Training Training Reports - Current report, Monday 13th February, Post #1427

Remove this Banner Ad

No, it's the gibberish and slurred words in your posts that make us think of Robbo. ;)

I will attempt to be more atriculate in the fuschia.

Yeah, I understand how it would make you feel dirty being compared to that fat drunken pig. Even if you are a fat drunken pig, you would be OUR fat drunken pig and as such revered eternally. But I very much doubt you are like that as your reports indicate a considerable degree of intelligence, something not often found amid the footy journalists fraternity.

Well, I am neither fat or a drunk, but if I was, I appreciate the fact that you would accept me anyway :D:rainbow:

To be honest, I have half expected to see variations of my or others training reports turning up on SuperFooty or RealFooty, but then I realised, most of those guys wouldn't understand many of the big words that I/We use such as 'Ball' 'Drill' 'the' etc, never mind the multi-syllabic words.

The great things of summer; beer, good air-conditioning, cricket, catching up with friends, retro month on Rage and the Axeman's training reports.

Thank you!

Thanks again Axe. Sure will miss your info, and hope someone else can keep us up to date with what's happening.
I have thought for a while that we have some very promising talent coming through the ranks, so, maybe this year we will get a reasonable look at some more. Last year we only had glimpses - Clarko teased us when ever we thought about losing Mitch., Lewis, Hodge, Burgers, Gibson all so soon after Hale and Lake had gone, with only a snippit of a new kid - Lovell, Stewart and Heatherley made brief appearances. However, 2017 could be the preview of our future.

Thanks again mate.

Today's session was a bit different, not as easy to pick the outstanding performers as there were lots of different groups doing varying drills around the ground, so today's report might be a little light on for info, but I will give you what I've got.

There was a 15 minute match simulation that made for great viewing, approx 15 players per side. The match was played with a high intensity, some good hard hits and strong tackling. Lovell (playing for the yellow team) was matching up against Stewart (playing for the brown team) in the middle and it was a great battle between two guys that I personally think are a big part of our future midfield. Those two guys were pretty much in everything, Lovell's clearance work was excellent and Stewart's will to get to the ball first (which he did) and to throw himself into contests was Langford like.

Billy Hartung was in amongst the action, going into the centre square and doing some good work, so he is obviously over whatever injury he had.

After the last few sessions I am thinking that Ricky Henderson may turn out to be more than just a handy depth player. He gets his hands on the ball a lot and uses it really well.

Ryan Burton was Hodge like playing the loose man in defence, mopping up effortlessly, looking like he has all the time and space in the world. Sublime kicking to his teammates (except for one kick that went out on the full but we'll let that slide...)

Nash's closing speed is exceptional. Twice in a row he spoiled Smith's attempts to mark, demonstrating speed and ability to read where the ball was going.

Tom Mitchell was busy being a ball magnet, Rough was running through the midfield and into the forward line, looking like he hasn't missed a beat.

Teia Miles ability to read the play and outsmart his opponent is excellent, as is his disposal.

Max Bailey had a small group off to the side doing various ball related drills fo rthe whole session. The group consisted of Whitecross, O'Rourke, Lewis, Surman, Howe, Hardwick and Cousins.

Jaegar trained away from the group, spent a lot of time kicking off both sides to a coach about 30 to 40 metres away, then was having shots at goal from all over the 50 meter area, off both feet, drilled them all. Don't think he is injured as he didn't appear to have any issues moving around. Might just be reducing his workload for a while.

That's all I've got, but will add anything else I can think off or remember.

That will (most likely) be all from me for this preseason, so thanks for reading and bring on the real stuff.

Cheers,
The Axeman.

Interested to know your opinion when watching todays match sim and previous game style training........could you tell whether there is new emphasis on keeping it in tight of the corridor, using quick handball to move it through the most direct route, or if we are still looking to spread hard as soon as the ball has been won and have players in space moving it in more uncontested fashion?

I'm hoping with the new young but hardened mids brought in, and the success of bulldogs footy last year, we'll be trying to fashion some quick brutal first use/or counter attack rather than rely on loping outside players to build methodically and switch the ball constantly from one side of the ground to the other.

Of course a mix is ideal, but wondering if we might get to see more direct footy this year.....

Interested to know your opinion when watching todays match sim and previous game style training........could you tell whether there is new emphasis on keeping it in tight of the corridor, using quick handball to move it through the most direct route, or if we are still looking to spread hard as soon as the ball has been won and have players in space moving it in more uncontested fashion?

I'm hoping with the new young but hardened mids brought in, and the success of bulldogs footy last year, we'll be trying to fashion some quick brutal first use/or counter attack rather than rely on loping outside players to build methodically and switch the ball constantly from one side of the ground to the other.

Of course a mix is ideal, but wondering if we might get to see more direct footy this year.....

Intersting. Of course, a smash it up the guts of the contest, as per Dangerwood, is very effective (and exciting). But if we can win 50% of the contests then spreading with possession may still be more effective (on the percentage) than smashing the guts. I quite like the smash-the-guts because it's so explosive that I think it overwhelms zoned defensive setups. I think it's pretty effective.

Possibly a mix the most effective, someone calling the "play" on ball up. Smash until the opposition is forced to stack in tight in order to stop the run and then switch to spread where there is more space. If we can win 50% of contests it possibly gives us enough opportunities to keep defensive setups off balance. Particularly if those setups require a call from the coach to change rather than on-field "play" calling as we seem capable of doing with our deep and experienced leadership.

I can't wait for the year to start.

Intersting. Of course, a smash it up the guts of the contest, as per Dangerwood, is very effective (and exciting). But if we can win 50% of the contests then spreading with possession may still be more effective (on the percentage) than smashing the guts. I quite like the smash-the-guts because it's so explosive that I think it overwhelms zoned defensive setups. I think it's pretty effective.

Possibly a mix the most effective, someone calling the "play" on ball up. Smash until the opposition is forced to stack in tight in order to stop the run and then switch to spread where there is more space. If we can win 50% of contests it possibly gives us enough opportunities to keep defensive setups off balance. Particularly if those setups require a call from the coach to change rather than on-field "play" calling as we seem capable of doing with our deep and experienced leadership.

I can't wait for the year to start.

Love it.

images

There has definitely been an emphasis on contested handball drills during the sessions I have attended, more so than in previous years. That is probably an indicator of the direction they are going. Interesting to note that when they do these drills where they are restricted to just hand balling, Langford is a real weapon. Several times today he went in to the contest, got the ball cleanly and got a ripper handball out to a teammate. If he can just tidy up his kicking...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There has definitely been an emphasis on contested handball drills during the sessions I have attended, more so than in previous years. That is probably an indicator of the direction they are going. Interesting to note that when they do these drills where they are restricted to just hand balling, Langford is a real weapon. Several times today he went in to the contest, got the ball cleanly and got a ripper handball out to a teammate. If he can just tidy up his kicking...
That's what we need to see from him consistently. When he does his burst puts pressure on his opponent, 2014 finals when he was doing this and realized he was fast enough the rest came good, since then he hasn't been clean often enough and that has put massive pressure on him.

Also I'm fine with him using his hands to get it out if he can hit a target that way

Just the thought of Langford getting back to decent form is awesome. Would be such a bonus for us.

On Langers, he very cerebral and I think he tends to overthink what he's doing. If he went with his instinctual quick hand pass, he'd be top 22. The boy can run and break lines, but he's work in close has always been of a good enough level. Like Steve Waugh, maybe he should remove the flashy stuff and just focus on the tagging/pack role which he plays much more instinctively.

Today's session was a bit different, not as easy to pick the outstanding performers as there were lots of different groups doing varying drills around the ground, so today's report might be a little light on for info, but I will give you what I've got.

There was a 15 minute match simulation that made for great viewing, approx 15 players per side. The match was played with a high intensity, some good hard hits and strong tackling. Lovell (playing for the yellow team) was matching up against Stewart (playing for the brown team) in the middle and it was a great battle between two guys that I personally think are a big part of our future midfield. Those two guys were pretty much in everything, Lovell's clearance work was excellent and Stewart's will to get to the ball first (which he did) and to throw himself into contests was Langford like.

Billy Hartung was in amongst the action, going into the centre square and doing some good work, so he is obviously over whatever injury he had.

After the last few sessions I am thinking that Ricky Henderson may turn out to be more than just a handy depth player. He gets his hands on the ball a lot and uses it really well.

Ryan Burton was Hodge like playing the loose man in defence, mopping up effortlessly, looking like he has all the time and space in the world. Sublime kicking to his teammates (except for one kick that went out on the full but we'll let that slide...)

Nash's closing speed is exceptional. Twice in a row he spoiled Smith's attempts to mark, demonstrating speed and ability to read where the ball was going.

Tom Mitchell was busy being a ball magnet, Rough was running through the midfield and into the forward line, looking like he hasn't missed a beat.

Teia Miles ability to read the play and outsmart his opponent is excellent, as is his disposal.

Max Bailey had a small group off to the side doing various ball related drills fo rthe whole session. The group consisted of Whitecross, O'Rourke, Lewis, Surman, Howe, Hardwick and Cousins.

Jaegar trained away from the group, spent a lot of time kicking off both sides to a coach about 30 to 40 metres away, then was having shots at goal from all over the 50 meter area, off both feet, drilled them all. Don't think he is injured as he didn't appear to have any issues moving around. Might just be reducing his workload for a while.

That will (most likely) be all from me for this preseason, so thanks for reading and bring on the real stuff.

Cheers,
The Axeman.

Nice work cobba!
Thanks for your reports & opinions!
They are always a breath of fresh air in a rather musty time of year for the footy heads.
Cheers

Cheers,
The Axeman.
I have to change my trousers

I'll add a couple of observations about today's training. First lets start with last Monday. It was hot...very hot. The session was a very tough session that went for three and a half hours. The players were buggered when they came off. Second, today's session was considerably easier.

There were two things that took my interest. In past years there has been practically no specific work done on intercept marking. Today there was a drill specifically devoted to this skill. Extending on that thought is my observation that there has been a MASSIVE improvement in taking one grab marks.

The second thing is the way Henderson is going about it. If this form continues he's a lock for the spot vacated by Hill's departure. Henderson is showing his capacity as an endurance runner, somewhat surprisingly given his reputation he wins the contested ball (that is he ain't no Clinton Young or a Lonie twin), and he disposes of the pill with beautiful kicks and accurate sharp handballs. Hes got an AFL ready body and is about Birchell's height. So Billy I reckon he's marked your card son !!

Speaking of Billy, Rats gave him a public dressing down last Wednesday. Looking at the exchange between the two of them......exchange not the correct word as Rats did the talking and Billy was trying not to trip over his bottom lip. I watched this through the bois even though they were very close to the fence on the grandstand side just near to where the players come onto the field. I think Billy has been told to step up or * off. Hence his efforts today as reported by Axman.

Some good news is that Fitzy has had a great preseason to-date, in a massive contrast with last year. The other thing about Fitzy is that last year he could only jump off his left leg so the opposition could neutralise him by blocking his left side. He can now take off from either leg which greatly improves his ability to compete in the ruck contests.

Apart from ball movement drill by foot and hand the biggest emphasis this preseason has been clearances from very congested situations. Clarko might have said in 2016 that we don't take any notice of clearance stats. Well that ain't the case in 2017

JOR was running freely today.

Axman might have faith in Langford, but I don't. He fumbles the ball which means he gets caught when he's in tight and hence scrambles his kick if he can get a foot to the ball. When he's out in more space he's still not clean when taking possession and can't hit the side (of a very big) barn with his kicks. His physical attack on the ball is commendably courageous but that's not enough in today's footy.

I'll add a couple of observations about today's training. First lets start with last Monday. It was hot...very hot. The session was a very tough session that went for three and a half hours. The players were buggered when they came off. Second, today's session was considerably easier.

There were two things that took my interest. In past years there has been practically no specific work done on intercept marking. Today there was a drill specifically devoted to this skill. Extending on that thought is my observation that there has been a MASSIVE improvement in taking one grab marks.

The second thing is the way Henderson is going about it. If this form continues he's a lock for the spot vacated by Hill's departure. Henderson is showing his capacity as an endurance runner, somewhat surprisingly given his reputation he wins the contested ball (that is he ain't no Clinton Young or a Lonie twin), and he disposes of the pill with beautiful kicks and accurate sharp handballs. Hes got an AFL ready body and is about Birchell's height. So Billy I reckon he's marked your card son !!

Speaking of Billy, Rats gave him a public dressing down last Wednesday. Looking at the exchange between the two of them......exchange not the correct word as Rats did the talking and Billy was trying not to trip over his bottom lip. I watched this through the bois even though they were very close to the fence on the grandstand side just near to where the players come onto the field. I think Billy has been told to step up or **** off. Hence his efforts today as reported by Axman.

Some good news is that Fitzy has had a great preseason to-date, in a massive contrast with last year. The other thing about Fitzy is that last year he could only jump off his left leg so the opposition could neutralise him by blocking his left side. He can now take off from either leg which greatly improves his ability to compete in the ruck contests.

Apart from ball movement drill by foot and hand the biggest emphasis this preseason has been clearances from very congested situations. Clarko might have said in 2016 that we don't take any notice of clearance stats. Well that ain't the case in 2017

JOR was running freely today.

Axman might have faith in Langford, but I don't. He fumbles the ball which means he gets caught when he's in tight and hence scrambles his kick if he can get a foot to the ball. When he's out in more space he's still not clean when taking possession and can't hit the side (of a very big) barn with his kicks. His physical attack on the ball is commendably courageous but that's not enough in today's footy.
Wow. Thanks for those comments. Each one is a piece in the puzzle!

Has anyone seen much of Schoey?

He normally attracts a bit of attention but to my recollection, he's been somewhat conspicuous by his apparent absence from both ridicule & over-optimism.

I'm hoping for an uninterrupted season to see what he really can bring - is he going OK?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back