List Mgmt. Trade & Draft Discussion 2023 post season - Picks Reid,30,40,49,66 (Bush league)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Eagles fans!

The embedded resources below are kept up to date by the trade board mods (as much as possible – we are human after all). Enjoy!

Keys you may like to sticky this post & move it to the start of the thread (so the sticky post doesn't rotate if a post is deleted before it), or copy it to your draft thread if you have one.

Well considering there is no team in Tassie for at least 5 years it isn’t a shock to anyone he is keen to leave Tassie to get a job that will almost certainly be paying him north of $500k p.a as a 21yo.

The issue is when an extra million or two from the AFL comes knocking. Crap hole or not, that is a lot of money.

Reid, he’ll be fine. Most players don’t think going to Perth to start their career is the dream - it just isn’t the statistical likelihood when 2/18 teams are there. But we also see players settle in really well really quickly and many rave about the Perth lifestyle after months or a year. Then we have a significant number of interstate players stay post career.

Basically take the best player at the pick we hold (Reid 1, McKercher 2) with not much consideration of go home factor. Don’t concern ourselves about it in any trade offers, but take a godfather offer if one comes (I doubt it will)

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If the Tassie team has a war chest in cap space gifted to them early they would throw a huge offer at Harley as well wouldnt they? A 24 yr old Dusty half forward entering their prime?

They wont be drafting and trading in 100% Tasmanians. So for the top end talent they will be throwing the cheque book at any out of contract mainland based player. Hell, it even sounds as if an existing contract potentially wont protect clubs from a raid.

So this is not just a West Coast issue and who they draft. Its a competition wide issue. And yes, the smaller, less successful clubs will bear more of the cost at the time because poaching good players from bottom teams is easier than poaching a well paid player enjoying team success.

Duggan RFA next year as well, could be a win win situation. If he signs on, great we need to keep our leaders and he's an important player. If he leaves however we could be looking at a early first rounder if he triggers band 1 compo.

Twomey also suggested we will target English and possibly Baker next year. Said we went hard at Baker before he re-signed with Richmond.

If we go after English as a FA we won’t get any compo for losing Duggan as a FA

We’d either have to trade for English, which we may have to do anyway if the Bulldogs match or we’d have to match Duggans offer to force a trade

If the Tassie team has a war chest in cap space gifted to them early they would throw a huge offer at Harley as well wouldnt they? A 24 yr old Dusty half forward entering their prime?

They wont be drafting and trading in 100% Tasmanians. So for the top end talent they will be throwing the cheque book at any out of contract mainland based player. Hell, it even sounds as if an existing contract potentially wont protect clubs from a raid.

So this is not just a West Coast issue and who they draft. Its a competition wide issue. And yes, the smaller, less successful clubs will bear more of the cost at the time because poaching good players from bottom teams is easier than poaching a well paid player enjoying team success.
Yes, they will try to get players like Reid too, but Tasmania is likely to be much more appealing to those with family there who’ve grown up there.

We’d either have to trade for English, which we may have to do anyway if the Bulldogs match or we’d have to match Duggans offer to force a trade

In the situation of a match in offer could we not just increase the offer? I'm not certain how that part works.

I will only accept option 2 and not melt as hard. but that assumes norf bottom 3

I'll crack the shits at option 1.

Both GWS and Geelong told north to gtfo with their pick 15 and 17 for pick 8/9 that should tell you something.

I'll be honest I really don't see how the * media and norf people can possibly think 2 and 3 is superior to pick 2 and F1 and in addition to 15 and/or 17.

It's like they dig themselves in a hole by saying you no touch 2 and 3. Here's the bounty of gold.
2 OR 3 AND the three later pick

Very different to

2 F1 and one of later 3
de4b3b58-c484-4af1-bd34-acd7be238a7d_text.gif

Jeez I would have though the King of Queens meme from the social media team was essentially saying 'lol no we don't accept your crap offers'.

We also sent both clubs a poop emoji but they’re arguing that doesn’t officially constitute rejection of the offer.

If Duggan nets band 1 compensation I wouldn’t bother with English if it means we’re getting pick 2 or 3 for Duggan leaving.

With that being said, there’s a 0.01% chance any club offers Duggan what’s required.

I asked the club :

1) Does Zane Trew get a new contract or will that not be determined until the draft?
2) Is Jai Culley likely to be promoted to the main list or remain on the rookie list for 2024?
3) Are Tyrell Dewar and Jordyn Baker contracted for next year?

And got this response

Hey Keys, all of these lis questions will be answered when we lodge our final list for the year (after draft).

That was not quite 2 weeks ago
Oh, great. Guess I'll have to actually find some patience. From what I can find the final list lodgement is November 23.

I do wonder how this works then with training resuming Nov 6 for 1st-4th year players. Will Dewar, Baker and Trew be there even though their contractual duties only last until October 31?

Are those three even on our list anymore? Have they been delisted? Or just... in limbo?

I suppose it doesn't really matter in the long run. But it's off-season, and now I'm curious about how this works

If Duggan nets band 1 compensation I wouldn’t bother with English if it means we’re getting pick 2 or 3 for Duggan leaving.

With that being said, there’s a 0.01% chance any club offers Duggan what’s required.

0% chance the AFL allows the same generousity in compo for a half back flanker from an interstate club.

Especially after the uproar from clubs this year with McKay.

Best compo we get is an end of 1st round. And I dont see Duggan asking for a trade in any case.

Let's say we take an offer from North and end up with something like 2,17,18 and F1, then in 6 years time Tasmania come knocking and offer something like two first rounders for Mckercher.
That ends up being 5 first rounders for pick #1.
Hard to see us losing anyway you look at it.

On SM-S906E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Our window will be pushed back several years though so we will lose. Lose time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The club taking Duggan would also have to be willing and able to pay him ridiculous overs to game the AFL's algorithm in order for us to get Band 1 compo for him like North did with McKay.

And even if you were able to go down that road with another club and tried to game the algorithm like North and Essendon did, what if the AFL have changed it after what hapenned this year and you give up Duggan for nothing as a free agent expecting to get Band 1 compo but then you end up with Band 3 instead. Thats a risk.

You have to wonder whether North were given a wink and nod by the AFL that their obvious and blatant scamming of the system would be allowed to get them the desired result before they did it with Essendon. Otherwise it was a hell of a risk they took.

Why are we talking about Duggan going as a free agent anyway? Is there any suggestion that clubs are hunting him or that he wants to go?

2028 will be their first season, and the 2027 trade period is less than 4 years away, so we'd have mckercher for 4 seasons if the AFL threw a mountain of cash at him and he decided to join the inaugural side.
Would be risky for WCE even with compensation Picks as we should be getting better win results and pushing into the Top 8 ..

I could see St Kilda or Hawthorn potentially offering 800k +

$800k will be band 2, maybe band 3 next year.

That is the ridiculous (corrupt?) nature of the AFL.

$850k this year was the threshold for band 1, next year it will be $980k ish (5% increase for 2023, 10% increase for 2024).

Duggan isn’t worth band 1, but if it were ever going to happen it would have had to have been this year.

If we did as they suggest and take Curtin and dursma with 2&3 I'd be physically ill...

If we did as they suggest and take Curtin and dursma with 2&3 I'd be physically ill...

Duursma will be coaxed back to Melbourne, specifically the bombers, for the romance of playing with his brother. And then the third duursma will somehow end up being drafted by them to make it the family fairytale. this post. Take it to the

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

$800k will be band 2, maybe band 3 next year.

That is the ridiculous (corrupt?) nature of the AFL.

$850k this year was the threshold for band 1, next year it will be $980k ish (5% increase for 2023, 10% increase for 2024).

Duggan isn’t worth band 1, but if it were ever going to happen it would have had to have been this year.

You’ve nailed the point I was going to make

This system was broken. I suspect the AFL will make sure it doesn’t happen again

Duursma will be coaxed back to Melbourne, specifically the bombers, for the romance of playing with his brother. And then the third duursma will somehow end up being drafted by them to make it the family fairytale. this post. Take it to the

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
Reid, McKercher and Duursma are all flight risks. Either trade back and take players that can trace their WA lineage back to the 1800's or fold the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back