelaide list that could be worth a crack. Lairds a restricted free agent next year for example. It's a different way to approach boosting our midfield.

So first list lodgement is Wednesday. Hopefully we actually get official announcements of re-signings and delistings of the remaining out of contract players tonight or tomorrow.

If we assume Beams will remain officially on the list next year, and if we assume that no further delistings happen (ie all out of contract players are re-signed) and all three of Mihocek/Madgen/Appleby will be promoted (which is a requirement if they are to be re-signed), we go into the draft with 34 senior-listed players, 2 Cat A rookies and 2 Cat B rookies.

If we maintain the same list strategy of maximising the rookie count for salary cap purposes under the new list sizes, it means we can draft two players in the national draft, four players in the rookie draft and we are at the maximum capacity for Cat Bs.

I think it's reasonably likely we'll delist one or two players and commit to picking them up in the rookie draft in order to take more than two players in the national draft. This could be a veteran like Greenwood or we could come to an arrangement to rookie-list Beams. Not to mention rookie-listing a potential DFA.

Of course, we could do absolutely none of the above and it's just me talking out of my rear end.

Beams retired why is he on the list ? His money yes why he need to take a spot tho

Because he still has a Contract at the Club

Having a contract doesn’t stop you from being delisted.

He will get delisted at some point. If he isn’t then he either hasn’t agreed to terms, or Collingwood can’t afford cap room to recruit a player to replace him and are forced to leave him listed.

Yeah we might need to rookie him so that $80k or so of his payout is outside the cap, seeing as the AFL gave zero *s about getting his settlement done.

Beams retired why is he on the list ? His money yes why he need to take a spot tho

If his payout is included in the cap next year it likely means he's officially on the playing list, but inactive. If a player is receiving payment from the club, they must officially be listed by the club.

Given the AFL has rejected our request to include the money outside the cap I think the wisest thing would be to move Beams to the rookie list so that $80,000 of his payout is not included in the cap. I believe this is more or less what happened with the Swans and Tippett.

You don't like the outcome but you're only guessing the club doesn't think it's a good outcome they've divested themselves of these players. They were all clearly targeted for a reason.
Most the club are in damage control. Guy, Anderson and Walsh are clearly covering someone. Maybe themselves or ed.

Even Buckley on sen says we didn't get trade value.

Just to help you, for treloar we used 2 x picks 7 for him and a second round pick. Really all we got in return for him is a second round future pick.

Stephenson, pick 6, 3 season and a rising star welter we got a packet of chips for him.

Phillips, a 3rd round pick, pick 60 odd for A proven best 22 player. The same player our club see fit to pay in excess of half a million.

If the club are happy with that they are incompetent.

If his payout is included in the cap next year it likely means he's officially on the playing list, but inactive. If a player is receiving payment from the club, they must officially be listed by the club.

Given the AFL has rejected our request to include the money outside the cap I think the wisest thing would be to move Beams to the rookie list so that $80,000 of his payout is not included in the cap. I believe this is more or less what happened with the Swans and Tippett.

That would be a very good idea. Any money outside the cap, the better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back