List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think (hope) our free agency and trade period will be pretty boring. It will be players leaving for most likely future picks & thats about it IMO.

Its been hard to get a gauge of where our future sat due to our rapid decline & large injury list, but its obvious now we need to commit to building future success. This would rule out making a move for Tom Mitchell or giving up any assets for any other player over 24. It still means Cerra is not worth overpaying. With all our picks in hand, it makes the decision on CCJ more obvious - he must be retained. If we were planning on "going at it again", trading CCJ to get a Tom Mitchell may have made some sense, but with that out of the equation & an abundance of picks this year - it now makes little sense to lose him only to hit the draft immediately to replace him. This strategy still could lend itself to someone like Talia or Mitch Wallis being bought in - but it will be for chump change and to be a stop gap option (ie Troy Chaplin, Mark Graham ) while a younger player develops - we should not expect their presence to be met with any notable success.

Our only real chance for success next year is the core of the previous success keeping fit and catching fire, blending with a strong core of 7 players that will be new to the main group.

After 2025, will Gawn come home to Richmond with Melbournes blessing?

People have to consider the possibility Max Gawn does a Paul Salmon and comes back to the team he supported as a kid after winning multiple premierships at Melbourne and Jackson taking over as their main ruck

I think (hope) our free agency and trade period will be pretty boring. It will be players leaving for most likely future picks & thats about it IMO.

Its been hard to get a gauge of where our future sat due to our rapid decline & large injury list, but its obvious now we need to commit to building future success. This would rule out making a move for Tom Mitchell or giving up any assets for any other player over 24. It still means Cerra is not worth overpaying. With all our picks in hand, it makes the decision on CCJ more obvious - he must be retained. If we were planning on "going at it again", trading CCJ to get a Tom Mitchell may have made some sense, but with that out of the equation & an abundance of picks this year - it now makes little sense to lose him only to hit the draft immediately to replace him. This strategy still could lend itself to someone like Talia or Mitch Wallis being bought in - but it will be for chump change and to be a stop gap option (ie Troy Chaplin, Mark Graham ) while a younger player develops - we should not expect their presence to be met with any notable success.

Our only real chance for success next year is the core of the previous success keeping fit and catching fire, blending with a strong core of 7 players that will be new to the main group.
You can't compare us to Geelong. Our list is in much better shape. Injuries killed us this year. Yes the same hunger wasn't there but we definitely haven't declined just got destroyed by injuries to key players. And we also have some good young talent coming through that has the ability to force their way into the side, unlike Geelong

You can't compare us to Geelong. Our list is in much better shape. Injuries killed us this year. Yes the same hunger wasn't there but we definitely haven't declined just got destroyed by injuries to key players. And we also have some good young talent coming through that has the ability to force their way into the side, unlike Geelong
Yep, I cannot understand the doom and gloom of some on here. We have lost Bachar and Dave but the others will be back. Just have to keep them on the park. Just remember, we won last years flag on 24 October and we barely trained before Christmas as a result. That’s not a proper AFL preseason nor is it setting up a great fitness base. Makes you suspect to injury and not a real surprise in hindsight that we copped injuries so much. Some really bad luck involved too, and hopefully, we get a run like the Dees have had this season.
On top of that, and has been widely reported, they felt like they didn’t really have a break from the grind, and as a result, got tired and likely motivation dwindled towards the end of the season and I’m not going to knock them for that. We were up there for a sustained period and should have won 4 in a row really, but for some unfortunate timing with gastro issues😳 (& Dusty having a severe injury rendering him unable to run!!!)
I’m really confident we will rebound hard and I think the players will be really determined to show that they still have got what it takes. Sure, there may be some decline in the ageing players but I don’t think it’ll be much at all, if any? and assuming the VFL is back in a decent way, we can develop and play some of the young players we’ve recruited in the last 2-3 drafts.
We won’t be active in this upcoming trade period, as the cap is tight, but may grab a KPD, then we hit the draft with some excellent picks available to us, so a refresh will be done.
As a footnote, unlike many, I don’t want us to offload Caddy, as he’s a polished performer in big games. My rider on that though is that he’s said to have had big issues to deal with this past season and I hope he is past them and can re focus on his footy.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As an example of the problems with COVID restrictions, I was told in a forum that Thomson Dow, in 2 full AFL seasons, has managed to play the sum total of 5 VFL games. Didn’t check it for accuracy but if true, it shows why some players are yet to blossom, coming in to the senior side and we expect them to perform. It’s a tough ask, and we can’t really make an accurate judgement based on that

Can’t compare our list profile with Geelong.

People have to stop lumping in all 30 year olds as being finished up. You can still transition with a few 30+ year olds and play at a high level. Port have 4 players 30+ in their side tonight and another who will be 30 next year. Stop with the doom and gloom
Crap!
Of the half a dozen or so players over 30 next year, , Dusty, Lambert, Grimes, Pickett all just turned or turning 30. Cotchin will be 32, Jack and edwards 33. The trick is to manage those 3 next year and get continued development into players like Dow, RCD, Stack, Ross, CJ etc to be better players the following year when those 3 likely retire.

We can still have a very high level year next year. Realistically the rapid Decline will come The following year when the 3 champions are too old but hopefully that will be offset by some young players
Really taking that next step

Need speed out of the middle like dees last night. They have 2 getting the ball the rest running wide. Our centre breaks this year pathetic. It helps if you have Gawn. We need 2 clear mids who can be inside. We need an intercept defender and an agile medium forward. These need to be our young’s. After that’s it’s a raffle but I would not be averse to getting talia,

Need speed out of the middle like dees last night. They have 2 getting the ball the rest running wide. Our centre breaks this year pathetic. It helps if you have Gawn. We need 2 clear mids who can be inside. We need an intercept defender and an agile medium forward. These need to be our young’s. After that’s it’s a raffle but I would not be averse to getting talia,

Speed out of the middle I think we already have the potential there, Bolton and RCD are both very dynamic out of the centre.

Intercept defender = we have plenty surely?? Vlastuin the pick of the bunch.

Agile Medium fwd - I like it but hard to fit him In with dusty down there, so will have to settle For dusty 🤣

Last edited:
Watching Melbourne tonight highlights our need to just hit the draft, we built our dynasty going through the draft then added players like nank, Prestia, caddy and lynch later for needs. Melbourne have done exactly the same then added guys like may, lever, Langdon to address their deficiencies. Can see the dees being dominant for next 2-3 now. I know they haven’t even won a flag yet, but boy are they set
Yep, I don’t think there is another way around it when it comes to a dynasty or even winning a Premiership.

Yep, and with a Doggie win tonight they'll only have pick 19/20 + 70 to match a Darcy bid at 3. That currently leaves them 800 odd pts short, effectively wiping out their 1st rnd pick next year too.
Lots of clubs will be eyeing off their first rounder. West Coast have later picks comparable to ours
Currently have 29, 36, 49, 65 - 1532 compared to our picks 28 40 & 44 - 1468 or 26 40 & 44 - 1520 points

Do you honestly think we could compete with Melbourne last night?

Yep, I don’t think there is another way around it when it comes to a dynasty or even winning a Premiership.
100% no way around it Melbourne’s depth is amazing and we can’t compete I don’t think. Unless we loaded up in a Kelly and De Goey which we clearly are not. Melbourne are full of 25-28 year old bulls and it’s not 2017 anymore. It’s their time now and we should still try our best to win and win it all, but go hard at the draft at the same time. Who know when you have dusty. We should trade chol/CCJ for top picks in next years draft so we secure a strong hand next year regardless of ladder position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back