List Mgmt. Trade and F/A - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How he sees him self is irrelevant if that’s not how the coaching staff see him.
Not irrelevant to motivation and performance though. Eg. I think someone like Jeremy Howe probably had to be given time to learn he was a mediocre forward in order to fully embrace how good a defender he is.

On one of the Legends Members Zoom sessions one of the assistant coaches said that Kelly sees himself as a forward and wants to try and make it in AFL as a forward.

He may well see more opportunity up forward whereas our backs are more settled. Personally I think he’s a defender or bust, and if he gets up forward at all it will be for a quarter here or there as a swing man.

That was the Buckley view
Most sane footy analysts believe his best hope of making it at AFL level is as a defender

Who? Which footy analysts? I'm not saying you're wrong but at the moment they are merely 'sane'. I don't think he's a defender if you watched how he went in the VFL. I fairly certain he attempted playing in defence on ANZAC Day and played terribly. He's a forward. Watch his VFL highlights for proof.

Mick McGuane in the HUN apparently putting Weideman up as a potential trade target for us. Just joining the dots there I would think.

Not irrelevant to motivation and performance though. Eg. I think someone like Jeremy Howe probably had to be given time to learn he was a mediocre forward in order to fully embrace how good a defender he is.
Craig Kelly is literally one of the biggest lobbyists for Collingwood. Parents have a lot of pull these days and if they don't like it, they'll tell the coach. That's why so many guys move: they want to play mid and coach isn't giving it to them like they did when they were in juniors. Now, in this argument, Kelly was a defender but his son just isn't. I think people place him there because of his dad but that's not the vibes I get from Kelly. We drafted him as a defender, made him a forward, switched him back and now we've realised he was a forward all a long.

Mick McGuane in the HUN apparently putting Weideman up as a potential trade target for us. Just joining the dots there I would think.
Most media outlets are reporting it. He's Melbourne's top priority and him staying depends on who else leaves and their success next week.

Or just some honesty. Nothing wrong knowing what the player's own beliefs and aspirations are. Medhurst saw himself play a leading forward role and had the conviction to express this.

It doesn't necessarily mean that he wouldn't try his best in any other position that the team needed him to play in.

That absolutely wasn’t to pot Kelly, but rather the coaches.

I saw highlights of the after match presser of Mike Vrobel (Tennessee Titans Head Coach) on Monday and he was talking about Julio Jones giving away a penalty at a crucial moment which took them from a decent situation to a bad situation. The headline was that what Jones did was dumb s**t, but to bring it all together the sub text for why it was dumb s**t is because Vrobel and his team don’t coach their players to do that. If each of our guys goes out there on weekends and executes the coaches instructions we’ll win most weeks even with the worst list in the competition.

Kelly declaring he’d like to be a forward and the coaches accepting that is an example of what not to do as a coach.

Craig Kelly is literally one of the biggest lobbyists for Collingwood. Parents have a lot of pull these days and if they don't like it, they'll tell the coach. That's why so many guys move: they want to play mid and coach isn't giving it to them like they did when they were in juniors. Now, in this argument, Kelly was a defender but his son just isn't. I think people place him there because of his dad but that's not the vibes I get from Kelly. We drafted him as a defender, made him a forward, switched him back and now we've realised he was a forward all a long.

Might as well delist him now because you’re more chance of making it as a forward than Kelly!

Might as well delist him now because you’re more chance of making it as a forward than Kelly!

Sco, you don't normally express yourself this strongly.

I'm sure you've seen more of Will than I have and would like to read what you think would be holding him back from doing well in the forward line.

I'd keep him and use an attacking game plan. His VFL game where he teamed up with McMahon was solid and proof as to what he can be. Watch the highlights of the VFL season. They're not bad.

I'm sure you've seen more of Will than I have and would like to read what you think would be holding him back from doing well in the forward line.

What are his weaknesses? Where's evidence of it a game? I'm open to joining the delist Will boat but give me proof.

Has he played more than 3 games in a row at any level yet. I don't think even the coaches are in a position to know what we've got with Kelly. But they've been pretty bullish about him in terms of both media comments and selection. He must tick boxes at training.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has he played more than 3 games in a row at any level yet. I don't think even the coaches are in a position to know what we've got with Kelly. But they've been pretty bullish about him in terms of both media comments and selection. He must tick boxes at training.

He's the Unluckiest Kid.

Apparently NM are not into him now they have CCJ. Also talk of little interest from anyone else and Melb may not offer a contract. Depending on what happens with Lipinski and if Melb don't offer a contract, he becomes less of a risk and a free hit if we pick him up in PSD.

Will Kelly is a forward. He's not being played down back anymore.
I think we should be looking at him to replace Roughie. Don't see anyone else on the list likely to replace Roughie apart from Kelly.

If he becomes a really good KPD the dream of moving Moore forward could them be considered in a few years.

Ability is probably the obvious one, but fundamentally his workrate, contested marking, marking in general, size, leading patterns and speed are all issues at the top level, IMO. I think he’s just another McLarty. Honestly if his surname wasn’t Kelly would he be rated at all?

I'd keep him and use an attacking game plan. His VFL game where he teamed up with McMahon was solid and proof as to what he can be. Watch the highlights of the VFL season. They're not bad.

I’m not sure an isolated match v a standalone VFL team is proof of anything related to AFL ability, but I think I’m fighting a losing battle if I try to sway your opinion. I mean if we’re doing that McMahon’s the next Buddy…

Laughable that Geelong, who have blown countless first round picks for the best part of 10 years, think they can get Ollie Henry :laughing:

He is ours and best of luck watching the better Henry go to work in the black and white for the next 10 years Cats fans.

And the award for most out of context post of 2021 goes too….

I don't know Sco is opinionated and forceful in his language in my experience although not crossing the line into abusive/dismissive replies.

Haha! I was just reading through their trade thread on their board after a cats fan rang up SEN today and said Geelong should send 30, 32, 34 to Collingwood for O. Henry
I mean the suggestion is laughable, but the idea probably isn’t as bad as it sounds. For some reason players just want to head back there.

As someone who’s spent plenty of time in Geelong for work (thankfully no more) I don’t get it. Must be something in the water down there growing up and definitely not the life time supply of wood from mitre 10 and a couple of Ford Rangers.

Ability is probably the obvious one, but fundamentally his workrate, contested marking, marking in general, size, leading patterns and speed are all issues at the top level, IMO. I think he’s just another McLarty. Honestly if his surname wasn’t Kelly would he be rated at all?

I have seen glimpses that suggest to me he deserves at least another year of consistent training and a chance to settle into a position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back