Remove this Banner Ad

Prem87

Cancelled
10k Posts
Dec 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Both have been likened to Judd with their explosive pace, lateral movement and pack/tackle breaking ability.

Cotchin has shown that he will be a superstar with his games last year, but who will end up the better player and what differences in their game styles will set the Cotchin and Swift apart?

Wow, is it such an extreme point of view to compare these two? I know bigscottknowsall is extremely biased against us, so I guess I should expect no less from him, but as far as I can tell, these two both look damn good. Swift played bloody well considering he has played a handful of games and only a couple of seniors games in the last two years. To come out and look as composed as he did was a fantastic sign. What makes Cotchin so much better that the comparison is "laughable" :confused:

cotchin has had many very impressive performances in the AFL home and away season
swift has had 1 mediocre performance in a NAB cup game

I think Cotchin plays more like Ablett jnr than Judd(not saying he is or will be as good as him but his playing style is similar).

And it is too early to tell how swift will turn out.

Wow, is it such an extreme point of view to compare these two? I know bigscottknowsall is extremely biased against us, so I guess I should expect no less from him, but as far as I can tell, these two both look damn good. Swift played bloody well considering he has played a handful of games and only a couple of seniors games in the last two years. To come out and look as composed as he did was a fantastic sign. What makes Cotchin so much better that the comparison is "laughable" :confused:

Maybe because Swift has played 1 NAB cup game while Cotchin has impressed many times in 15 proper AFL games? Gee you jump the gun don't you. My grandma could impress against Collingwood in the NAB Cup. Also it's even too early to tell how Cotchin will turn out.

Uhh no what kind of moronic statement is that. I never even stated anything about Cotchin. Your own supporter linked both players to Judd.

OK, but in your post, you didn't deny his view's on Cotchin, but were happy to deny them about Swift. If you had said "comparing both of these guys to Judd is moronic", I wouldn't have replied in the way that I did.

OK, but in your post, you didn't deny his view's on Cotchin, but were happy to deny them about Swift. If you had said "comparing both of these guys to Judd is moronic", I wouldn't have replied in the way that I did.

:D You make me laugh. "Also it's even too early to tell how Cotchin will turn out." :confused:

I can start listing players too who have played 1 game and saying they are the next big thing yet I don't....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the OP was after a prediction for the future. Not something comparing them now. You know, something that requires you to look at what they are like now, extrapolate into the future and go out on a limb to make a call. It is much easier to make a call after the player has already shown their whole hand.

Suddenly after 1 NAB Cup game Swift is the next Judd?
No, after 0 games he was likened to Judd.

If you read Wisden's profile on Judd, it was very similar to his on Cotchin. They were both compared to Judd quite a lot.

Swift was likened to Judd based on his limited junior footy style, not based on this one game, his first in 12 months (and one of a handful in 2 years), where he missed a few targets and looked lost at times.

I don't understand the response to this thread... nobody is overly carried away over one NAB Cup game (like they did with Tambling), it's related to to past 2 years.

Swift was considered to be around the same class as Cotchin 2-3 years ago don't forget.

He's had his injuries, come back, and played damn well.

Personally I am devestated we didn't pick Swift at Pick 8. This thread has a lot of merit because this kid can play!

I think Cotchin plays more like Ablett jnr than Judd(not saying he is or will be as good as him but his playing style is similar).

And it is too early to tell how swift will turn out.

I agree, Cotchin is nothing like Judd. He has Ablett all over him though.

The only young player who has a similar body structure to Judd is Myers at the moment (doesn't play anything like him though).

Lol at people saying Cotchin has done things... Cotchin has played half a good game... Swift has played one good game albiet a NAB game... It's not that to compare... I have seen more from Swift so far

Cotchin has shown just a little, not alot.

What he has shown is good. Good decision making for a first year and reasonably good disposal.

What makes me like Cotchin is that the characteristics he displays show he may have quite a bit of potential, if he improves things which should be part of any players development (work rate, size, fitness etc.).

Difficult to compare the two.

Swift has missed two years of football, having only played 2 games at colt level in that time.

Therefore it is suitably impressive that in his 1st AFL (albeit NAN Cup) game (especially considering lack of support plus the dominance of Collingwood) and 3rd game in two years he performed so well.

Read the play well, had good composure and excellent hands.

It's to early to tell anything yet, indeed one/two seasons in 99% of cases is to early.

I will go out on a limb and say if he continues to improve, he may develop some similar characteristics to that of Joel Sellwood (though Swift may end up being more athletic though who knows about his disposal by foot), not because of the injury but a young player who is good under pressure, composed and can get a decent amount of the footy (but really that's a hopeful guess not a comparison based on one game).

I certainly wouldn't compare Cotchin to Ablett or Judd.

That said hopefully both have and develop their own unique qualities, but it is to early to make any comparisons for either though it is fun to speculate, which seems to be the aim of the OP.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back