Training Training reports 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Courtesy of Glynn Lavender on Facebook (who continues to call our Captain Jyi not Jy)

It's been a minute. But here's a wee run down and some images from the final training run before Round One. Lots of working on game play tactics. One I'm calling The Forward Wave

Lot's of practice of having waves of mids running into forward 50 ahead of the fast moving transition coming out of D50 and the wing. Either being the mark/goal target or the crumber at Larkey's feet.

If you can visualise Larkey, Zurhaar and Duursma as leading forwards and 3-4 mids running back into 50 that provides many many targets and very hard to defend. It requires fast moving 'Northball' as we've already seen and also all these forward options giving each other space. Either way. It is going to be exciting to watch.

They also worked on Stoppage Wins and Losses working on both attacking and defending stoppages.

Stand Outs for the day:
Will Dawson - took some really great marks, kicking very well and putting himself into dangerous spots. He will make an appearance earlier than most expect.

CCJ - I know right.... When he wasn't marking, he was providing a strong body in the contests. He also snapped a great goal, under pressure, around the body, from a very tight angle. He looked the best he's looked all pre season.

Xerri was taking some great contested marks around the ground and that's something we've all been looking from him.

Archer - doing some great work around the ground. Took some strong marks and affected every contest he could. Great to see him ramping up his training.

Corr - involved in all training and VERY vocal when the match play sims were on guiding the young players and educating them. He may be a round one lock just for the experience he brings.

To be honest all the guys looked switched on, there was lots of vocal encouragement from all and it was obvious they are damned pleased the pre season is finally over as I know we all are.

Other things of note:
Powell was initially doing some laps with Logue and some strength work before joining the group.

Logue himself was doing some moderate body work with one of the trainers in another sign that he is building up his training.

Jyi was in the pink No Tackle hat but ran hard, worked hard and was clean and sharp with the ball by hand and foot so I think he is a round 2 lock.

This morning watched Colby and Zane marking against the bag, then having snap-shots at goal from the the forward pockets, obviously on light duties.
Bananas and set shots: both look really skilled, rarely missing by much, but Zane's straight line kicking really is a thing of wondrous beauty. One shot bounced out onto Arden St and stopped traffic, and Colby was impressed. Great to see the youngsters enjoying themselves.

Griff was doing plenty of running and completed a series of change-of-direction sprints right in front...looked good. Looked happy. Big boy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back