List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Collingwood midfielder Brayden Sier is on the hunt for a new home.

The man who starred in the 2018 Grand Final, but has since been hit by injuries, is unlikely to be offered a new contract by the Magpies.

But Sier, who is still only 23, is expected to generate interest over the next few weeks which could yet result in a lifeline at another club for next season.

Collingwood midfielder Brayden Sier, right, is on the hunt for a new club. Picture: Michael Klein

Collingwood midfielder Brayden Sier, right, is on the hunt for a new club. Picture: Michael Klein

Sier played 12 games in 2018 and shone in the premiership decider, gathering 21 possessions in the engine room.

But the man who was taken pick No. 32 from Northern Knights fell out of favour over the past two seasons under Nathan Buckley and Robert Harvey and is looking for a fresh start.

At his best, Sier is a tough-tackling hard nut who could bolster a team’s clearance work.

There is strong competition for fresh onball opportunities with ex-Saint Luke Dunstan, Gold Coast’s Will Brodie and Geelong’s Charlie Constable also looking for another team.

People on here would still have tissues from tugging it over will Brodie

s**t development or dodged a bullet?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We should be chasing Jy Simpkin as part of the CCJ deal, we have the picks to make it happen
What are you diasagreeing with THE THIN MAN? You probably reckon we should take all our picks to the draft and get some guns for the future??

FFS, Dusty didn't play premiership standard football until he was 25 and he is the GOAT, unless we pick up an elite midfielder of 24 to 27 years old we are just wasting the time Grimes Martin Edwards Reiwoldt and Cotchin and probably even Lynch have left as we have managed to let CCJ and Chol walk out the door.

Have you even looked at Cotchin and Simpkins numbers at the same age, have you looked at the % of players taken at pick 7 that get nowhere near where Simpkin is at now and this year we will be drafting youngsters who have missed huge chunks of development over the last 2 years

Gee it's tough that Naish was announced straight away but they haven't done the same with Egg and Garthwaithe. Both surely gone

I think we delisted him so early was so he had a better chance at getting picked up by another team as a DFA. We weren’t going to get anything for him anyway.

Our 2017 Draft haul is looking pretty bare now:

Pick 17 - Higgins
Pick 20 - Coleman-Jones
Pick 25 - Balta
Pick 34 - Naish
Pick 63 - Miller (?)
Different to other hauls like 2005, 2013 where we picked up duds.

Two or the three players crossed out have trade value. The Higgo trade worked out to be worth around pick 23 pointwise, which isn't bad. We will probably get bent over on the CCJ trade but should still get something back for him.

Our 2017 Draft haul is looking pretty bare now:

Pick 17 - Higgins
Pick 20 - Coleman-Jones
Pick 25 - Balta
Pick 34 - Naish
Pick 63 - Miller (?)

If you draft two good players per year you are doing well.

Balta is tracking to be a marquee wage type. Miller is far from deceased. Higgins we have effectively deferred the pick to this year’s draft. Coleman-Jones picking out the team who has pick 1 in the PSD is a rip to the solar plexus, because it means we won’t get much for him. But overall if we make anything from the Higgins and CCJ compensation we will have done well from that 2017 draft, and even if we don’t it is never going to be a disaster while Balta keeps tracking as he is.

But you left off your list another great prize…..Liam Baker, taken in the rookie draft. So Balta + Baker there is your annual allotment of 2 players right there + Higgins and CCJ compensation + Miller.

Remaining from drafts 2014 onwards:

2014 - Castagna Lambert Soldo Short
2015 - Rioli Broad + Markov and Chol compensation
2016 - Bolton Graham + Nankervis Prestia Caddy traded in
2017 - Balta Baker Miller + Higgins and CCJ compensation(if any)
2018 - RCD Ross Aarts Stack+ Lynch as free agent
2019 - Pickett Dow Cumberland Nyuon Martyn Ralphsmith all look like surviving into third year(3rd full year in Pickett’s case)
2020 - Ryan, Rioli Jnr both showing some promise at VFL level.

That constitutes up to 16 best 22 players brought in just from the last 7 trading periods/drafts. And you would expect another 3-4 minimum to be added between the existing youngsters and the new 2021 acquisitions.

We are exceeding all reasonable expectations with our talent acquisition, and 2017 is no exception.

Norf poster on the Robbie Tarrant compo. No points for guess who the poster is.

1631895267590.png

I feel he’s a better player than Talia but I also look at Talia who’s two years younger and has been delisted so he’ll be on a lesser contract and won’t affect our Chol compo.

Tarrant has a two year deal on the table at North and would still be one of their better earners. If he comes we’ll have to offer him a far more competitive deal that Talia and either include him in a potential CCJ deal to protect our compo and get less in return for that deal or we sign him as a free agent and most likely lose out compensation pick.

I want us to challenge next season and Miller/Biggie/Garth just aren’t at the level to be playing regular football next year in a team wanting to play in the top four so I can recognise the importance in getting a ready made FB. However I do want to continue thinking about the future so I want to bring in a cheap option with an outlay of next to nothing.
I don’t disagree. All very valid points as well. We must be of the view that
Either our compo pick won’t be that high to use so therefor a nothing pick or we can force Roos into a Trade with CCJ/Tarrantbexause they won’t get compensated is that right?. At the end of the day if he stays we have forced the Roos to offer Tarrant a better deal and they have spent more money and years on him than they originally wanted to.

Collingwood midfielder Brayden Sier is on the hunt for a new home.

The man who starred in the 2018 Grand Final, but has since been hit by injuries, is unlikely to be offered a new contract by the Magpies.

But Sier, who is still only 23, is expected to generate interest over the next few weeks which could yet result in a lifeline at another club for next season.

Sier played 12 games in 2018 and shone in the premiership decider, gathering 21 possessions in the engine room.

But the man who was taken pick No. 32 from Northern Knights fell out of favour over the past two seasons under Nathan Buckley and Robert Harvey and is looking for a fresh start.

At his best, Sier is a tough-tackling hard nut who could bolster a team’s clearance work.

There is strong competition for fresh onball opportunities with ex-Saint Luke Dunstan, Gold Coast’s Will Brodie and Geelong’s Charlie Constable also looking for another team.

if we go for him I will spew

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mothng wrong with getting one of talia or tarrant. Nothing. Garth has to go but we still develop miller. I like our thinking, we need reliability and both these fellas give us that. They are different players, Tarrant my choice is more agile. Talia is more a body on body. We need to get our ducks in the row, then we load up on kids.

I don’t disagree. All very valid points as well. We must be of the view that
Either our compo pick won’t be that high to use so therefor a nothing pick or we can force Roos into a Trade with CCJ/Tarrantbexause they won’t get compensated is that right?. At the end of the day if he stays we have forced the Roos to offer Tarrant a better deal and they have spent more money and years on him than they originally wanted to.
With the ability to back end contracts it’s not unreasonable that providing Tarrant with a longer term deal and CCJ deal being back ended that it will compromise their salary cap in future .
They also have some emerging players like LDU , Larkey and Simpkin who are going to start getting offers else where from clubs who are playing deep into finals .

What are you diasagreeing with THE THIN MAN? You probably reckon we should take all our picks to the draft and get some guns for the future??

FFS, Dusty didn't play premiership standard football until he was 25 and he is the GOAT, unless we pick up an elite midfielder of 24 to 27 years old we are just wasting the time Grimes Martin Edwards Reiwoldt and Cotchin and probably even Lynch have left as we have managed to let CCJ and Chol walk out the door.

Have you even looked at Cotchin and Simpkins numbers at the same age, have you looked at the % of players taken at pick 7 that get nowhere near where Simpkin is at now and this year we will be drafting youngsters who have missed huge chunks of development over the last 2 years
What North Melbourne would want to part with Simpkin, would not be cost effective.

All the pie in the sky narratives comes down to 'will team x part with player z', North Melbourne will not part with Simpkin!

I feel most people would agree with this CCJ has a more rounded game, they’re very different types of talls.

It’s really hard comparing a fella who wants to be here and has signed a new player with someone who wants to leave and won’t sign a new contract though.
With the ability to back end contracts it’s not unreasonable that providing Tarrant with a longer term deal and CCJ deal being back ended that it will compromise their salary cap in future .
They also have some emerging players like LDU , Larkey and Simpkin who are going to start getting offers else where from clubs who are playing deep into finals .

I am fascinated if they Lose Tarrant.
Then they will get compensated likely with pick 21 after their selection 20 in the second round.
So then the trade for CJ is a seperate transaction yes? Would we be looking to somehow get pick 21 which will be 23 or so for CJ? They’d have picks 1,20,21,38,69. They’d probably then just walk CJ to the PSD? can’t see how the CCJ /Tarrant trade happens if they get compensated

Rich IN Tarrant
OUT: CJ and Chol and no compo pick

I can’t see their list using 80% of the cap even with the overpays.

I thought I would look up a comparison between Astbury and Tarrant for the 2020 season, I've cut out the obvious age dif etc

ASTBURY ....................................................................TARRANT
View attachment 1238582

got more than double the free kicks Dave got….we need to recruit him ASAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back