MMA-UFC UFC Fight Night / UFC on Fox Events

Remove this Banner Ad

As good as Cerrone is, he does not have a chin.
What? Is this a joke? Cerrone has a great chin. This is the 3rd time he's been finished by strikes. The 1st two times it was body strikes that put him away. This is the 1st time head strikes were the main reason for him getting finished. He's taken heaps of heavy strikes to the head over the years. Guillard blasted him and Diaz landed about 6 million punches to his head. It's really weird to say that he doesn't have a chin.

What? Is this a joke? Cerrone has a great chin. This is the 3rd time he's been finished by strikes. The 1st two times it was body strikes that put him away. This is the 1st time head strikes were the main reason for him getting finished. He's taken heaps of heavy strikes to the head over the years. Guillard blasted him and Diaz landed about 6 million punches to his head. It's really weird to say that he doesn't have a chin.

Should have said he's lost his chin. Not so much that he'll go to sleep, but he can't handle being hit, he drops his hands and wants to get out of there Lesnar style. Plus he hasn't had his chin tested a lot, hasn't fought too many with power in their hands.

Also the body shots from Dos Anjos weren't what did the damage, kicks caught him with the toes it was the follow up combo that put him away.

Last edited:
Happy to see Shevchenko get the win. I wouldn't have been too unhappy to see Pena win though. She'd have got destroyed by Nunes and that would have been alright. I really don't think she'd survive the 1st round with Nunes. If she did, she'd stand a good chance but I think Nunes would brutalise her in round 1. Shevchenko/Nunes 2 is probably next and that's a great fight. 5 rounds to work is good for Shevchenko. Nunes could get her out of there quickly, but if not Shevchenko likely starts to take over.

Shevchenko was a step ahead of Pena all fight. Shevchenko was the way better technician in the clinch. All Pena had going for her in the clinch was size and strength and she used it as best she could. I'm glad Pena lost because I've not been nearly as impressed with her as some others have. I think Rogan was saying that she's a great grappler in one of her fights. I didn't really see that. She's a pretty good offensive wrestler and offensive grappler, but that's about it. She's a bad defensive wrestler and a bad defensive grappler. She's all offence. And on the feet she's bad offensively and defensively. She really relies on her size and strength and that wasn't enough against Shevchenko, who's essentially a 125er.

Loved seeing Masvidal whoop Cerrone's ass. I was wrong. I thought Cerrone's work with Gibson had really closed the gap between his and Masvidal's boxing. Masvidal's still the way better boxer of the two and he showed it in there. I thought Dean was stopping the fight at the end of round 1. It didn't matter because Masvidal put it on him early in the 2nd. Masvidal and Mousasi are both improving in similar ways. For a long time they both sat back a lot and either just squeaked out decisions or lost decisions. Now both of them are really showing some killer instinct in their fights.

Ngannou has a lot of potential. Only watched his last fight recently. Damn, he's so strong. The way he pulled a HW down to the mat with the kimura grip and then finished the submission was amazing. Then he cracks Arlovski and gets his best win yet by far. He could be something special at HW.

Last edited:
Should have said he's lost his chin. Not so much that he'll go to sleep, but he can't handle being hit, he drops his hands and wants to get out of there Lesnar style. Plus he hasn't had his chin tested a lot, hasn't fought too many with power in their hands.

Also the body shots from Dos Anjos weren't what did the damage, kicks caught him with the toes it was the follow up combo that put him away.
His chin's probably not as good as it once was. He's taken a lot of shots to the head and eventually that catches up to you. I don't think this fight tells us if he's lost his chin though. He got caught flush by a slick boxer whilst kicking and was basically knocked out. Then got sent back out there pretty much out on his feet.

These problems you're pointing out have always been there for Cerrone imo. He's never reacted that well to punches, especially when pressured and given no room to breathe, because he's never been very good defensively with his boxing. I don't think this is something new. It's the same problem he's always had and he had someone able to capitalise on it in Masvidal.

Cerrone's had his chin tested plenty. He hasn't fought too many with power in their hands because LW doesn't have all that many power punchers. I think he's shown himself to have one of the best chins at LW over the years. He recently took plenty of shots from Matt Brown to the chin and got through it. Patrick Cote landed some shots on him too recently.

The body shots from RDA were what did the damage. Cerrone couldn't recover from the brutal body shots and RDA finished with head strikes. The head strikes didn't do the damage. Cerrone wasn't wobbly after the fight, his body just shut down from the body attack. It's like saying Overeem's punches to Lesnar's head were what did the damage in their fight and caused the stoppage, rather than the brutal body shots.

How is Rick Little a coach of good MMA fighters? This is baffling. First there was his inane comments about him not wanting his fighters to block body shots or leg kicks in training. Just moronic s**t. Then apparently today he said it doesn't really matter when talking about the altitude that Pena was fighting at. If the fight went into the later rounds Pena would probably have been dead tired.

Rewatched Masvidal/Cerrone. Seems pretty clear Dean was calling the fight off at the end of round 1 but then when the bell sounded he changed his mind. Not a great job by him there. At least he realised to stop the fight when he did in round 2. Not enough of those sorts of stoppages in MMA imo. They're a lot more common in boxing. Another thing that's more common in boxing is corners stopping the fight. Sending Cerrone back out there for round 2 was pretty much pointless. I believe Greg Jackson and Mike Winkeljohn have made it pretty clear that they won't stop fights, which sucks.

Enjoyed this FS1 card.

Ngannou's victory and how probably the easiest prediction but still great viewing. The hype surrounding this guy is warranted. Still reckon Sydney local Bam Bam Tuivasa could be just a big. Signed with the UFC late last year and apparently hits like Hunt :eek:

Masvidal's victory was a little surprising but not by any means an upset. Despite savagely beating Brown, Cerrone did get drop by him in their fight. May have come back a little too soon.

Shevchenko winning by submission I didn't see coming. Her & Nunes 2 will be good.

How is Rick Little a coach of good MMA fighters?.
1346106422_Sports.jpg

#headmovement
Rewatched Masvidal/Cerrone. Seems pretty clear Dean was calling the fight off at the end of round 1

That's what I thought when watching. Dana confirmed the mistake in the post fight presser.

Last edited:
How is Rick Little a coach of good MMA fighters? This is baffling. First there was his inane comments about him not wanting his fighters to block body shots or leg kicks in training. Just moronic s**t. Then apparently today he said it doesn't really matter when talking about the altitude that Pena was fighting at. If the fight went into the later rounds Pena would probably have been dead tired.
I saw that tweet, cringeworthy stuff. Shades of Cobra-Kai philosophy in his gym.

Just lost my s**t.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember Jorge on those fights. That guy he fought looked pretty decent from memory and had a heck of a chin on him. Jorge's top knot was pretty distracting though, so I could be remembering it wrong.

Caceres was involved in them too for those that didn't know:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back