Training Training reports - Latest - Mon 26th February, 2018 #956

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 15, 2009
The Riverina
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Thought I’d get in a warm up before I hit January’s sessions, just to get used to seeing the new guys, matching faces to names and to give you guys something to get excited about pre-christmas.

It alternated between sunny and cloudy out at Waverley on a morning where there were some really great competitive drills and game play sims which gave me a great chance to see how the guys are going.

Observations and stand outs:

Whitecross was the dominant voice out there for the first few drills, really loud with the instructions and encouragement particularly for the young guys.

James Sicily playing in defence for the green team was a stand out with his contested marking and reading of the play. Looks set to continue playing as a defender. He will be a weapon.

Jaegar O’meara was starting in the centre square, using his burst speed to get into space and dish the ball off and would frequently end up in the next piece of play. Kicked an absolute ripper goal off a right foot snap from outside 50 at 45 degrees, sublime stuff. No doubt in my mind that he has his speed and acceleration back

Jarman Impey is a tackling machine. Manic attack on the man and once he gets them they don’t get away. I lost count of how many effective tackles he laid. I was very impressed with his vision and ability to find a free man with a deft handball or short kick. I think with his speed and evasiveness he will be real weapon for us in 2018

Jackson Ross looks a likely type. He moves well, and seems to have great skills. He looks to have adjusted well to the pace and intensity of training. Coaches were very complimentary of his efforts for much of the morning.

James Worpel is a ball magnet. Gets caught a bit but seems to have a knack of being where the ball is going and getting his hands on it. Once he adjusts to the pace and intensity at AFL level he will be ready to play seniors. He loves to tackle as well. He hits hard and brings his opponent down.

Marc Pittonet was looking very sharp. He was super aggressive at every contest, his follow up work after the ruck contest was outstanding and for a guy his size he is excellent at ground level. He is a huge unit now.

Breust and Burton were in good form, Silk is still all silk. It’s quite funny to watch a young player try to outsmart or outrun Burgoyne, it never ends well for them.

Langford, Lewis and Big Boy ran laps for most of the day. Howe and Roughy did not compete in the game simulations. Roughy ran laps while that was going on.

Ceglar is looking massive. Seems to have put on a fair bit of muscle during his time off.

That’s it for now. I’ll add anything that I remember later.

See you in early Jan.

Jaegar O’meara was starting in the centre square, using his burst speed to get into space and dish the ball off and would frequently end up in the next piece of play. Kicked an absolute ripper goal off a right foot snap from outside 50 at 45 degrees, sublime stuff. No doubt in my mind that he has his speed and acceleration back.
Merry Xmas to you too. ;)

Great to hear positives about Worpel as well.

Thought I’d get in a warm up before I hit January’s sessions, just to get used to seeing the new guys, matching faces to names and to give you guys something to get excited about pre-christmas.

It alternated between sunny and cloudy out at Waverley on a morning where there were some really great competitive drills and game play sims which gave me a great chance to see how the guys are going.

Whitecross was the dominant voice out there for the first few drills, really loud with the instructions and encouragement particularly for the young guys.

James Sicily playing in defence for the green team was a stand out with his contested marking and reading of the play. Looks set to continue playing as a defender. He will be a weapon.

Jaegar O’meara was starting in the centre square, using his burst speed to get into space and dish the ball off and would frequently end up in the next piece of play. Kicked an absolute ripper goal off a right foot snap from outside 50 at 45 degrees, sublime stuff. No doubt in my mind that he has his speed and acceleration back

Jarman Impey is a tackling machine. Manic attack on the man and once he gets them they don’t get away. I lost count of how many effective tackles he laid. I was very impressed with his vision and ability to find a free man with a deft handball or short kick. I think with his speed and evasiveness he will be real weapon for us in 2018

Jackson Ross looks a likely type. He moves well, and seems to have great skills. He looks to have adjusted well to the pace and intensity of training. Coaches were very complimentary of his efforts for much of the morning.

James Worpel is a ball magnet. Gets caught a bit but seems to have a knack of being where the ball is going and getting his hands on it. Once he adjusts to the pace and intensity at AFL level he will be ready to play seniors. He loves to tackle as well. He hits hard and brings his opponent down.

Marc Pittonet was looking very sharp. He was super aggressive at every contest, his follow up work after the ruck contest was outstanding and for a guy his size he is excellent at ground level. He is a huge unit now.

Breust and Burton were in good form, Silk is still all silk. It’s quite funny to watch a young player try to outsmart or outrun Burgoyne, it never ends well for them.

Langford, Lewis and Big Boy ran laps for most of the day. Howe and Roughy did not compete in the game simulations. Roughy ran laps while that was going on.

Ceglar is looking massive. Seems to have put on a fair bit of muscle during his time off.

See you in early Jan.

How was Gunston. Was he playing up forward or down back?

See you in early Jan.

6gRCnArh.jpg

See you in early Jan.
Thanks for the update!
Where was burton mostly playing?
Cheers.

See you in early Jan.

Wow! Chips are flying, so footy must be on the horizon.
Seasons greetings Axe!

Thanks for the update!
Where was burton mostly playing?
Cheers.

Burton seemed to play a few different positions, even started in the middle a couple of times. I am none the wiser as to where he will end up playing in 2018. All I can say is that he looked sharp wherever he went.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whenever I see a training report and The_Axeman under it - I start singing the username in my head to this tune (mainly because the reports make me happy and upbeat like the song).

See you in early Jan.

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Out of interest - did Ceglar do any forward drills or match sims - or purely in the ruck?

Fantastic report Axe! Out of curiosity, which players were playing on the wing (apart from Smithy)?

Morrison spent some time there, maybe JOR. It can be really hard to tell when they are all wearing white caps.

The_Axeman comes to the rescue.
Interested in how CJ and Morrison were

CJ is very athletic but has a long way to go. He is very, very quick and has no trouble getting to the ball but was easily brushed aside by the bigger bodied players.

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Out of interest - did Ceglar do any forward drills or match sims - or purely in the ruck?

Ceglar was centre square ruck as Big Boy was running laps.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back