Player Watch Tyler Brown (Delisted 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually really liked his competitiveness in the air. I’m not sure if I like the idea of rolling him out as second ruck every week - but if there’s a role for him to use his surprisingly decent aerial competitiveness, I’m all for it.
I noticed that, if he could have clunked a few we be having more of this conversation. He didn’t though but looked likely when he went.

I don't think they will. Cameron to continue in first ruck with Tyler chopping him out around the ground. The medium talls did really well in those hotspot forward contests yesterday - much better than what you'd get from Begg when playing forward. Plus around the ground, Tyler did a lot better in marking contests than we were getting from Begg.

Agree.

Left field suggestion, select Roughead as a ruck/forward

You know your struggling when you have close to your best game five years in as a s**t truck second ruck! The guy literally has no ceiling as a best 22 player.

Has he ever played forward for an extended time? flew for some marks on the weekend and looked show some potential over head. Maybe a HF role. Just doesnt get enough ball to play midfield nor does he gain much territory when he does get it.

You know your struggling when you have close to your best game five years in as a s**t truck second ruck! The guy literally has no ceiling as a best 22 player.
Im a little bemused at all the praise that Tyler is getting for this game. For me this was a pretty typical AFL game from him. Yes he did a few nice things on the inside, made some good tackles, but didnt really do enough, but thats what he always does.

It has me beat why the 12 disposal 6 tackle 2 clearance game against Freo has earned such praise, where the 13 disposal 5 tackle and 2 clearance game against the Bulldogs, and the 14 disposal 6 tackle and 3 clearance game against the Tigers earned such opprobium...

I'll reiterate, I actually like Tyler, I think he does have some AFL traits and his inside game has a lot of promise, his clean hands and handball feeds are really good, and he tackles with determination and prevents opposition clearances well. But thats all he has, and a series of games where he cant even get into the teens let alone the 20s isnt good enough. OTOH, he did play 2 ripper games in the VFL earlier this year, a 26 disposal game game against GWS and 28 vs Essendon, and those two games were a very significant improvement. It's not as if Tyler has always dominated in the VFL, indeed most of his VFL form has been like his AFL form, patches of nice play but not enough. Indeed as an U18 he was a low possession flanker who again did some nice things but was not a consistent ball magnet; so getting high 20 disposals in the VFL is a major improvement. In my view his development is best served by a month in the VFL, where he can develop the things he lacks in the AFL: an outside game, linking, kicking, leading for the footy, marking (he actually has a nice leap and Ive seen him take some speccies in the VFL, but again, not enough); Tyler needs ways to find the footuy other than in the middle of a pack. He also needs to build his confidence. Nick Daicos bloody well expects to get 25 possessions when he plays a game of footy, Tyler expects to get 12

Im a little bemused at all the praise that Tyler is getting for this game. For me this was a pretty typical AFL game from him. Yes he did a few nice things on the inside, made some good tackles, but didnt really do enough, but thats what he always does.

It has me beat why the 12 disposal 6 tackle 2 clearance game against Freo has earned such praise, where the 13 disposal 5 tackle and 2 clearance game against the Bulldogs, and the 14 disposal 6 tackle and 3 clearance game against the Tigers earned such opprobium...

I'll reiterate, I actually like Tyler, I think he does have some AFL traits and his inside game has a lot of promise, his clean hands and handball feeds are really good, and he tackles with determination and prevents opposition clearances well. But thats all he has, and a series of games where he cant even get into the teens let alone the 20s isnt good enough. OTOH, he did play 2 ripper games in the VFL earlier this year, a 26 disposal game game against GWS and 28 vs Essendon, and those two games were a very significant improvement. It's not as if Tyler has always dominated in the VFL, indeed most of his VFL form has been like his AFL form, patches of nice play but not enough. Indeed as an U18 he was a low possession flanker who again did some nice things but was not a consistent ball magnet; so getting high 20 disposals in the VFL is a major improvement. In my view his development is best served by a month in the VFL, where he can develop the things he lacks in the AFL: an outside game, linking, kicking, leading for the footy, marking (he actually has a nice leap and Ive seen him take some speccies in the VFL, but again, not enough); Tyler needs ways to find the footuy other than in the middle of a pack. He also needs to build his confidence. Nick Daicos bloody well expects to get 25 possessions when he plays a game of footy, Tyler expects to get 12

For me, it's that all of his stats came in the second half in a different role where he suddenly started to attack the footy consistently rather than standing around flat-footed. It was the first time that he's shown consistent intent for any length of time (other than the recent VFL games that you're talking about). And when he shows intent, he looks good.

Plus when we win, mediocre games get praised, whereas when we lose, mediocre games cop derision - it's just the way it is.

Has he ever played forward for an extended time? flew for some marks on the weekend and looked show some potential over head. Maybe a HF role. Just doesnt get enough ball to play midfield nor does he gain much territory when he does get it.
I wouldn’t have him ahead of any of the guys that played forward on Sunday plus HH, McInnes or Johnson because I don’t see him ever being a 1+ goal a game guy. The bolded is really the crux of it because he just doesn’t do enough.

My take on the positivity is the above expectations performance in an unfamiliar role. The thing is it’s unsustainable. You aren’t playing him in that role v anyone when we have a half fit compliment of ruckman.

I agree with pretty much all of the analysis on his game. He has some nice traits, but they count for nothing at senior level because he’s poor by position (he’s ranked below average in every statistical category for a mid). The block of consistent footy at VFL level has some merit although I’m personally at a point where the shock would be if it ever translates to consistent 20+ possession outings as a senior mid.

That’s the benchmark for every midfielder and I think he keeps getting senior time more out of the hope that it clicks plus a lack of competition than any belief that he’ll ever figure it out…

Reminds me of the game Rupert Wills played second ruck. Tyler is at least better competing in the air but we’re really scraping the bottom of the barrel here.

That’s the benchmark for every midfielder and I think he keeps getting senior time more out of the hope that it clicks plus a lack of competition than any belief that he’ll ever figure it out…
QFT, particularly the lack of competition, the inside mid cupboard is well and truly bare on our list. The only other hopes are McInnes and Draper, neither of whom are playing much in the midfield in the VFL.

I had high hopes when we drafted McInnes, and there is no doubt he plays with intensity and is tough, big and fast. His forward craft has impressed me, he certainly knows when to lead at the footy. His craft as an inside mid impresses me less. He seems worryingly fumbly below the knees - ya cant play inside mid if you arent clean. Nonetheless he isnt going to develop midfield craft playing most of the game on the forward line

All the pre-draft write ups commented on how good Draper was in clearances and contested work. His slow start to the season is understandable due to his pre-season injury. He hasnt found much of the footy on the half back flank, but he does seems very calm, clean and composed under pressure

The sooner these two get some significant midfield time in the VFL the better. Lets see what they got.

TB is a point and shoot type, so I’d give him a tagging role this week.
Put him to the sword and let’s see if he can stop or nullify Cripps.
He’s now got the body to match Cripps, so it would be an interesting experiment.

If it doesn’t work we can give the job back to Pendles.

QFT, particularly the lack of competition, the inside mid cupboard is well and truly bare on our list. The only other hopes are McInnes and Draper, neither of whom are playing much in the midfield in the VFL.

I had high hopes when we drafted McInnes, and there is no doubt he plays with intensity and is tough, big and fast. His forward craft has impressed me, he certainly knows when to lead at the footy. His craft as an inside mid impresses me less. He seems worryingly fumbly below the knees - ya cant play inside mid if you arent clean. Nonetheless he isnt going to develop midfield craft playing most of the game on the forward line

All the pre-draft write ups commented on how good Draper was in clearances and contested work. His slow start to the season is understandable due to his pre-season injury. He hasnt found much of the footy on the half back flank, but he does seems very calm, clean and composed under pressure

The sooner these two get some significant midfield time in the VFL the better. Lets see what they got.
We also have McCrae and Harrison as future mids.
But agree McInnes needs to be stepping up.

We also have McCrae and Harrison as future mids.
But agree McInnes needs to be stepping up.

I was really focussing on inside mids in that post above

Macrae looks like an outside linker to me rather than inside, he is clean and his handball feeds are creative but he is far too passive in the contest - far more Tarkyn Lockyer or Steel Sidebottom or Patrick Lipinski than Taylor Adams

Harrison is an interesting one. I like him too, he cracks in hard and his pace is blistering, but at 178 cm he would need to be extraordinarily good to compete with beasts like the Bont, Oliver, Wines etc I see him much more as a half forward who would have occasional bursts in the middle rather than a card carrying full time midfielder

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Macrae looks like an outside linker to me rather than inside, he is clean and his handball feeds are creative but he is far too passive in the contest - far more Tarkyn Lockyer or Steel Sidebottom or Patrick Lipinski than Taylor Adams

Harrison is an interesting one. I like him too, he cracks in hard and his pace is blistering, but at 178 cm he would need to be extraordinarily good to compete with beasts like the Bont, Oliver, Wines etc I see him much more as a half forward who would have occasional bursts in the middle rather than a card carrying full time midfielder
Not too worried about hight as long as we got a good mix that complements each other. Lachie Neale is 177 and Jack Viney is 178.

I have to agree. I made comment in the pre-match thread that the progression from our VFL mids (Murley aside) hasn’t been ideal, IMO.

Perhaps Draper and McInnes are being positionally managed based on their ability to run out games, but neither is going to have an Oliver/ Cripps/ JDG/ Green style impact early. Nothing wrong with that because it’s the exception rather than the norm I was just hopeful because along with Daicos and Lipinski it would have provided 3 long term best 22 midfield pieces in one season.

Going into the reeds here a little, but it makes for an interesting trade and draft period with JDG not being the midfield difference maker we’d hoped for (despite having a great year). Do we or don’t we on his contract in order to get two looks inside the top 10?.. I won’t be critical unless they go with a Moore/ Grundy style contract. T Brown gets the chop for mine.

Macrae's issue is that he just isn't a good enough runner to play as an outside mid. He's a bit of an in-betweener - his football is more suited to the outside, but he's physically more suited to the inside. Needs to re-invent himself, which I think the club is attempting by trying to turn him into an inside mid - as he's going to be a big boy, but it's going to take a fair while and there's a fair chance it doesn't work.

Last edited:

Harrison is 181cm on AFL app so it disagrees with Footywire.
But agree his pace is elite and best used as an outside mid.
McCrae for me is too slow for outside mid but has a similar size to wines etc as an inside mid after he adds bulk.

Macrae's issue is that he just isn't a good enough runner to play as an outside mid. He's a bit of an in-betweener - his football is more suited to the outside, but he's physically more suited to the inside. Needs to re-invent himself, which I think the club is attempting by trying to turn him into an inside mid - as he's going to be a big boy, but it's going to take a fair while and there's a fair chance it doesn't work.

his brother is 192cm....

Tylers game on the weekend was okay for a wet weather performance. He was given far more time in the midfield in the second half and it showed with 10 touches in a half. Overall his performance wasnt anything great. But it wasnt bad either. He showed a few nice traits again such as being able to stand up in a tackle and dish off under pressure. He also showed that he could be an aerial threat with that leap. He is still working out the game and getting better. I would be quite happy to see him back at VFL to give him more midfield minutes.

Last edited:

Still only 21 senior games and I reckon they’re likely evenly split defence-midfield-forward. None for an extended run of games. Sadly, it’s as often as much injury as selection that’s necessitated that.

Fickle posters. Happily, we’re not all thus inclined.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back