Player Watch Tyler Brown (Delisted 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Think he will be fighting for a spot with Wills and Seir unless where prepared to play 2 of these kids in the guts, can't imagine either of the 3 being an option for a forward/mid role.

Think he will be fighting for a spot with Wills and Seir unless where prepared to play 2 of these kids in the guts, can't imagine either of the 3 being an option for a forward/mid role.
Can Tyler play back? I haven’t seen enough of him but I’m thinking maybe a Greenwood type role with bouts as an inside midfielder.

Saw this posted in the media thread but thought it deserved to be posted here.

Bloody good leap on him, I can see why people make the Fyfe comparison. Hopefully we see him again in the preseason comp as well as getting a few games in the senior side this year.

Always wonder how much hip range as opposed to leap contributes to these but still, looking good

Always wonder how much hip range as opposed to leap contributes to these but still, looking good
That is impressive,ode to be that young and supple.

How much more bulk does he need to be competitive in the guts it would be good to get him in there,in 4 yrs time it will be nice to have a combination of Sier,T Brown,Macinnes and N Daicos all big lads who can compete size wise with most mids.

Looking forward to that.

Can Tyler play back? I haven’t seen enough of him but I’m thinking maybe a Greenwood type role with bouts as an inside midfielder.

Played HB in his 1st season of VFL and did okay. Spots in the defensive group could be harder to come by than in the midfield though. I think they'll look to an outside mid role or wing while he continues to develop.

(with a little humour)

Let him play skinny.
there was this guy, Gavin someone, skinny as a rake. Went alright.

(great memories)
Gavin when he played skinny was not a good player, it when he baulked up that he became a gun, I remember Gavin being a bit of a whipping boy in his first couple of years because he was getting games and not producing

Gavin when he played skinny was not a good player, it when he baulked up that he became a gun, I remember Gavin being a bit of a whipping boy in his first couple of years because he was getting games and not producing

Not sure Rowdy ever baulked anything.

Saw this posted in the media thread but thought it deserved to be posted here.

Bloody good leap on him, I can see why people make the Fyfe comparison. Hopefully we see him again in the preseason comp as well as getting a few games in the senior side this year.

Took a Huge Specky in RD 1 of the VFL Last Year

Thought Tyler be more on the Wing then as a Inside Mid

That's not how I remember it. He was very highly thought of right from the start. He played for Victoria in his debut season then by his third season won our B&F and won the Ted Whitten medal as BOG for Victoria. Jet!!!

He was never as skinny as Tyler either. When he came out of the under 19s in 87 he was about the equivalent size to Rantall now, but he did bulk up a lot over the next couple of years..

That's not how I remember it. He was very highly thought of right from the start. He played for Victoria in his debut season then by his third season won our B&F and won the Ted Whitten medal as BOG for Victoria. Jet!!!

He was never as skinny as Tyler either. When he came out of the under 19s in 87 he was about the equivalent size to Rantall now, but he did bulk up a lot over the next couple of years..
I do agree that it didn't take him long to become a fantastic player. However, though it says on Wikipedia (and probably elsewhere) that he played for Victoria in his debut season that doesn't seem to be correct.

This is from the old AFL Historical Statistics website (Collingwood 1987 Player List page), and shows his entry, with 0 State/Origin games played by the end of that year:
1579751536855.png
1579751576444.png

1579752124573.png
1579751841655.png
^ This is from the 1988 page, and shows he played 1 game for Victoria that year.

The lineups (for the two SoO games played by Victoria in 1987) are shown in the 1988 VFL Year Book, and Collingwood had no representatives in the Victorian team.

I don't think he played soO in his first year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You must have been watching some other Gavin mate. Even as a whippet young Rowdy was taking on 2's and 3's and winning contests against everyone.

Ditto, but you still have to do it I guess! Out of all our kids Keane and T Brown are the two that I’m most excited to see get a taste in 2020.

I think you are mixing that up with his pre Collingwood years. My brother played with him and SOS at Marcellin. Browny played in the firsts from year 10 and my brother reckons he was skilful but skinny and not yet dominant. SOS was always dominant even as a underager. Brown grew up after he got to Collingwood U19’s. Was slender but good from his senior get go.

One of his mates from those days reckons he was just crazy fanatical as a kid. Tells a story of going to Gav’s one Saturday night before they went out. His mum sent him up to Gav’s room. He could hear the exercise bike revving away as he opened the door and wasn’t surprised that Brown was working out before a Saturday night out. Was surprised to find him lying on the floor holding a pedal in each hand and working like fury.

I had a pic of Gavin and he was nothing like Rantall is now, he was skinny as hell but i'm not sure what age he was at the time. It was a newspaper cut out actually.

1581646552052.png

Seeing this photo and hearing that he played through the midfield at Kardinia Park yesterday has me more than a little excited for what the year might hold. As it stands he's clearly not best 22 but here's hoping he will be by years end.

View attachment 822672

Seeing this photo and hearing that he played through the midfield at Kardinia Park yesterday has me more than a little excited for what the year might hold. As it stands he's clearly not best 22 but here's hoping he will be by years end.
Starter in the VFL but if he can find more of the ball, he’ll find himself in the team pretty quickly imo. He’s a slow burner but gee he gets me excited.

Like I’ve said before they need to bring him in to the seniors at some point mid to late in the season and start him off as the 22nd player picked... the bench player who plays only 60% game time. Sier and C Brown are others to have started off this way, giving them time to build

He will have his quiet games along the way but the bigger picture is that he has the attributes so we are better off accelerating his development rather than conservatively have him sit in the VFL for too long

View attachment 822672

Could play/Debut round 1 with a Strong Showing in Pre-Season Games

Remove this Banner Ad

Back