Training Training Reports and Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

Cast an eye over training and the team...

Surely thats what our coaches are for. Quite interesting they would need someone external.
We shouldn't be drinking our own bath water just because we made a prelim. If someone with fresh eyes can challenge the preconceived notions of our coaches to take other considerations, it is welcome.

Clearly Fly has learned to value the opinions of others as part of his off-season development. Half the issue with Buckley as senior coach is he became stuck in his ways and surrounded himself with yes men despite evidence to the contrary that his "my way or the highway" style wasn't working.

I think I believe more in history as a teacher than most on this board. I havent left it to others to prove what I am thinking in that I have scrolled through draft guru pretty strongly looking for that player who became regular best 22 after 6 or 8 seasons of not being able to do so i.e the task we have set Frampton. I couldnt find one nor it seems has anyone else.

Anyway its just my theory. Hopefully Billy smashes it to bits. As to Trey he is still a chance to make it but its more likely he ends as a delist at the end of 23 than anything else in my book. He got his second 2 yr contract and has to make the most of it in 23, it will be a tough gig for him. Its a brutal business and ends come quickly
It's just so bizarre that you've chosen to use your "dog with a bone" nature to focus on this whole "6-8 seasons best 22" instead of looking at Frampton himself and working out why we selected him. For instance, last year in the SANFL Frampton averaged 7.7 rebound 50's, which is more than any player on our list. At 200cm in an unfamiliar role. He was also 8th on the leaderboard for total marks despite playing 5 less games.

I might be slow on the uptake here but interesting to see Brendan McCartney helping out at training. The Cats boys circa 2006-2010 raved about him and his input into the clubs success. Nice to see Fly not scared to take as much on board as possible

Good to see… always thought he didn’t get enough (any ?) credit for the Bulldogs success in 2016 (that was the flag year, right ?)..

Good to see… always thought he didn’t get enough (any ?) credit for the Bulldogs success in 2016 (that was the flag year, right ?)..
I think I heard he was a bit “old school” in his approach and the younger players at the Dogs didnt like it. Obviously without realising how much he fast tracked their development.

You could ask how did his mum go to Marcellin?

That’s a great point, but as I went to a co-ed it doesn’t really occur to me to ponder whether elite schools are/were boys only or otherwise. I’m definitely no member of the illuminati.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We shouldn't be drinking our own bath water just because we made a prelim. If someone with fresh eyes can challenge the preconceived notions of our coaches to take other considerations, it is welcome.

Clearly Fly has learned to value the opinions of others as part of his off-season development. Half the issue with Buckley as senior coach is he became stuck in his ways and surrounded himself with yes men despite evidence to the contrary that his "my way or the highway" style wasn't working.
I agree. We can't let making a prelim blind us to the need to improve significantly just to achieve the same result.
Getting more points of view & input is an excellent idea.

That’s a great point, but as I went to a co-ed it doesn’t really occur to me to ponder whether elite schools are/were boys only or otherwise. I’m definitely no member of the illuminati.
Marcellin elite? Think you need to raise your standards.

Think thats reasonable I just think on what Mihcheks done he would have been into the AFL team quite quickly if he was recruited younger. He never got that chance but as soon as he did he was immediately locked in best 22.
Immediately is probably a bit of a furphy. He had to bide his time in the VFL for nearly half a season before getting a gig, and then it was only because they changed his position to suit team balance.
Whether or not he would have made it in the AFL if he was recruited younger is anyone’s guess. He could have potentially been recruited as a defender and been an almost but not quite type like Frampton for several years before being tried in a different position, also much like Frampton.

It’s all very much speculation of course, and I really don’t see the point of you bringing up the same concerns, over and over and over again about him. He’s at Collingwood now, from all reports is impressing everyone who watches him at training, and will very likely line up in round 1. At this point there’s no point in searching for reasons why he won’t make it. Best to just see how he performs in the preseason games/early rounds before making any judgements on whether or not he’s going to be an AFL quality key defender for us.

You and your opponents have combined to paint you into a corner where your only hope to retain any BF credibility is if Frampton is a bust.

If Billy plays more than 10 games for us, your position as a moderator will be untenable.
Lmao at the angry emoji you copped from someone who’s obviously oblivious to yours and GC’s friendship.

Were they co-ed at one stage? I know from a few ex-students at the golf club Marcellin was originally on Canterbury Rd near Camberwell.
I was at Camberwell for 5 years then Bulleen for another 5. Were not co ed as such but the answer would never happen anymore. Our Ladys in Heidelberg was the sister school and they didnt offer sciences to the girls in year 12, plenty of home economics though.

So if you wanted to do sciences at Our Ladys you came to Marcellin for year 12. Each year around 10 girls arrived to do year 12. Strange as it sounds worked really well and a lot of girls became lifetime members of the post school catch ups etc. Obviously Lippa's parents took it even further. Lucky we had that lack of progressive attitudes back then so Lippa was produced and is at the Pies.

Immediately is probably a bit of a furphy. He had to bide his time in the VFL for nearly half a season before getting a gig, and then it was only because they changed his position to suit team balance.
Whether or not he would have made it in the AFL if he was recruited younger is anyone’s guess. He could have potentially been recruited as a defender and been an almost but not quite type like Frampton for several years before being tried in a different position, also much like Frampton.

It’s all very much speculation of course, and I really don’t see the point of you bringing up the same concerns, over and over and over again about him. He’s at Collingwood now, from all reports is impressing everyone who watches him at training, and will very likely line up in round 1. At this point there’s no point in searching for reasons why he won’t make it. Best to just see how he performs in the preseason games/early rounds before making any judgements on whether or not he’s going to be an AFL quality key defender for us.
Exactly. We used a late third round pick for Frampton, likely 55-65. Teams were passing on those picks last year! If he plays a handful of games and provides depth cover it's a win. We should be happy with a Lynden Dunn like outcome, not expecting the next James Clement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back