Training Training Reports and Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

Bnf votes are for best on ground each game are they not? I doubt it would be unusual for a role player that the coaches value to not get any votes, those are being taken by the top 10 players on the list as a general rule, with the lower ranked players getting votes in outlier games where they had a blinder by their usual standards. So I’m not sure you will feature more highly if you’re just playing your role well tbh, rather than having a stand out game.

Edit: for clarity, I’m not arguing WHE should be in the 22. He’s not listed in the one I posted earlier. I think that he’s on the way to being pushed out with the new additions and the talented kids coming through, but I’m just saying that what he brought to the table the last few years was obviously valued by the coaching staff given he was never dropped.

You get points just for playing. Then based on how the coaches saw you filled the specific role given and metrics you get more points.
That's why there is sometimes a disparity between say the punters list of top 12 players for the years and coaches votes.

I think whe will continue to get games as I'm not sure there is a replacement ready better then him atm. The argument I guess is development player vs more games into a known commodity.

If we are to be a better side this season we need to see a player like WHE being overtaken by others, who are playing better football and keeping him out of the side. He's been a good servant, never really starred, while often almost taking mark of the day or kicking goal of the day, but never quite pulling it off or putting four great quarters together. He has had good moments or passages and his run has been important at times, but it is definitely time for others to stand up.

If we are to be a better side this season we need to see a player like WHE being overtaken by others, who are playing better football and keeping him out of the side. He's been a good servant, never really starred, while often almost taking mark of the day or kicking goal of the day, but never quite pulling it off or putting four great quarters together. He has had good moments or passages and his run has been important at times, but it is definitely time for others to stand up.
Age seems to be catching up occasionally so let's hope some youngsters step up.

Personally I don't see WHE in the starting forward line. I can see him on the bench or in the Sub role given his versatility. It's not a slight on him to say I hope some younger players push him out.
If he's picked he need to play most of the game - no sense having someone whose one wood is the ability to run all day warming the pine.

If he's picked he need to play most of the game - no sense having someone whose one wood is the ability to run all day warming the pine.
Your post makes sense. However, preseason has been about a role in the back line. Something is going on with that. Above my pay grade but yet to see a good explanation. I assumed NDacois would move to the midfield/forward role so this was replacing his kicking talent down back. Another option would be based on we have more replacement forwards than backs. This latter theory would cement him as depth and suggest the coaches view him in that manner, rather than best 22/3.

I don't think that means much tbh. It doesn't stop him being picked each week when fit. There's something the coaches are seeing that most of us punters don't and I think the answer is in his distance covered stats and running patterns. Add his flexibility to play most flank roles and I reckon he'll feature a lot again this season.
The coaches shifting his role this preseason might say a bit about how highly they rated the role he played last year.

He was safe last year, but we had no depth. When we were fully fit, Bianco was only one injury out of the team. With the addition of 4 senior players, plus a couple of others likely to push up, he could be in a bit of trouble

Your post makes sense. However, preseason has been about a role in the back line. Something is going on with that. Above my pay grade but yet to see a good explanation. I assumed NDacois would move to the midfield/forward role so this was replacing his kicking talent down back. Another option would be based on we have more replacement forwards than backs. This latter theory would cement him as depth and suggest the coaches view him in that manner, rather than best 22/3.
Agree with you about WHE being depth now, I'd prefer we give Reef a good run at the leading forward role and I'd prefer IQ, Noble, Pendles, Crisp for run /carry/disposal out of D50. I certainly don't see WHE suited to the sub role, I'd prefer a more dynamic player there, say Harrison, McCreery, Hill, Markov, I'd even have Carmichael before WHE as the sub.

The last few posts regarding WHE have given me pause for thought. This is why I like BF.
Initially I thought he would probably feature in the first few rounds given we have reasonably challenging opponents across the first 4 matches and may lean towards an experienced line up. However when putting together a best 23 he ended up as my sub. Reef’s performance also clouds his position a bit. Interesting.

The last few posts regarding WHE have given me pause for thought. This is why I like BF.
Initially I thought he would probably feature in the first few rounds given we have reasonably challenging opponents across the first 4 matches and may lean towards an experienced line up. However when putting together a best 23 he ended up as my sub. Reef’s performance also clouds his position a bit. Interesting.
Not just Reef's performance. McStay in probably means Elliott plays higher more often - spending a fair bit of time in WHEs forward role. Then you've got McCreery, Lipinski and Hill with the ability to spend some time chopping out on the wings, like WHE did when not playing as a forward. Hence the preseason move to defence. I think he'll need injuries or a lift in performance to be a regular.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not just Reef's performance. McStay in probably means Elliott plays higher more often - spending a fair bit of time in WHEs forward role. Then you've got McCreery, Lipinski and Hill with the ability to spend some time chopping out on the wings, like WHE did when not playing as a forward. Hence the preseason move to defence. I think he'll need injuries or a lift in performance to be a regular.
On the injury side the only clear best 22 missing currently in Ginnivan. Its unlikely we will have such good availability during most of the season so the 23 we pick now, which becomes a difficult squeeze, will probably have a few spots open up for most matches this year.

On the injury side the only clear best 22 missing currently in Ginnivan. Its unlikely we will have such good availability during most of the season so the 23 we pick now, which becomes a difficult squeeze, will probably have a few spots open up for most matches this year.
Which, of course, is why we need depth.
Is Oscar ready to be a No.1 ruck?
Of course not, but if Cameron & Cox go down, we'll need him to have a go.
He's an example of quality depth who could be our No.1 ruck in a few years.

Not sure if this the right thread to post it in but it's something a pair have been getting up to over the off-season/pre-season training. Pre-season training surely involves media???

A really good podcast with two players who don't receive the attention they deserve.

PRIME PODDY WITH JOSH CARMICHAEL AND BEAU MCCREERY

• Beau didn't take footy that seriously until his dad asked him if he'd rather dig holes or kick a Sherrin
  • Josh never expected to make the AFL but said by focusing on his game and being professional, his draft prospects rose.
  • Culture has really changed to be a much more relaxed environment
  • Collingwood is a family club - no worries if you need to pick the kids up from school, partner has an emergency, etc
  • Off-field the club is very connected
  • Their first pay cheques were spent on a leg tattoo (Beau) and clothes (Josh).
  • Beau's role is very much to apply pressure: that's why he was drafted.
  • Beau's knowledge of AFL players is limited.
  • Beau almost cried after the Preliminary Final.
  • The car crash occurred as a car was stopped at 0, they were driving at the speed limit and chatting.
  • They called the club straight away and changed out of their uniforms.
  • Carmichael wasn't named as sub as the club felt he may have been slightly "rocked" .
  • McCreery was named as it would have created more of a headline than what it was worth.
  • Bobby Hill's excitement extends to the playing group.
  • Dan McStay "clunks" - in other words, he's marking.
  • Billy Frampton is very strong and can bench press the most at the club
  • Tommy has helped with Carmichael's craft and has taken the time with most young players (so he's helping with clearances and coaching while Hawthorn pays a chunk of his salary).
  • Carmichael is keen to play being fit and in the know of what's on at Collingwood. Actually understanding the game will be a big plus.
  • His two goals against Essendon was largely because he had no idea where to stand but it worked as chaos play was our game.
  • The escape from footy is so important.
  • Beau would like to get into property investment.
  • Josh is studying mental health so wants to help young athletes.
  • Diet has become a big focus for Josh.
  • In Queensland, Josh wanted to go to the theme parks until he realised it wasn't a good idea.
  • Beau focuses on mental health far more now he's an athlete.
  • From Prag on Reddit, Beau mentioned he is looking forward to round one "because of the bad blood with Geelong, because "someone" has left the club". Didn't mention the "someone" but I think we all know who that is.

Entering the rumour mill stage: I don't think the exit was smooth and I don't think he'll have many friends left at the club. The only player he seemed close with was Nick Daicos.

Not sure if this the right thread to post it in but it's something a pair have been getting up to over the off-season/pre-season training. Pre-season training surely involves media???

A really good podcast with two players who don't receive the attention they deserve.

PRIME PODDY WITH JOSH CARMICHAEL AND BEAU MCCREERY

• Beau didn't take footy that seriously until his dad asked him if he'd rather dig holes or kick a Sherrin
  • Josh never expected to make the AFL but said by focusing on his game and being professional, his draft prospects rose.
  • Culture has really changed to be a much more relaxed environment
  • Collingwood is a family club - no worries if you need to pick the kids up from school, partner has an emergency, etc
  • Off-field the club is very connected
  • Their first pay cheques were spent on a leg tattoo (Beau) and clothes (Josh).
  • Beau's role is very much to apply pressure: that's why he was drafted.
  • Beau's knowledge of AFL players is limited.
  • Beau almost cried after the Preliminary Final.
  • The car crash occurred as a car was stopped at 0, they were driving at the speed limit and chatting.
  • They called the club straight away and changed out of their uniforms.
  • Carmichael wasn't named as sub as the club felt he may have been slightly "rocked" .
  • McCreery was named as it would have created more of a headline than what it was worth.
  • Bobby Hill's excitement extends to the playing group.
  • Dan McStay "clunks" - in other words, he's marking.
  • Billy Frampton is very strong and can bench press the most at the club
  • Tommy has helped with Carmichael's craft and has taken the time with most young players (so he's helping with clearances and coaching while Hawthorn pays a chunk of his salary).
  • Carmichael is keen to play being fit and in the know of what's on at Collingwood. Actually understanding the game will be a big plus.
  • His two goals against Essendon was largely because he had no idea where to stand but it worked as chaos play was our game.
  • The escape from footy is so important.
  • Beau would like to get into property investment.
  • Josh is studying mental health so wants to help young athletes.
  • Diet has become a big focus for Josh.
  • In Queensland, Josh wanted to go to the theme parks until he realised it wasn't a good idea.
  • Beau focuses on mental health far more now he's an athlete.
  • From Prag on Reddit, Beau mentioned he is looking forward to round one "because of the bad blood with Geelong, because "someone" has left the club". Didn't mention the "someone" but I think we all know who that is.

Entering the rumour mill stage: I don't think the exit was smooth and I don't think he'll have many friends left at the club. The only player he seemed close with was Nick Daicos.

Nice addition - thanks, KS!

(A lot in there, but like hearing again how helpful Mitchell is with younger players).

Surprising no-one :p

TBH I think that will all fizzle out, Geelong will likely win and "someone" will kick 1-2 goals and whatever. I'm not being a downer, just realistic at this time of the year. I'll take great pleasure in us winning at a pointier end of the season and keeping "someone" to 0 goals after he's subbed out in Q2 with "soreness"...

Surprising no-one :p

TBH I think that will all fizzle out, Geelong will likely win and "someone" will kick 1-2 goals and whatever. I'm not being a downer, just realistic at this time of the year. I'll take great pleasure in us winning at a pointier end of the season and keeping "someone" to 0 goals after he's subbed out in Q2 with "soreness"...
“Someone” is likely to be targeted by one B. Maynard as soon as he gets within touching distance of the ball and then hide in the shadows for the rest of the game. Not expecting him to cause us any significant problems tbh, and I don’t think the hype coming out of Geelong about him is doing him any favours from a mental pressure perspective.

“Someone” is likely to be targeted by one B. Maynard as soon as he gets within touching distance of the ball and then hide in the shadows for the rest of the game. Not expecting him to cause us any significant problems tbh, and I don’t think the hype coming out of Geelong about him is doing him any favours from a mental pressure perspective.
Yeah, I mean, I can't see him developing so much in one pre-season that he's suddenly a big threat to our backline.

(Psst, Oli, he's changed to number 4... good luck, champ).

Nice addition - thanks, KS!

(A lot in there, but like hearing again how helpful Mitchell is with younger players).
The rebirth in the popularity of podcasts has meant AFL players, particularly those fringe or lesser known stars, are getting to share their story and we all know Collingwood sells.

The coaches shifting his role this preseason might say a bit about how highly they rated the role he played last year.

He was safe last year, but we had no depth. When we were fully fit, Bianco was only one injury out of the team. With the addition of 4 senior players, plus a couple of others likely to push up, he could be in a bit of trouble

Alternatively, it might say they rated him that highly that even though he may be squeezed from the forward line they still want him in the 22 so they're exploring alternate roles. Did go back to a forward-wing in the 2nd half unless I'm mistaken. I think (barring injury) he'll get more games in 2023 than some here seem to anticipate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back