MMA-UFC UFC Fight Night / UFC on Fox Events

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know, I see it differently. JDS seemed to be as fine mentally as you could expect someone to be after those terrible losses and the additional damage he took against Miocic. He was saying how he wants to fight Cain again and that he didn't take that much damage in the fights because he swells up easily. He was being a bit delusional in how positive he was being if you ask me.

After the Overeem fight I thought if anything he was physically diminished from those tough fights. I thought he seemed fine mentally. Overeem's new style didn't allow JDS to get much going. Overeem slowed the pace of the fight right down. That worked against JDS because he does his best work in a quick paced striking match-up. Overeem slowed it down, frustrated JDS and then caught him flush to end it.

Rothwell couldn't do what Overeem did. It's tough to say, but I think JDS looked so good against Rothwell because of a combination of two things; the style match-up and that he had finally made some improvements that he needed to make a long time ago. It's tough to say what was the most important reason. Is it that Rothwell is just a terrific match-up for him? Or did the improvements play the biggest part? I don't know.

Against Rothwell he made sure he got his back off of the fence very quickly. That problem caused him lots of issues against Cain both times he lost, against Miocic and against Hunt too. He didn't back straight up against Rothwell much either. That's another thing he kept doing in the past. Rothwell landed some big shots on JDS' chin and JDS took them fine. Seems like he's holding up pretty well mentally and physically, which is quite surprising to me after the tough fights he's been in.

I don't know, I see it differently. JDS seemed to be as fine mentally as you could expect someone to be after those terrible losses and the additional damage he took against Miocic. He was saying how he wants to fight Cain again and that he didn't take that much damage in the fights because he swells up easily. He was being a bit delusional in how positive he was being if you ask me.

After the Overeem fight I thought if anything he was physically diminished from those tough fights. I thought he seemed fine mentally. Overeem's new style didn't allow JDS to get much going. Overeem slowed the pace of the fight right down. That worked against JDS because he does his best work in a quick paced striking match-up. Overeem slowed it down, frustrated JDS and then caught him flush to end it.

Rothwell couldn't do what Overeem did. It's tough to say, but I think JDS looked so good against Rothwell because of a combination of two things; the style match-up and that he had finally made some improvements that he needed to make a long time ago. It's tough to say what was the most important reason. Is it that Rothwell is just a terrific match-up for him? Or did the improvements play the biggest part? I don't know.

Against Rothwell he made sure he got his back off of the fence very quickly. That problem caused him lots of issues against Cain both times he lost, against Miocic and against Hunt too. He didn't back straight up against Rothwell much either. That's another thing he kept doing in the past. Rothwell landed some big shots on JDS' chin and JDS took them fine. Seems like he's holding up pretty well mentally and physically, which is quite surprising to me after the tough fights he's been in.
I think he is finally back. He was moving with energy, took decent hits and regained composure , cardio lasted.
He could get back 2 the top but he still lackin that kill factor imo

UFC Fight Night: Overeem vs. Arlovski

Main Card (Fox Sports 3)

Alistair Overeem vs. Andrei Arlovski
Antônio Silva vs. Stefan Struve
Albert Tumenov vs. Gunnar Nelson
Germaine de Randamie vs. Anna Elmose
Nikita Krylov vs. Francimar Barroso
Karolina Kowalkiewicz vs. Heather Jo Clark

Preliminary Card (Fox Sports 3)

Lightweight Rustam Khabilov vs. Chris Wade
Magnus Cedenblad vs. Garreth McLellan
Nick Hein vs. Jon Tuck
Yan Cabral vs. Reza Madadi

Preliminary Card (UFC Fight Pass)
Kyoji Horiguchi vs. Neil Seery
Leon Edwards vs. Dominic Waters
Yuta Sasaki vs. Willie Gates

I think this card is on early Monday morning in Australia. Pretty good card. Main event is a good fight that's tough to know who'll win. Both guys hit really hard and neither have great chins. Tumenov/Nelson is very good. I think this fight favours Tumenov a lot. Krylov's almost always fun, but Barroso can suck the fun out of a fight. I really enjoy watching Kowalkiewicz fight and I think she should beat Clark. Horiguchi is great to watch fight too.

Heard today that Struve walks around at 275 pounds and when he started in the UFC he was 230 pounds. Some big changes. He talks a little about his health in the interview on the Anik and Florian podacst, the interview is about 15 mins from the end of the program for any that are interested.

Horiguchi is so much fun to watch and Seery is so tough.

Khabilov/Wade was an interesting fight. I hoped that there'd be a lot of wrestling because that's what both are best at, but Khabilov ended up winning the wrestling exchanges comfortably. That headkick by Wade was great and it's amazing how quickly Khabilov survived. Clear decision win for Khabilov in the end.

Kowalkiewicz fights at a ridiculous pace. The longer the fight went, the better it went for her.

Krylov/Barroso was fun. Krylov's continued grappling success doesn't make much sense to me. He's not a very good grappler. He makes a lot of mistakes and then all of a sudden he submits someone.

Great work in the clinch by de Randamie. That knee to the body was brutal.

I thought this was Tumenov's fight to lose. I expected him to keep it standing and beat Nelson up on the feet pretty handily. I think Tumenov really struggled with Nelson's speed. Nelson's punches seemed to surprise Tumenov with how quick they were and then when Nelson shot in for takedowns, Tumenov was on his back before he knew what was happening. Great win for Nelson.

I don't want to see Bigfoot fight again. He's been getting hurt badly by the first good shot that has landed every fight for a while now. Struve gets the win, but it doesn't tell me anything about where he's at.

Good win for Overeem. It went the way that made the most sense. Overeem was starting to take control because he had more weapons at his disposal than Arlovski. Then Overeem lands a good shot and Arlovski's done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great card tomorrow. One of the best of the year so far from top to bottom imo. The fighters on this card don't have the same name value as the fighters on UFC 198, but I think this is a better card.

I hope Almeida wins and I think he will. I think Garbrandt needs to finish the fight in the first round to win. If he doesn't I think Almeida will take over. Almeida's last fight showed that he learned from his fight with Pickett. Against Birchak he was more measured and he'll need to be like that against Garbrandt. Eventually I see Almeida's output being too much for Birchak leading to an Almeida KO. It could be at the end of round 1, but more likely it'll be a bit later in the fight.

Really looking forward to this Camozzi-Miranda fight.

Both coming off some impressive performances, should be sick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back