List Mgmt. Trade and F/A - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
200.gif
Rory is the doppelganger for Marty McFly's Dad...
Not sure who Biff, or the Professor is at this point. But.
I'm pretty sure Marty is Alan Didak....

How many?

If he accepted $300k yeah he would be taken for depth I suspect. But $300k-$350kpa for 1 yr or 2 gives you an idea about how well he is rated in the market.

He offered to get payed less this year. What makes you think he wouldn't be prepared to stay for less?

Article on the HS website: Disturbing if true about our salary cap that we cannot afford a VFL player

DEMONS AIM TO KEEP THEIR HOOKS IN WEIDEMAN
JON RALPH, JAY CLARK and GLENN McFARLANE

Melbourne remains confident key forward Sam Weideman wants to stay at the club for the long-term despite being pushed out of the senior side.

The agile goal kicker is out of contract at season’s end but has not yet flagged any plans to explore a move to a rival club at the end of the year.

The Demons have strong belief Weideman has a bright future at the club even though he has been leapfrogged by new recruit Ben Brown and remains behind Tom McDonald and Luke Jackson in the forward line pecking order.

He has been out of the team since the Round 13 loss to Collingwood but the Dees are content the contract discussions will lead to his signature even if he is yet to put pen to paper.
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/olympics
Collingwood would be a natural fit but does not have the salary cap room to accommodate Weideman, while Gold Coast is hunting another key forward and has put its first draft pick on the table to help secure a quality marking target.

Weideman, 25, has booted only three goals from five games this season and averaged eight disposals a match, having failed to grab his chance when he was in the senior side.

The average form means even if he did demand a release he would not command a considerable bounty in return at the trade table.

The Demons brought in Brown from North Melbourne and have been thrilled with McDonald’s output this year after failing to trade him last year.

The Demons have done an outstanding job tying up their priority targets this year re-signing stars Clayton Oliver, Christian Petracca, Max Gawn and Christian Salem.

Cox is exactly the guy you don't trade unless the new coach says so.

Listening to Jack Riewoldt (however you spell it!) on Fox footy a few weeks back confirmed to me that you don't move him on.

Jack basically said he is unstoppable.
but the caveat to that was "if its kicked to him properly".
We have always kicked it to him so poorly.
In fact, every good game you can remember from him will be a result of us actually kicking it to him properly.

We just have such an awful game plan and skills that no one in our fwd line would succeed!
And no, Lynch wouldn't be the messiah because you'd be asking him to take 500 pack marks a game (just like we do Cox etc)

So i'm suggesting we just wait....get the new coach in place....then make the calls that he wants to make.

And yes....the Rocca call was madness....but it pails in comparison to S Mackee for pick 3.....pavlich, c'mon down!

Let’s press pause for a second on this type of commentary re Cox. Mihocek’s received the same service since joining the club and despite being very undersized for a number 1 forward has kicked 25+ goals each year whereas Cox best year was, you guessed it, 25 goals.

Cox struggles in our forward mix because he’s too easily moved off the ball as others have pointed out and pound for pound has league worst hands. If Cox were able to hold his ground in the contest and hold his marks he’d be a 50 goal a year player because he gets to enough contests plus he gets a decent run from the umpires (I’d say he’s probably got a league best goal from free kick ratio).

He’ll take those traits with him if he leaves, but I can see him staying as cover for Grundy because we could be exposed if he went down once we trade Lynch. A one year deal on $200k should do it and if he can get better elsewhere so be it.

Roverjg I think you’d be surprised what the market rate will be on Weideman…

Last edited:
Article on the HS website: Disturbing if true about our salary cap that we cannot afford a VFL player

Melbourne remains confident key forward Sam Weideman wants to stay at the club for the long-term despite being pushed out of the senior side.

The agile goal kicker is out of contract at season’s end but has not yet flagged any plans to explore a move to a rival club at the end of the year.

The Demons have strong belief Weideman has a bright future at the club even though he has been leapfrogged by new recruit Ben Brown and remains behind Tom McDonald and Luke Jackson in the forward line pecking order.

He has been out of the team since the Round 13 loss to Collingwood but the Dees are content the contract discussions will lead to his signature even if he is yet to put pen to paper.
Collingwood would be a natural fit but does not have the salary cap room to accommodate Weideman, while Gold Coast is hunting another key forward and has put its first draft pick on the table to help secure a quality marking target.

Weideman, 25, has booted only three goals from five games this season and averaged eight disposals a match, having failed to grab his chance when he was in the senior side.

The average form means even if he did demand a release he would not command a considerable bounty in return at the trade table.

The Demons brought in Brown from North Melbourne and have been thrilled with McDonald’s output this year after failing to trade him last year.

The Demons have done an outstanding job tying up their priority targets this year re-signing stars Clayton Oliver, Christian Petracca, Max Gawn and Christian Salem.
They can keep him

I prefer we had a crack at Riccardi or even Schache from the Dogs. You would think both these guys could play a role for us, with a cheaper price tag. Remember we need to moneyball our trading, get players to fill needs, but not at a high cost....

Not great news about the salary cap if correct.

However it is great news about Weideman.

Lobb would be 700th on my target list.
Due to -
He is on big coin and plays a role similar to Cameron and Cox. Not a sufficient upgrade on those 2 to justify the salary.
I'd rather take Lobb, stick Cameron in the ruck with Lynch support and move on Grundy, reckon our "net" position maybe either same or better!!!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn't McInnes be better as the clearance player in the Dangerfield/Treloar mould who can break away from a contest?

At the moment our problem is winning the ball in the middle, Adams is not enough.
I'm not too sure if I'm honest. He's got a very solid frame for a young mid (193cms, 86kgs at the start of the year) but he also has really impressive speed over a short distance. My dream is a Jack Steele-esque player

You really think that - have you been watching Grundy lately or seduced by stats?
If your attitude towards stats is that then I already know where this conversation would head.

But yes, anyone who pays attention rationally would think that Grundy > Lobb and Lynch

If it's what is being reported the markets wrong! I hope we stay well clear.

The market is wrong. The fact we’re talking about Cox having any value is proof enough. The club best reading it is Hawthorn because they’ve stockpiled a number of KPF’s U21 who’ll eventually make it, receive interest from other clubs allowing Hawthorn to accumulate list pieces or they can throw them down back. My hope is that’s the IP Wright has brought to Collingwood as much as how to manage TPP.

FWIW I don’t know what’s more laughable that people are discussing Lobb or Jake Kelly. Hine’s had a rager for Lobb for 5+ years and I think he’s an upgrade on Cameron myself, but we can’t touch him unless he’s a salary dump. Fremantle have been very crafty with their list build so if they need to dump salaries it’ll be Walters not Lobb. Kelly on the other hand is just stupid list management.

I prefer we had a crack at Riccardi or even Schache from the Dogs. You would think both these guys could play a role for us, with a cheaper price tag. Remember we need to moneyball our trading, get players to fill needs, but not at a high cost....

I prefer we wait and see what McMahon, Begg, and Johnson offer. Look to add another KPP via the draft if we can.

Paid less this year with an extension of another year.

Yep. Offer wasn't taken up by the club but essentially less for 2021 and 2022. Still doesn't answer the question of why wouldn't he stay for less?

I prefer we wait and see what McMahon, Begg, and Johnson offer. Look to add another KPP via the draft if we can.
I agree. Mihocek, Cameron, Elliott and Henry offer a fair bit of aerial threat. I'm more concerned about ground level - both up forward and in the midfield.

It's well known we still have issues this year. It won't be fixed until next year.

Yes true, but also these guys are going to take a few years to come on, with the exception of Johnson, as is a "mature " age recruit. I would still like to see a KPP added to the list next year, who has played AFL footy and been in the system already for a few years, enabling Begg and McMahon to develop their game over the next few years.

Yes true, but also these guys are going to take a few years to come on, with the exception of Johnson, as is a "mature " age recruit. I would still like to see a KPP added to the list next year, who has played AFL footy and been in the system already for a few years, enabling Begg and McMahon to develop their game over the next few years.

I'm hopeful we'll get to see all of them next year. With Checkers and Cameron holding down the key posts, and Kelly (current thinking) next in line, the urgency is mitigated and they can start as 3rd tall options.

If we're adding a KPP type, I hope it's in the defence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back