Trent Cotchin is the 12th best player in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

He's a bit of a paradox , is Cotchin. Has only ever made one All-Australian squad (his Brownlow year), but is one of six players (with Ablett, Pendlebury, Dangerfield, Fyfe, JPK) to poll more than 400 votes in the coaches' award since 2011. Also one of nine players to poll 100+ Brownlow votes in that period.

The coaches and umpires love Cotchin, but everyone else is a bit meh towards him.

How the hell is Pendles 2nd? He's had a couple of good games but overall he's been no where near his best this year.

Dese player rankings be whack.

How the hell is Pendles 2nd? He's had a couple of good games but overall he's been no where near his best this year.

Dese player rankings be whack.

Disagree, has had a few down weeks, but in a poor side has been brilliant. Despite his early end to the year I'd be shocked if he is not All Australian.

Disagree, has had a few down weeks, but in a poor side has been brilliant. Despite his early end to the year I'd be shocked if he is not All Australian.

Only eight players have made it from 15-16 games, and three of those were in the murky inaugural year of 1991. Has he had the impact of an Ablett, Lockett, Franklin or McLeod? I don't think so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only eight players have made it from 15-16 games, and three of those were in the murky inaugural year of 1991. Has he had the impact of an Ablett, Lockett, Franklin or McLeod? I don't think so.

It wouldn't shock me. Take out Martin, Kennedy, Dangerfield, Selwood (probably), I feel as if there could be 40 mids that could make the rest of the side. If we assume Kelly will get 1 spot, and maybe a Zach Merrett, there are still quite a few mid and MID/FWD spots there. It wouldn't surprise me to see Pendles there.

I think he's been carrying some sort of injury since before the bye round. Perhaps the week off will help.

Still been extremely good in a poorly beaten side. Has been better than is given credit for.

It wouldn't shock me. Take out Martin, Kennedy, Dangerfield, Selwood (probably), I feel as if there could be 40 mids that could make the rest of the side. If we assume Kelly will get 1 spot, and maybe a Zach Merrett, there are still quite a few mid and MID/FWD spots there. It wouldn't surprise me to see Pendles there.

It would shock me.

AFLCA votes are 49 Pendlebury, 40 Adams, 36 Sidebottom, 35 Treloar. He hasn't even stood out that much at Collingwood, let alone the competition. But I'd agree that he's been generally underrated over the course of his career.

It would shock me.

AFLCA votes are 49 Pendlebury, 40 Adams, 36 Sidebottom, 35 Treloar. He hasn't even stood out that much at Collingwood, let alone the competition. But I'd agree that he's been generally underrated over the course of his career.

Each to their own, I don't feel there have been a million mids having AA seasons. I mean lets look at the top 8

Adelaide: Who is in the AA side in the midfield? Sloane would have been after 6 weeks but he's barely had 10 touches since aside from last week.
Geelong: Usual two, Danger and Selwood make it, Selwood captains the side.
GWS: Kelly maybe. Even spread.
Richmond: Martin a certainty, Cotchin a possibility.
Sydney: Kennedy. The others haven't had AA seasons.
Melbourne: Has Oliver done enough? Not sure.
Port: Winged probably makes it but they will chuck him on a HFF probably, same with Gray maybe. Ryder is the ruck.
Essendon: Merrett

Just feel it is a down year for the usual mids that is all. You could name 30 mids that are borderline, some will make it despite not having fantastic AA seasons so to speak in my personal view.

He's a bit of a paradox , is Cotchin. Has only ever made one All-Australian squad (his Brownlow year), but is one of six players (with Ablett, Pendlebury, Dangerfield, Fyfe, JPK) to poll more than 400 votes in the coaches' award since 2011. Also one of nine players to poll 100+ Brownlow votes in that period.

The coaches and umpires love Cotchin, but everyone else is a bit meh towards him.

The bigfooty groupthink pose must know better

Remove this Banner Ad

Back