List Mgmt. Trade and F/A - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pity we never got to see Stephen Michael in the AFL. Best player ever not to play a single game. Best player ever in Western Australia. Ask anyone from WA they say the same thing. Freak
Lots of boys simply don't want to come over to the AFL - they have their own culture over there.

Midfield is my biggest concern, but if a couple of Reef, N. Daicos, and McRae come good, it could turn, particularly if JDG becomes reliable.

Yeah you're not wrong. I'm taking a positive view with it and really it could go either way. I think with Adams, Crisp, De Goey, Josh Daicos there is a core there. I'm hopeful WHE can maintain his form on the wing. Then we have Nick Daicos, Macrae, McInnes, Poulter and Bianco who I like the look of developing. It needs to go right but there's some redundancy there also. And that's without discussing free agents.

Carey suggested Cox to NM to provide short term forward support/depth for Larkey, Edwards and co whilst they develop.

Not the worse idea, but NM this year only have picks 1, 20, 38, 66

I would love to get pick 38 for Cox plus Magden... or their choice of one of young Ruscoe or Wilson.

... but sense north in their right mind won’t want to pay that

and their pick 66 is only worth an additional 80 draft points for Daicos

Maybe Cox and our pick 47 for NM pick 38? Gives us 149 more draft points

I'd pay to get rid of Madgen just so we don't have to play him anymore.

I would try do a Cox and picks 47 plus 76 for pick 38 and 66 from NM. Our picks would be used on Daicos bid so the 47 would become 44 and 76 will become 71 for North. A 6 pick downgrade in the 3rd round plus a 5 pick downgrade in the 4th would not be much. This would give us an extra 230 points for Daicos.

Of course, North could just pick up Cox for nothing in the PSD. Maybe we sweeten it but doing a downgrade of our future third round pick to their 4th round.

Cox will have a few suitors.

Wouldn't be surprised if the Suns got on the phone actually, as they need both a decent backup for Witts and someone to help take a bit of attention off King who unlike Sam Day isn't injured every second week.

Carey suggested Cox to NM to provide short term forward support/depth for Larkey, Edwards and co whilst they develop.

I would love to get pick 38 for Cox plus Magden... or their choice of one of young Ruscoe or Wilson.

Cox for Stephenson straight swap...😎

Grundy DeGoey, overpaid and overrated. Jordan had a great game but cannot string together good games. Half of Grundys taps are to the opposition.
It does not matter if you disagree, I know what I see with my own eyes.
Two thirds of all ruckmans taps go to the opposition. If only half Grundys are then he’s actually doing pretty well.

Or even De Goey. Get rid of him and Grundy. Bring in 4 young blood. Free the cap while we rebuild.
have agreed for years. dont care what stats say, grundy often taps straight to opposition mids, resulting in an easy clearance. Dont see it with any other ruckman in the league

I'd pay to get rid of Madgen just so we don't have to play him anymore.

I would try do a Cox and picks 47 plus 76 for pick 38 and 66 from NM. Our picks would be used on Daicos bid so the 47 would become 44 and 76 will become 71 for North. A 6 pick downgrade in the 3rd round plus a 5 pick downgrade in the 4th would not be much. This would give us an extra 230 points for Daicos.

Of course, North could just pick up Cox for nothing in the PSD. Maybe we sweeten it but doing a downgrade of our future third round pick to their 4th round.
North would use a selection in the PSD on a gun player that the original club is playing hardball with during the trade period, for instance GWS matching an offer on Josh Kelly, rather than a 30 year old that is worth a fourth rounder. We're not going to be difficult about a trade for Cox.

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm assuming Merrett is still unsigned...

Also, I can't see how people expect Thomas to be delisted. He has played most games this year. Whilst yes we would probably like to see him squeezed out of the best 22, it's not often you see someone in the team each week just thrown away for nothing.

I mean we could essentially replace his spot with Billings 😂

I reckon best would be to do the following:

Out: Cox, 2022 Future second round pick
In: Pick 20

We could shuffle some later picks too.

Ultimately that would pretty much give us almost all the points we should need for Daicos.

Whether North would be keen to do that given they don’t have another low pick and they are rebuilding would be questionable though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also, I can't see how people expect Thomas to be delisted. He has played most games this year. Whilst yes we would probably like to see him squeezed out of the best 22, it's not often you see someone in the team each week just thrown away for nothing.

Played virtually every game as a forward for a return of 3 goals…

We have put all our eggs (picks) in the N Daicos Basket, we have nothing to offer to other clubs. If he was a FA then 100% we should be chasing him.
But thats not entirely correct. Daicos is the priority but if the aspiration to land a KPF is strong enough, which I hope it would be, then you need to find a way via trades / picks.

I think the tigers are ripe for the picking as they have quality players not getting games consistently such as CCJ and Chol. AI nothing else we might drive up the players asking salary

Trade Grundy to Port or Adelaide. A first and second rounder. Two firsts if possible.
Ruckman are overrated as I have said before. Lynch has held his own.

That opportunity is gone, unless we were prepared to pay 1/2 his contract for the next 7 seasons. I agree with you, that ruckman are over rated. You just need someone who is competitive and can provide a contested marking target. Lynch on a very small sample size has shown he may potentially be able to do just that.

But no one will pick up Grundy due to the size of his salary and length of contract. End of story

Is the humour because you’ve always been on the Billings bandwagon and he’s finally gettable? Or because people no longer rate him? In a “moneyball” sense he’s the MVP on the market currently for us. St Kilda can’t afford to keep him because of the Hill, Crouch and Hannebery deals plus he’s the perfect replacement for Steele.

have agreed for years. dont care what stats say, grundy often taps straight to opposition mids, resulting in an easy clearance. Dont see it with any other ruckman in the league

Yet they all do it as well.

Cox to NM we could basically trade him for nothing ideally with an under the table side agreement that they don’t bid on Daicos with pick 1.
Just what the Club needs…a Draft tampering investigation, resulting in fines & lost future draft picks.
I can see Caro & Robbo now…

That opportunity is gone, unless we were prepared to pay 1/2 his contract for the next 7 seasons. I agree with you, that ruckman are over rated. You just need someone who is competitive and can provide a contested marking target. Lynch on a very small sample size has shown he may potentially be able to do just that.

But no one will pick up Grundy due to the size of his salary and length of contract. End of story

It’s a fantastic advertisement for not bowing to public pressure. Holding firm on Grundy and saying it’s $3.5m over 5 years and seeing him walk post 2020 would have been a bitter pill to swallow for the fans, but the ultimate result of that deal was the suppository we received on Stephenson and Treloar! Take your pick.

We’ll be past the 2020 trade period as early as next year if we can add some pace this off-season, but we were in the ring against Tyson with one arm tied behind our back last year because of that deal which no one will now touch. I like him in a general and football sense, but that was the time to sit him and his management down and say money or premierships what means more to you?

We need to start having those hard conversations before they’re forced on us.

Weid has had a very average Fortnite for sure and I expect him to get dropped. Saying that I think he's still worth a crack and his form is making him a much cheaper pick, perhaps a 3rd or 4th rounder.

The way Melbourne play, I'm not sure they've even got room for another tall beyond Tom Mac. They look to spoke chaos ball and kids hitting the score board.

If Grundy is tapping to opposition mids, maybe it's our mids who are out of position. It shows that the opposition are doing their research on Grundy, while our mids aren't.
I find it hard to believe that it is one player who is constantly wrong and not the rotating 10-12 around him.
Not impossible though.

If Grundy is tapping to opposition mids, maybe it's our mids who are out of position. It shows that the opposition are doing their research on Grundy, while our mids aren't.
I find it hard to believe that it is one player who is constantly wrong and not the rotating 10-12 around him.
Not impossible though.

I think we try to over analyse it. Those clearance situations (much like ruck contests) now are more of a wrestle than a pure footy contest these days. When I first started watching footy the very best mids were those who could read the flight of the ball off the contest. Didn't guarantee they'd win it every time, but gave them a really good head start. Now not only do they need to have that skill, but they need to best an opposition player in a wrestle to get there. I don't think we wrestle well.

Might also be a factor of the type of midfielder we have. Again the very best hit the footy off the contest with momentum. Pendles, JDG, Adams, and Elliott our best players for doing that. But Pendles is just about the worst wrestler of our midfield group so is often negated, Adams has been injured, and Elliott and JDG are only bit players in the midfield. From what little I've seen of him to date, McInnes will greatly improve that for us.

It's a bit off subject, but a mate of mine played wing along side Greg Williams here in the Bendigo league. Was becoming frustrated that he'd find space and Williams would always ignore him for another option. Asked Williams about it and was told he was generally too close to the contest. Got another 5+ meters away and sure enough those bullet handballs would come sizzling out of the contest, hitting him lace out without breaking stride.

While there is no denying his talent, I was never a huge fan of Williams, but sometimes a short fat slow guy is just what you need if they can get their hands on the footy and dole it out to those that should have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back